I need a SATA drive SMART utility

I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.

Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
5 answers Last reply
More about sata drive smart utility

    In article <6005702b.0409041741.2f56c447@posting.google.com>,
    Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
    >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
    >works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
    >
    >Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.

    In what way did it fail ?

    The free version of Everest seems to be working very nicely for
    me on w2k and XP systems.

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    "Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
    > works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
    >
    > Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.

    Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
    free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
    getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
    RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
    start-up.

    I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!

    John.

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:25:31 GMT, "Bioboffin"
    <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote:

    >"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
    >> works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
    >
    >Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
    >free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
    >getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
    >RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
    >start-up.
    >
    >I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!
    >
    >John.

    Don't you have that utility on your Maxblast CD?

    adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in message news:<chdre4$1u0$1@panix2.panix.com>...
    > In article <6005702b.0409041741.2f56c447@posting.google.com>,
    > Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
    > >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
    > >works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
    > >
    > >Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
    >

    > In what way did it fail ?

    if the "it" is the HD, it didn't, I just don't want to wait till it
    does. If "it" is the SMART utitlies I tried, they don't work with
    SATA, or don't detect the two harddrives, or give wildly erroneous
    results (capacity 900gb!), or say indicators (most of them, like 9 out
    of 10 or more) are not supported.

    > The free version of Everest seems to be working very nicely for
    > me on w2k and XP systems.
    >
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    I tried it, it didn't, I need a resident system tray one that'll
    detect temperature changes and warn me of errors (that failure
    prediction thing) .

    "Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message news:<%5H_c.104$6m1.21@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>...
    > "Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
    > > works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
    >
    > Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
    > free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
    > getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
    > RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
    > start-up.

    No. Two maxtor SATA harddrives. Not Raid.

    > I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!
    >
    > John.

    Hmmmm. Worrying.

Homebuilt Hardware SATA Systems