Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Internet Connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:00:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi,

I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed a
D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first PC
and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The router
presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The problem
appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired dsl
modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear possible
unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone tell
me what to do ?

Thanks

Peter
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

hi

i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the box
in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left dhcp
turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is of
some help to you, Alan

"Peter Kennedy" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed a
> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first PC
> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The router
> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The problem
> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired dsl
> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear possible
> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone tell
> me what to do ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
>
>
July 2, 2005 8:00:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi

If you want to use properly your new Router you have to install a network
card in the wired computer and connect it to the Router via RJ-45 port using
CAT5e cable.

The USB modem has to go to the closet (and ICS too).

It should be connected like this: http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

The new Router should be configured for DSL as describe here (unless it
works differently in France): http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Once your Wired Computer works well you can attend to the Wireless part.

This might help for the Wireless.

Wireless - Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).





"Peter Kennedy" <nothanks@nono.com> wrote in message
news:u8WJ05wfFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
a
> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
PC
> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
router
> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
problem
> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
dsl
> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
possible
> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
tell
> me what to do ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:27:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Alan,

Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this is
relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where I'm
supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's no
WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
this means anything to you ?

Thanks

Peter

"Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
> hi
>
> i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
> says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
> box
> in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
> because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
> dhcp
> turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is
> of
> some help to you, Alan
>
> "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
>> a
>> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
>> PC
>> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
>> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am
>> a
>> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
>> router
>> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
>> problem
>> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
>> dsl
>> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
>> possible
>> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
>> don't
>> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
>> tell
>> me what to do ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:27:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

hello

have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics with
the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem you orig
got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as it is
explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit many of
these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in 15minutes,
have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through what to
do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you are on
thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save all, if
you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep, click ok to
multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget code of
your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router, make
sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for a
solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you can
login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and see if
you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user / pass
wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in never
dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on, Alan

"Peter Kennedy" wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this is
> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where I'm
> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's no
> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
> this means anything to you ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
> > hi
> >
> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
> > box
> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
> > dhcp
> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is
> > of
> > some help to you, Alan
> >
> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
> >> a
> >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
> >> PC
> >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
> >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am
> >> a
> >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
> >> router
> >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
> >> problem
> >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
> >> dsl
> >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
> >> possible
> >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
> >> don't
> >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
> >> tell
> >> me what to do ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:24:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Alan

Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for my
wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want to
keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my problems ?
Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I am
disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
something daft going on here methinks.
Any ideas ?

Thanks

Peter

"Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...
> hello
>
> have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics with
> the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem you
> orig
> got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as it
> is
> explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit many
> of
> these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in 15minutes,
> have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through what
> to
> do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you are
> on
> thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
> username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save all,
> if
> you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep, click ok
> to
> multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget code
> of
> your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router, make
> sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for a
> solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you can
> login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and see
> if
> you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user / pass
> wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in never
> dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on, Alan
>
> "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>
>> Alan,
>>
>> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this
>> is
>> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where
>> I'm
>> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's
>> no
>> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
>> this means anything to you ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>> message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
>> > hi
>> >
>> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the
>> > router
>> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
>> > box
>> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this
>> > is
>> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
>> > dhcp
>> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this
>> > is
>> > of
>> > some help to you, Alan
>> >
>> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just
>> >> installed
>> >> a
>> >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the
>> >> first
>> >> PC
>> >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish
>> >> a
>> >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I
>> >> am
>> >> a
>> >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
>> >> router
>> >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
>> >> problem
>> >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my
>> >> wired
>> >> dsl
>> >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
>> >> possible
>> >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
>> >> don't
>> >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can
>> >> anyone
>> >> tell
>> >> me what to do ?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks
>> >>
>> >> Peter
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:24:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

hello

are you connecting with a usb modem at the moment? you cannot have a router
and usb modem connected at the same time, the router is an all in one device
and does the job lot for you, i do not understand why you are using
ics(intenet connection sharing) as the router will allow ian nternet
connection to as many pcs at the same time as you have, with ref to your
being disconncted it may appear you are typing in an incorrect user or
password, who is you isp ?, its a shame you do not live near me you could
hire my services to sort it out :) , were are you located ?
keep me informed Alan

"Peter Kennedy" wrote:

> Alan
>
> Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for my
> wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want to
> keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my problems ?
> Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
> connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I am
> disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
> something daft going on here methinks.
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
>
> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...
> > hello
> >
> > have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics with
> > the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem you
> > orig
> > got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as it
> > is
> > explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit many
> > of
> > these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in 15minutes,
> > have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through what
> > to
> > do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you are
> > on
> > thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
> > username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save all,
> > if
> > you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep, click ok
> > to
> > multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget code
> > of
> > your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router, make
> > sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for a
> > solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you can
> > login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and see
> > if
> > you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user / pass
> > wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in never
> > dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on, Alan
> >
> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
> >
> >> Alan,
> >>
> >> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this
> >> is
> >> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where
> >> I'm
> >> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's
> >> no
> >> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
> >> this means anything to you ?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> >> message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
> >> > hi
> >> >
> >> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the
> >> > router
> >> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
> >> > box
> >> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this
> >> > is
> >> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
> >> > dhcp
> >> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this
> >> > is
> >> > of
> >> > some help to you, Alan
> >> >
> >> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Hi,
> >> >>
> >> >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just
> >> >> installed
> >> >> a
> >> >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the
> >> >> first
> >> >> PC
> >> >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish
> >> >> a
> >> >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I
> >> >> am
> >> >> a
> >> >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
> >> >> router
> >> >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
> >> >> problem
> >> >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my
> >> >> wired
> >> >> dsl
> >> >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
> >> >> possible
> >> >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
> >> >> don't
> >> >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can
> >> >> anyone
> >> >> tell
> >> >> me what to do ?
> >> >>
> >> >> Thanks
> >> >>
> >> >> Peter
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:50:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Alan,

Sorry, I'm in France. Oh, I'll sort this out, I always do in the end. I'm
using ICS for the wired network which uses a USB router for Internet access.
The wireless connection shouldn't be using ICS, I didn't tell it to anyway.
I think that what is happening is that when I disconnect the USB modem's
telephone cable and plug in the wireless modem's and then try and connect to
the internet, Internet Explorer is looking for its usual connection, ie via
the USB modem. And when I think I've not even got around to setting up the
LAN yet :o ((

Cheers

Peter


"Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 1FDABBBB-36A8-4413-B983-04FF6929651E@microsoft.com...
> hello
>
> are you connecting with a usb modem at the moment? you cannot have a
> router
> and usb modem connected at the same time, the router is an all in one
> device
> and does the job lot for you, i do not understand why you are using
> ics(intenet connection sharing) as the router will allow ian nternet
> connection to as many pcs at the same time as you have, with ref to your
> being disconncted it may appear you are typing in an incorrect user or
> password, who is you isp ?, its a shame you do not live near me you could
> hire my services to sort it out :) , were are you located ?
> keep me informed Alan
>
> "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>
>> Alan
>>
>> Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for
>> my
>> wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want
>> to
>> keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my problems
>> ?
>> Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
>> connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I
>> am
>> disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
>> something daft going on here methinks.
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>> message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...
>> > hello
>> >
>> > have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics
>> > with
>> > the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem you
>> > orig
>> > got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as
>> > it
>> > is
>> > explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit
>> > many
>> > of
>> > these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in
>> > 15minutes,
>> > have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through
>> > what
>> > to
>> > do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you
>> > are
>> > on
>> > thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
>> > username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save
>> > all,
>> > if
>> > you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep, click
>> > ok
>> > to
>> > multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget
>> > code
>> > of
>> > your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router,
>> > make
>> > sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for
>> > a
>> > solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you
>> > can
>> > login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and
>> > see
>> > if
>> > you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user /
>> > pass
>> > wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in
>> > never
>> > dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on,
>> > Alan
>> >
>> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Alan,
>> >>
>> >> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether
>> >> this
>> >> is
>> >> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup
>> >> where
>> >> I'm
>> >> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says
>> >> there's
>> >> no
>> >> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads.
>> >> Does
>> >> this means anything to you ?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks
>> >>
>> >> Peter
>> >>
>> >> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>> >> message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
>> >> > hi
>> >> >
>> >> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the
>> >> > router
>> >> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick
>> >> > the
>> >> > box
>> >> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection (
>> >> > this
>> >> > is
>> >> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup /
>> >> > left
>> >> > dhcp
>> >> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope
>> >> > this
>> >> > is
>> >> > of
>> >> > some help to you, Alan
>> >> >
>> >> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> Hi,
>> >> >>
>> >> >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just
>> >> >> installed
>> >> >> a
>> >> >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the
>> >> >> first
>> >> >> PC
>> >> >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to
>> >> >> establish
>> >> >> a
>> >> >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However,
>> >> >> I
>> >> >> am
>> >> >> a
>> >> >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet.
>> >> >> The
>> >> >> router
>> >> >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ?
>> >> >> The
>> >> >> problem
>> >> >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my
>> >> >> wired
>> >> >> dsl
>> >> >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
>> >> >> possible
>> >> >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which
>> >> >> I
>> >> >> don't
>> >> >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can
>> >> >> anyone
>> >> >> tell
>> >> >> me what to do ?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Thanks
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Peter
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:48:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Alan,

I told you I'd sort it. Stupid problem with the password. Ruined my day and
nearly cost me a divorce. Never mind, all is well now except that I've got
to sort out the encryption and the LAN so more fun and games tomorrow ;o)

Cheers

Peter

"Peter Kennedy" <nothanks@nono.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
ujKy$5yfFHA.3916@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Alan,
>
> Sorry, I'm in France. Oh, I'll sort this out, I always do in the end. I'm
> using ICS for the wired network which uses a USB router for Internet
> access. The wireless connection shouldn't be using ICS, I didn't tell it
> to anyway. I think that what is happening is that when I disconnect the
> USB modem's telephone cable and plug in the wireless modem's and then try
> and connect to the internet, Internet Explorer is looking for its usual
> connection, ie via the USB modem. And when I think I've not even got
> around to setting up the LAN yet :o ((
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
>
> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> message de news: 1FDABBBB-36A8-4413-B983-04FF6929651E@microsoft.com...
>> hello
>>
>> are you connecting with a usb modem at the moment? you cannot have a
>> router
>> and usb modem connected at the same time, the router is an all in one
>> device
>> and does the job lot for you, i do not understand why you are using
>> ics(intenet connection sharing) as the router will allow ian nternet
>> connection to as many pcs at the same time as you have, with ref to your
>> being disconncted it may appear you are typing in an incorrect user or
>> password, who is you isp ?, its a shame you do not live near me you could
>> hire my services to sort it out :) , were are you located ?
>> keep me informed Alan
>>
>> "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>>
>>> Alan
>>>
>>> Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for
>>> my
>>> wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want
>>> to
>>> keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my
>>> problems ?
>>> Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
>>> connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I
>>> am
>>> disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
>>> something daft going on here methinks.
>>> Any ideas ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>>> message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...
>>> > hello
>>> >
>>> > have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics
>>> > with
>>> > the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem
>>> > you
>>> > orig
>>> > got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as
>>> > it
>>> > is
>>> > explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit
>>> > many
>>> > of
>>> > these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in
>>> > 15minutes,
>>> > have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through
>>> > what
>>> > to
>>> > do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you
>>> > are
>>> > on
>>> > thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
>>> > username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save
>>> > all,
>>> > if
>>> > you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep,
>>> > click ok
>>> > to
>>> > multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget
>>> > code
>>> > of
>>> > your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router,
>>> > make
>>> > sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for
>>> > a
>>> > solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you
>>> > can
>>> > login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and
>>> > see
>>> > if
>>> > you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user /
>>> > pass
>>> > wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in
>>> > never
>>> > dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on,
>>> > Alan
>>> >
>>> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> Alan,
>>> >>
>>> >> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether
>>> >> this
>>> >> is
>>> >> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup
>>> >> where
>>> >> I'm
>>> >> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says
>>> >> there's
>>> >> no
>>> >> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads.
>>> >> Does
>>> >> this means anything to you ?
>>> >>
>>> >> Thanks
>>> >>
>>> >> Peter
>>> >>
>>> >> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans
>>> >> le
>>> >> message de news:
>>> >> 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
>>> >> > hi
>>> >> >
>>> >> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the
>>> >> > router
>>> >> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick
>>> >> > the
>>> >> > box
>>> >> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection (
>>> >> > this
>>> >> > is
>>> >> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup /
>>> >> > left
>>> >> > dhcp
>>> >> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope
>>> >> > this
>>> >> > is
>>> >> > of
>>> >> > some help to you, Alan
>>> >> >
>>> >> > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
>>> >> >
>>> >> >> Hi,
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just
>>> >> >> installed
>>> >> >> a
>>> >> >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the
>>> >> >> first
>>> >> >> PC
>>> >> >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to
>>> >> >> establish
>>> >> >> a
>>> >> >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order.
>>> >> >> However, I
>>> >> >> am
>>> >> >> a
>>> >> >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet.
>>> >> >> The
>>> >> >> router
>>> >> >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ?
>>> >> >> The
>>> >> >> problem
>>> >> >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my
>>> >> >> wired
>>> >> >> dsl
>>> >> >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
>>> >> >> possible
>>> >> >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which
>>> >> >> I
>>> >> >> don't
>>> >> >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can
>>> >> >> anyone
>>> >> >> tell
>>> >> >> me what to do ?
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> Thanks
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >> Peter
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>
>>> >> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
!