PS2 Mouse Isn't Recongnized

I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port connector.

I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a USB
connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using it
on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.

machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse

I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It also
has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a serial to
PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks like
a bear claw. It works fine.

I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse mentioned
in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine. (The
bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)

When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to hook up
a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.

Can anyone help me on this?

TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about mouse recongnized

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:26:34 GMT, Jeff <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote:

    >>>I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port connector.
    >>>
    >>>I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a USB
    >>>connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using it
    >>>on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >>>
    >>>machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >>>

    >>>I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It also
    >>>has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a serial to
    >>>PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    >>>that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks like
    >>>a bear claw. It works fine.
    >>>
    >>>I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse mentioned
    >>>in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine. (The
    >>>bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >>>
    >>>When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to hook up
    >>>a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    >>>doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone help me on this?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    I just changed over from a serial mouse to a PS/2 mouse on my folks
    machine. It is an old Asus board and I had to change some jumpers on
    the motherboard as well as in the BIOS to change over. Might
    investigate that.

    --
    The Seabat

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:26:34 GMT, Jeff <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote:

    >I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port connector.
    >
    >I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a USB
    >connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using it
    >on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >
    >machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >

    >I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It also
    >has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a serial to
    >PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    >that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks like
    >a bear claw. It works fine.
    >
    >I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse mentioned
    >in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine. (The
    >bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >
    >When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to hook up
    >a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    >doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >
    >Can anyone help me on this?
    >
    >TIA
    Not all mice will work with a PS/2 converter fitted to a serial
    connection.

    Buying a serial mouse would seem most satisfactory solution.

    KM

    remove the mouse drivers from the device manager and reboot

    seabat <seabat@boardermail.com> wrote in

    > I just changed over from a serial mouse to a PS/2 mouse on my folks
    > machine. It is an old Asus board and I had to change some jumpers on
    > the motherboard as well as in the BIOS to change over. Might
    > investigate that.

    I'll have to check it out. This is also an old Asus board.

    Thanks

    km <kevin44@mcgeek.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:26:34 GMT, Jeff <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port
    connector.

    >>I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a USB
    >>connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using it
    >>on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >>
    >>machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >>

    >>I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It
    also
    >>has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a serial
    >>PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    >>that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks
    like
    >>a bear claw. It works fine.
    >>
    >>I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse
    mentioned
    >>in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine. (The
    >>bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >>
    >>When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to hook
    up
    >>a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    >>doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help me on this?
    >>
    >>TIA
    > Not all mice will work with a PS/2 converter fitted to a serial
    > connection.
    >
    > Buying a serial mouse would seem most satisfactory solution.
    >
    > KM

    Hmmm...I didn't know they still made them, esp. optical. I've got
    plenty of old serial mice, but not optical.

    Thanks

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in news:10jegb2ld33an19
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > remove the mouse drivers from the device manager and reboot
    >

    > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port
    > connector.
    >>
    >> I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a
    > USB
    >> connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using
    > it
    >> on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >>
    >> machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >>

    >> I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It
    > also
    >> has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a
    > serial to
    >> PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    >> that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks
    > like
    >> a bear claw. It works fine.
    >>
    >> I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse
    > mentioned
    >> in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine.
    > (The
    >> bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >>
    >> When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to
    > hook up
    >> a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    >> doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me on this?
    >>
    >> TIA

    Did that. No go.

    Jeff <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in news:Xns9557CFF4EB11Fstetson@
    63.240.76.16:

    > I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port
    connector.

    > I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a USB
    > connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using it
    > on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >
    > machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >

    > I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It
    also
    > has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a serial
    > PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    > that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks
    like
    > a bear claw. It works fine.
    >
    > I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse
    mentioned
    > in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine. (The
    > bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >
    > When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to hook
    up
    > a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    > doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >
    > Can anyone help me on this?
    >
    > TIA

    I need a part...
    The motherboard is an Asus P6NP5, vintage 1996. I checked the user's
    manual, and per page 19, section 5, External Connectors:

    PS/2 Mouse Connector (6-pin block)
    If you are using a P/S2 mouse, you must purchase an optional PS/2 mouse
    set which connects to the 6 pin block and mounts to an open slot on your
    computer's case. The system will direct IRQ12 to the PS/2 mouse if one
    is detected. If not detected, expansion cards can use IRQ12. See PS/2
    Mouse Control in BIOS FEATURES SETUP.

    So, that explains it. Even though the BIOS is set to autodetect a PS/2
    mouse, it's not detecting one because I've been connecting it to the
    serial COM1 port.

    Now, I need to locate a PS/2 mouse 'set'. It's a 6 pin male connector
    on one end that connects to the mthbd, and the round PS/2 female
    connector on the other end that mounts to the pc case. I've googled all
    over, but can't find this. I'm going to start scavenging some other
    machines I have, but off hand, I don't think I have this beast anywhere.

    Can anyone point me to some online shops that might have this relic?

    Thanks

    Bruce wrote:

    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in news:10jegb2ld33an19
    > @corp.supernews.com:
    >

    >>remove the mouse drivers from the device manager and reboot
    >>

    >>"Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've got an old P1 running Win98. It has a serial mouse port
    >>
    >>connector.
    >>
    >>>I have a basic Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse that ends in a
    >>
    >>USB
    >>
    >>>connection, that came with a USB to PS2 converter. I've been using
    >>
    >>it
    >>
    >>>on this old machine that has a serial to PS2 connector, just fine.
    >>>
    >>>machine--serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse
    >>>

    >>>I've got another machine, of similar vintage, running Win98SE. It
    >>
    >>also
    >>
    >>>has a serial mouse port connection, to which I've plugged in a
    >>
    >>serial to
    >>
    >>>PS2 converter, and connected an old Logitech Mouse Man Serial mouse,
    >>>that has a PS2 plug. It's the one that has three buttons and looks
    >>
    >>like
    >>
    >>>a bear claw. It works fine.
    >>>
    >>>I now want to hook up the Microsoft optical wheel wired mouse
    >>
    >>mentioned
    >>
    >>>in paragraph 2, with the same connection set up, to this machine.
    >>
    >>(The
    >>
    >>>bios is set to automatically recognize a PS2 mouse.)
    >>>
    >>>When I do, Win98 tells me no mouse was detected and if I want to
    >>
    >>hook up
    >>
    >>>a PS2 mouse, I have to restart the machine. I have, but it still
    >>>doesn't work. The mouse never lights up, or is recognized.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone help me on this?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>

    > Did that. No go.

    The only thing that confuses me in your dilemma is how in the world you
    managed to get the serial port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse setup
    to work on the other one because ps2 mice do not work on serial ports; the
    signals are just not there: in particular, the ps/2 clock. The mice those
    PS/2-serial adapters were made for are special "combo" mice that 'work both
    ways'.

    And not all USB mice work with the USB to PS/2 adapters either, and for the
    same reason: USB doesn't have the data clock that PS/2 does. Near as I can
    tell you ended up with some serendipitous combination of multiple wrongs
    making a right.

    I actually found ONE motherboard to PS/2 cable/bracket. I don't know if it
    goes just straight on yours but maybe it could be adapted, plus they claim
    to have great support to help with that kind of thing.

    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ps2-add-on-cable.htm

    David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in

    > Bruce wrote:
    >
    >> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in news:10jegb2ld33an19
    >> @corp.supernews.com:
    >>

    >>>remove the mouse drivers from the device manager and reboot
    >>>

    >>>"Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message

    >>>connector.

    >>>USB

    >>>it

    >>>also

    >>>serial to

    >>>like

    >>>mentioned

    >>>(The

    >>>hook up

    >> Did that. No go.
    >
    > The only thing that confuses me in your dilemma is how in the world
    > you managed to get the serial
    > port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse setup to work on the other
    > one because ps2 mice do not work on serial ports; the signals are just
    > not there: in particular, the ps/2 clock. The mice those PS/2-serial
    > adapters were made for are special "combo" mice that 'work both ways'.
    >
    > And not all USB mice work with the USB to PS/2 adapters either, and
    > for the same reason: USB doesn't have the data clock that PS/2 does.
    > Near as I can tell you ended up with some serendipitous combination of
    > multiple wrongs making a right.

    Hi, David,

    I thought I was the only one that used serendipitous.

    I wasn't responsible for getting it to work on that machine. I got that
    setup from our IT department, who was getting rid of the machine years
    ago. I use it mainly for storage and it's networked in my garage. I
    never really questioned the setup until I ran into the situation I have
    now. Now it confuses me, too. Next time I open up the case or go into
    the bios, I might investigate a little.

    > I actually found ONE motherboard to PS/2 cable/bracket. I don't know
    > if it goes just straight on yours but maybe it could be adapted, plus
    > they claim to have great support to help with that kind of thing.
    >
    > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ps2-add-on-cable.htm

    Funny, that's the one I found, too. The pin assignments are not the
    proper ones for the Asus I have, but I could rewire.

    Asus assignments are:
    1 gnd 2 data 3 4 vcc
    5 clk 6 7 8

    Thanks for all the help.

    Bruce wrote:
    > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Bruce wrote:
    >>

    >>>"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in news:10jegb2ld33an19
    >>>@corp.supernews.com:

    >>>Did that. No go.
    >>
    >>The only thing that confuses me in your dilemma is how in the world
    >>you managed to get the serial
    >>port---serial/PS2---PS2/USB---USB===mouse setup to work on the other
    >>one because ps2 mice do not work on serial ports; the signals are just
    >>not there: in particular, the ps/2 clock. The mice those PS/2-serial
    >>adapters were made for are special "combo" mice that 'work both ways'.
    >>
    >>And not all USB mice work with the USB to PS/2 adapters either, and
    >>for the same reason: USB doesn't have the data clock that PS/2 does.
    >>Near as I can tell you ended up with some serendipitous combination of
    >>multiple wrongs making a right.
    >

    > Hi, David,
    >
    > I thought I was the only one that used serendipitous.

    Shows you have good taste too ;)

    So much more lyrical than 'just plain lucky', dontcha think?

    > I wasn't responsible for getting it to work on that machine. I got that
    > setup from our IT department, who was getting rid of the machine years
    > ago. I use it mainly for storage and it's networked in my garage. I
    > never really questioned the setup until I ran into the situation I have
    > now. Now it confuses me, too. Next time I open up the case or go into
    > the bios, I might investigate a little.

    Hard to tell but I suspect the key is the USB mouse being one of those
    'dual mode' things (the ones that come with PS/2 adapters) and it may even
    have 'invented' a mode somehow: like the I/O lines 'sensed' it should
    operate single ended, as with PS/2 style signals, but the decoder says, but
    hey, it's no-clock serial data.

    The problem with that is serial ports don't always work with 0-5V signals
    because, 'officially', they require '1' to be <= -3V (it's a bipolar +-
    3-25v signal) but modern electronics often 'cheat', because it's simple and
    cheap, and simply snip off the negative swing; interpreting anything near
    zero (and below) to be the 'mark' (1) signal.

    Note that a single bipolar line with ground, rs232 serial, is not the same
    thing as a + and - differential pair, as in USB.

    >>I actually found ONE motherboard to PS/2 cable/bracket. I don't know
    >>if it goes just straight on yours but maybe it could be adapted, plus
    >>they claim to have great support to help with that kind of thing.
    >>
    >>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ps2-add-on-cable.htm
    >>

    > Funny, that's the one I found, too. The pin assignments are not the
    > proper ones for the Asus I have, but I could rewire.
    >
    > Asus assignments are:
    > 1 gnd 2 data 3 4 vcc
    > 5 clk 6 7 8

    Amusing as that's the same pinout as their Tyan S1571S 'tricky example', so
    you have the instructions right there on the web page, assuming your pinout
    list is from the same 'insert the wires' side (top view).

    For 13 bucks, though, I'd probably find an old PS/2 DIN somewhere, a header
    of some sort, and hack the thing myself.

    > Thanks for all the help.

Homebuilt PlayStation Mice Systems