Wireless Internet Connection

Hi,

I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed a
D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first PC
and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The router
presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The problem
appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired dsl
modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear possible
unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone tell
me what to do ?

Thanks

Peter
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless internet connection

    hi

    i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
    says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the box
    in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
    because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left dhcp
    turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is of
    some help to you, Alan

    "Peter Kennedy" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed a
    > D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first PC
    > and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
    > connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
    > loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The router
    > presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The problem
    > appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired dsl
    > modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear possible
    > unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
    > want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone tell
    > me what to do ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    Hi

    If you want to use properly your new Router you have to install a network
    card in the wired computer and connect it to the Router via RJ-45 port using
    CAT5e cable.

    The USB modem has to go to the closet (and ICS too).

    It should be connected like this: http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    The new Router should be configured for DSL as describe here (unless it
    works differently in France): http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Once your Wired Computer works well you can attend to the Wireless part.

    This might help for the Wireless.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Peter Kennedy" <nothanks@nono.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
    > D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
    PC
    > and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
    > connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am a
    > loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
    router
    > presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
    problem
    > appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
    dsl
    > modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
    possible
    > unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I don't
    > want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
    tell
    > me what to do ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    Alan,

    Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this is
    relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where I'm
    supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's no
    WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
    this means anything to you ?

    Thanks

    Peter

    "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
    > hi
    >
    > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
    > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
    > box
    > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
    > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
    > dhcp
    > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is
    > of
    > some help to you, Alan
    >
    > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
    >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
    >> PC
    >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
    >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am
    >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
    >> router
    >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
    >> problem
    >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
    >> dsl
    >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
    >> possible
    >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
    >> don't
    >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
    >> tell
    >> me what to do ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter

    hello

    have you got a D-Link DSL-G604T , you mention ics ? no need for ics with
    the equipment you have, i do take it you ARENOT using the usb modem you orig
    got ?, i would advise reading the manual that came with the router as it is
    explained in thier how to setup, i work in this line of work and fit many of
    these routers the exact one you mention and can set them up in 15minutes,
    have you followed the instruction manual, i will quickly run through what to
    do, login tto the router, goto connection one (depending which isp you are on
    thses settings may be applicable) change to vc. (vcmux) out in you isp
    username and password, apply the settings, goto tools menu and save all, if
    you are using wireless as well goto the wireless tab, enable wep, click ok to
    multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget code of
    your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router, make
    sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for a
    solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you can
    login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and see if
    you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user / pass
    wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in never
    dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on, Alan

    "Peter Kennedy" wrote:

    > Alan,
    >
    > Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this is
    > relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where I'm
    > supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's no
    > WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
    > this means anything to you ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    > message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
    > > hi
    > >
    > > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the router
    > > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
    > > box
    > > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this is
    > > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
    > > dhcp
    > > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this is
    > > of
    > > some help to you, Alan
    > >
    > > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I have a wired lan with dsl Internet connection and I have just installed
    > >> D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem-router. The connection between the first
    > >> PC
    > >> and the router is fine and I have entered the info needed to establish a
    > >> connection with my ISP. Everything appears to be in order. However, I am
    > >> loss at how to actually establish a connection with the Internet. The
    > >> router
    > >> presumably is connected so how do actually access the Internet ? The
    > >> problem
    > >> appears to be that Internet Explorer, Firefox etc. all point to my wired
    > >> dsl
    > >> modem. I have to tried to add a connection but this doesn't appear
    > >> possible
    > >> unless presumably I delete the existing - wired - connection which I
    > >> don't
    > >> want to do. This is a basic question and I feel pretty dumb. Can anyone
    > >> tell
    > >> me what to do ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Peter

    Alan

    Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for my
    wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want to
    keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my problems ?
    Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
    connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I am
    disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
    something daft going on here methinks.
    Any ideas ?

    message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does
    >> this means anything to you ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    >> message de news: 66D61034-DCFA-49A5-B869-778BEB0C5A7E@microsoft.com...
    >> > hi
    >> >
    >> > i presume you have programmed the isp info intothe router and the
    >> > router
    >> > says its connected to your isp, if this is correct then simply tick the
    >> > box
    >> > in internet exp connection settings to never dial a connection ( this
    >> > is
    >> > because it is always present ) i also assume that you have setup / left
    >> > dhcp
    >> > turned on in the router and have your adaptors set to dhcp, hope this

    hello

    are you connecting with a usb modem at the moment? you cannot have a router
    and usb modem connected at the same time, the router is an all in one device
    and does the job lot for you, i do not understand why you are using
    ics(intenet connection sharing) as the router will allow ian nternet
    connection to as many pcs at the same time as you have, with ref to your
    being disconncted it may appear you are typing in an incorrect user or
    password, who is you isp ?, its a shame you do not live near me you could
    hire my services to sort it out :), were are you located ?
    keep me informed Alan

    "Peter Kennedy" wrote:

> [...]
    > > login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and see
    > > if
    > > you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user / pass
    > > wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in never
    > > dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on, Alan
    > >
    > > "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Alan,
    > >>
    > >> Yes, all is as you say. The wired network uses ICS. I don't whether this
    > >> is
    > >> relevant. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the router setup where
    > >> I'm
    > >> supposed to enter the IP of the ISP. In the router setup, it says there's
    > >> no
    > >> WAN connection and when I click on "connect", the page just reloads. Does

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Alan,

    Sorry, I'm in France. Oh, I'll sort this out, I always do in the end. I'm
    using ICS for the wired network which uses a USB router for Internet access.
    The wireless connection shouldn't be using ICS, I didn't tell it to anyway.
    I think that what is happening is that when I disconnect the USB modem's
    telephone cable and plug in the wireless modem's and then try and connect to
    the internet, Internet Explorer is looking for its usual connection, ie via
    the USB modem. And when I think I've not even got around to setting up the
    LAN yet :O((

    Cheers

    message de news: 1FDABBBB-36A8-4413-B983-04FF6929651E@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> > multiple ssid disabled, use 64bit if you like and type in a 10 didget
    >> > code
    >> > of
    >> > your choice, click apply, tools menu again save all, retsart router,
    >> > make
    >> > sure u have your telephone cable plugged into it, and your looking for
    >> > solid adsl light which will flicker when data is being transfered, you
    >> > can
    >> > login into the router again and goto dsl status in the tools menu and
    >> > see
    >> > if
    >> > you are conencted to ur isp, if you are not you may have typed user /
    >> > pass
    >> > wrong, if you are connected in internet exp make sure the dot is in
    >> > never
    >> > dial a connection and you should be on, letg me know how you go on,

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Alan,

    I told you I'd sort it. Stupid problem with the password. Ruined my day and
    nearly cost me a divorce. Never mind, all is well now except that I've got
    to sort out the encryption and the LAN so more fun and games tomorrow ;o)

    Cheers

    Peter

    "Peter Kennedy" <nothanks@nono.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    ujKy$5yfFHA.3916@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Alan,
    >
    > Sorry, I'm in France. Oh, I'll sort this out, I always do in the end. I'm
    > using ICS for the wired network which uses a USB router for Internet
    > access. The wireless connection shouldn't be using ICS, I didn't tell it
    > to anyway. I think that what is happening is that when I disconnect the
    > USB modem's telephone cable and plug in the wireless modem's and then try
    > and connect to the internet, Internet Explorer is looking for its usual
    > connection, ie via the USB modem. And when I think I've not even got
    > around to setting up the LAN yet :O((
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    > message de news: 1FDABBBB-36A8-4413-B983-04FF6929651E@microsoft.com...
    >> hello
    >>
    >> are you connecting with a usb modem at the moment? you cannot have a
    >> router
    >> and usb modem connected at the same time, the router is an all in one
    >> device
    >> and does the job lot for you, i do not understand why you are using
    >> ics(intenet connection sharing) as the router will allow ian nternet
    >> connection to as many pcs at the same time as you have, with ref to your
    >> being disconncted it may appear you are typing in an incorrect user or
    >> password, who is you isp ?, its a shame you do not live near me you could
    >> hire my services to sort it out :), were are you located ?
    >> keep me informed Alan
    >>
    >> "Peter Kennedy" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Alan
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. I've done what you say but it still doesn't work. I use ICS for
    >>> my
    >>> wired connection which is enabling me to send this message ;o)). I want
    >>> keep the wired connection just in case - is this the cause of my
    >>> problems ?
    >>> Now, in "tools/DSL Status", I see that there is some traffic so the
    >>> connection appears to be OK. However, in "connection status", it says I
    >>> am
    >>> disconnected and when I press on connect, the page just reloads. There's
    >>> something daft going on here methinks.
    >>> Any ideas ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>
    >>> "Alan Sanders" <AlanSanders@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
    >>> message de news: 15EF02A0-939C-4CB1-8BF0-59051F2EB32B@microsoft.com...

Connection Internet Service Providers Wireless Internet Wireless Networking