Win XP Pro Win 98SE dual boot

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 5:35:31 AM

I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
adding Win XP Pro.

My system is:
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2.8 Prescott
1GB Crucial Pro RAM
Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE

regards
Freddie
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 5:35:32 AM

You HAVE to install Win 98SE First, then XP for your plan to work. It will
not work the other way.

--
DaveW

"Freddie Clark" <fredclark@SPAM@loxinfo.co.th> wrote in message
>I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
> boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
> easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
> adding Win XP Pro.
>
> My system is:
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> 2.8 Prescott
> 1GB Crucial Pro RAM
> Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
> second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
> 2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
> Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
> Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>

> regards
> Freddie

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 5:35:32 AM

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:35:31 +0700, "Freddie Clark"
<fredclark@SPAM@loxinfo.co.th> wrote:

>I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
>boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
>easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
>adding Win XP Pro.
>
>My system is:
>Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>2.8 Prescott
>1GB Crucial Pro RAM
>Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
>second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
>2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
>Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
>Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>

>regards
>Freddie

You can also look into Boot Manager software which allows for multiple
operating systems fairly easily. I am familiar with BootIT NG. It
offers a free trial last I looked.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Several other companies make them also. Acronis has a version called
OS Selector. There are also free ones too I believe, but their names
escape me at the moment.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 8:04:59 AM

Freddie Clark wrote:

> I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
> boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
> easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
> adding Win XP Pro.
>
> My system is:
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> 2.8 Prescott
> 1GB Crucial Pro RAM
> Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
> second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
> 2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
> Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
> Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>

> regards
> Freddie

Win98se has to be installed first, but you have more problems.

Win98SE will allocate too large a hard drive cache with that much RAM so
you'll have to edit system.ini (in safe mode) and limit it in vcache to
less than 500 meg.

You'll need to find and download the 2.2 Ghz speed patch because win98SE
hangs with processors that fast, or faster.

Unless you partition first with something else, you'll need to download the
fdisk fix because it doesn't handle drives over 64 gig. Format displays
incorrectly but formats properly.

And Win98SE has the 137 gig hard drive limit so the dual 120 GB drives (240
combined) will not work unless the Via driver for Win98SE supports it (in
Win98).
September 3, 2004 7:08:31 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:35:31 +0700, Freddie Clark while doing time wrote:

> I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
> boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
> easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
> adding Win XP Pro.
>
> My system is:
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
> 2.8 Prescott
> 1GB Crucial Pro RAM
> Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
> second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
> 2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
> Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
> Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>

> regards
> Freddie

I tried to install Win98Se post WinXP it was a nightmare (F'ing Xp) and
didn't work. Then I did the Win98SE install first followed by WinXP
install which worked. But as it turned out it wasn't worth the effort of
installing and maintaining W98SE for a couple of W98 games.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 8:48:07 PM

"jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.09.03.15.10.17.261806@home.net...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:35:31 +0700, Freddie Clark while doing time wrote:
>
>> I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and
>> dual
>> boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
>> easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
>> adding Win XP Pro.
>>
>> My system is:
>> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>> 2.8 Prescott
>> 1GB Crucial Pro RAM
>> Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
>> second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
>> 2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
>> Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
>> Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>>

>> regards
>> Freddie

If you want to dual boot you have to install the OS's oldest first. 98 then
XP...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

> I tried to install Win98Se post WinXP it was a nightmare (F'ing Xp) and
> didn't work. Then I did the Win98SE install first followed by WinXP
> install which worked. But as it turned out it wasn't worth the effort of
> installing and maintaining W98SE for a couple of W98 games.

Yep, I haven't found anything that wouldn't run using XP's compatibility
mode. Right click the .exe and change the properties under compatibility.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 3, 2004 9:45:12 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:04:59 -0500, you wrote:

>Freddie Clark wrote:
>
>> I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
>> boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
>> easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
>> adding Win XP Pro.
>>
>> My system is:
>> Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>> 2.8 Prescott
>> 1GB Crucial Pro RAM
>> Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
>> second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
>> 2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
>> Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
>> Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>>

>> regards
>> Freddie
>>

>Win98se has to be installed first, but you have more problems.
>
>Win98SE will allocate too large a hard drive cache with that much RAM so
>you'll have to edit system.ini (in safe mode) and limit it in vcache to
>less than 500 meg.
>
>You'll need to find and download the 2.2 Ghz speed patch because win98SE
>hangs with processors that fast, or faster.

If you don't mind me asking, is that Win 98SE as well, or just 98? Do you
know where to get that patch? Thanks.

>Unless you partition first with something else, you'll need to download the
>fdisk fix because it doesn't handle drives over 64 gig. Format displays
>incorrectly but formats properly.
>
>And Win98SE has the 137 gig hard drive limit so the dual 120 GB drives (240
>combined) will not work unless the Via driver for Win98SE supports it (in
>Win98).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2004 2:01:45 AM

Will Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:04:59 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>Freddie Clark wrote:
>>

>>>I currently have Win XPpro on my machine. I would like to install and dual
>>>boot Win 98SE on the same machine. Anyone have any ideas how to do this
>>>easily??, all my googling seems to point to starting with Win 98SE and
>>>adding Win XP Pro.
>>>
>>>My system is:
>>>Asus P4P800 Deluxe
>>>2.8 Prescott
>>>1GB Crucial Pro RAM
>>>Boot drive is maxtor 80GB SATA
>>>second Primary SATA is maxtor 80GB
>>>2X maxtor 120GB as Primaries on the Via raid controller
>>>Asus DVD RW on Primary IDE
>>>Lite-on Combo DVD/CD/RW on second primary IDE
>>>

>>>regards
>>>Freddie
>>>

>>Win98se has to be installed first, but you have more problems.
>>
>>Win98SE will allocate too large a hard drive cache with that much RAM so
>>you'll have to edit system.ini (in safe mode) and limit it in vcache to
>>less than 500 meg.
>>
>>You'll need to find and download the 2.2 Ghz speed patch because win98SE
>>hangs with processors that fast, or faster.
>

> If you don't mind me asking, is that Win 98SE as well, or just 98? Do you
> know where to get that patch? Thanks.

Yes, Win98SE.

I have it but I didn't save where I got it so you'll need to do a search.

Hot Fix for Microsoft Knowledge Base article number q312108

312108USA8.EXE

>>Unless you partition first with something else, you'll need to download the
>>fdisk fix because it doesn't handle drives over 64 gig. Format displays
>>incorrectly but formats properly.
>>
>>And Win98SE has the 137 gig hard drive limit so the dual 120 GB drives (240
>>combined) will not work unless the Via driver for Win98SE supports it (in
>>Win98).

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2004 7:54:57 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:01:45 -0500, you wrote:

>Will Carter wrote:

>>>Win98se has to be installed first, but you have more problems.
>>>
>>>Win98SE will allocate too large a hard drive cache with that much RAM so
>>>you'll have to edit system.ini (in safe mode) and limit it in vcache to
>>>less than 500 meg.
>>>
>>>You'll need to find and download the 2.2 Ghz speed patch because win98SE
>>>hangs with processors that fast, or faster.
>>

>> If you don't mind me asking, is that Win 98SE as well, or just 98? Do you
>> know where to get that patch? Thanks.
>
>Yes, Win98SE.
>
>I have it but I didn't save where I got it so you'll need to do a search.
>
>Hot Fix for Microsoft Knowledge Base article number q312108
>
>312108USA8.EXE
>

>>>Unless you partition first with something else, you'll need to download the
>>>fdisk fix because it doesn't handle drives over 64 gig. Format displays
>>>incorrectly but formats properly.
>>>
>>>And Win98SE has the 137 gig hard drive limit so the dual 120 GB drives (240
>>>combined) will not work unless the Via driver for Win98SE supports it (in
>>>Win98).

Thanks!
September 4, 2004 10:39:43 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 16:48:07 +0000, Kill Bill while doing time wrote:

> "jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.09.03.15.10.17.261806@home.net...
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:35:31 +0700, Freddie Clark while doing time
>> wrote:

[snip]

>> I tried to install Win98Se post WinXP it was a nightmare (F'ing Xp) and
>> didn't work. Then I did the Win98SE install first followed by WinXP
>> install which worked. But as it turned out it wasn't worth the effort
>> of installing and maintaining W98SE for a couple of W98 games.
>

> Yep, I haven't found anything that wouldn't run using XP's compatibility
> mode. Right click the .exe and change the properties under
> compatibility.

My favorite air warfare game "Jane's ATF (advanced tactical fighters)
Gold" plays but keyboard only. Though joysticks and gamepads work in
other games, no serial or USB joysticks are recognized by the game (even
with compatibility) and there isn't a game patch for XP. Without a
joystick it's not fun and really, really hard to avoid SAMs, air-to-air
missiles and chase down enemy aircraft.
September 5, 2004 2:56:15 PM

> You can also look into Boot Manager software which allows for multiple
> operating systems fairly easily. I am familiar with BootIT NG. It
> offers a free trial last I looked.
>
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
>
> Several other companies make them also. Acronis has a version called
> OS Selector. There are also free ones too I believe, but their names
> escape me at the moment.

Some free alternatives are GAG (look on sourceforge) and Grub (comes
with many Linux distributions as does Lilo). You may also need a
partition manager better than Windows FDISK. A free version is Ranish's
partition manager.

Before you venture into this area it is best to arm yourself with a bit
of knowledge of disk partitioning. You need to understand terms like
partition tables, primary partition, active partition, extended
partition, MBR (Master Boot Record), partition boot sector, BIOS boot
sequence and maybe even hidden partitions. Try googling.

MS has implemented only a very primitive boot method. The PC BIOS has
enough logic to load the MBR (from a hard drive, or something else from
a floppy, CDROM,...). The MBR has enough logic to load the boot sector
of the current active partition. The boot sector has the logic to
understand the file system of its own partition and load a loader
program. The loader program has enough logic to load the OS kernel, or
optionally in some cases (XP, 2000, or NT) it has enough logic to ask if
you would like to load a more primitive system such as W98.

The W95, 98, and ME loaders have enough logic to ask you if you want to
load the local version of DOS instead of Windows.

If you can not easily follow the MS recommendation of loading the oldest
OS first, then your strategy should be to replace the MBR with a smarter
program. One that has enough logic to show all the choices, let you
select the OS of the moment, and then do what needs to be done to load
the selected OS. I would try GAG first, but the documentation is thin so
you need to do the recommended googling as well.

Sissies may want to create a boot floppy instead of taking the risk of
screwing up their MBR. Time spent figuring out how to do this is
probably better for you than playing games anyway -- I hope it takes you
a long time :-).

If you screw up the MBR and your hard drive will not boot at all, the
usual fix is to boot from a DOS floppy and enter the command:
FDISK /MBR
The above will replace GAG, Grub, Lilo or whatever junk is in the MBR
with the MS version. If your hard drive still has an active partition,
and the active partition still has a valid boot sector record, and...
your system will boot again.

Roger
!