NTFS file system corrupted - cannot boot into XP

Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!

I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
meaningful file names or directories.

The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
Windows 98 CD at my disposal.

My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.

Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
please?

==============

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

How about hooking the drive as a slave to another drive that has a
functional Windows XP or Windows 2000 and trying to access your data?
Although there is a risk of transmitting the virus to the other drive if
this is really a virus.
"mwh7000" <michael.harris7@virgin-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!
>
> I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
> By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
> that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
> meaningful file names or directories.
>
> The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
> this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
> professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
> Windows 98 CD at my disposal.
>
> My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
> please?
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

"mwh7000" <michael.harris7@virgin-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!
>
> I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
> By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
> that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
> meaningful file names or directories.
>
> The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
> this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
> professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
> Windows 98 CD at my disposal.
>
> My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
> please?

I know of three people this has happened to recently, all of which were
using fully upto-date AV software. Is it possible there is some kind of
virus doing the rounds that none of the AV S/W companies have picked up on?
I dunno, just seems a coincidence.
In all three cases, the only solution was a reformat and re-install, would
be interested to hear if you can recover anything...

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "mwh7000" <michael.harris7@virgin-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message
> > Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!
> >
> > I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
> > By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
> > that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
> > meaningful file names or directories.
> >
> > The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
> > this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
> > professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
> > Windows 98 CD at my disposal.
> >
> > My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
> > please?
> >
> I know of three people this has happened to recently, all of which were
> using fully upto-date AV software. Is it possible there is some kind of
> virus doing the rounds that none of the AV S/W companies have picked up
on?
> I dunno, just seems a coincidence.
> In all three cases, the only solution was a reformat and re-install, would
> be interested to hear if you can recover anything...

I don't know if this will help, but I have some information on this problem.
The exact same thing happened to a system I just finished re-building.
Prior to having the file system corrupted, it was a VERY well protected
system. There is a very nasty virus going around. I don't know the exact
virus, but one of the following three trojans is the delivery vehicle. I
haven't been able to narrow down which one, but maybe all three? I mean,
they're all bad (obviously), so why assume that only one is to blame? -Dave
(following from AVG, scan of NTFS partition where Windows XP was installed)

Results of Complete Test, date and time 8/30/2004 15:52:17 :

Testing I:\ serial A062-CBB3
I:\Program Files\IncrediFind\BHO\IncFindBHO.dll Trojan horse Downloader
Keenval.N
I:\Program Files\IncrediFind\BHO\TIPB.EXE Trojan horse Downloader.Keenval.M
I:\WINDOWS\iDefender\def_bundle.exe Trojan horse Downloader.Xren.A
I:\WINDOWS\INETPAL\M3TSP8.EXE Trojan horse Dropper.Small.6.L

Test finished, duration 00:08:08.4 s
12304 objects tested, 4 found infected

"mwh7000" <michael.harris7@virgin-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!
>
> I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
> By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
> that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
> meaningful file names or directories.
>
> The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
> this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
> professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
> Windows 98 CD at my disposal.
>
> My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
> please?

Try this from MS Knowledge Base, along with other links on the page. Good
Luck.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397

peter

In article <413655f3_3@alt.athenanews.com>, michael.harris7@virgin-dot-
net.no-spam.invalid says...
> Help - it looks like my PC has been struck by a virus!
>
> I get a message saying cannot find NTLDR so I can't boot into XP Home.
> By loading the recovery console and running a DIR command, I find
> that the whole file system has been corrupted and there aren't any
> meaningful file names or directories.
>
> The system comes with CDs to recover the PC to its original state but
> this would wipe out all my data. I have used a Windows XP
> professional disc to get into the recovery console and also have a
> Windows 98 CD at my disposal.
>
> My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.
>
> Can anyone suggest any way of recovering the contents of my hard disk
> please?

Well, if nothing else seems to be working, you could try out some of the
file recovery software out there (with varying degrees of cost and
success), such as Virtual Lab, Handy Recovery, Active Undelete and Easy
Recover Pro. I believe all these have some built in Allocation Table
recovery, though they're called something else with XP, something like
Microsoft File Table. Anyways, most of these claim to be able to
reclaim virus affect Allocation Tables etc. so it may be worth having a
look.
--
Pete Ives