I need a SATA drive SMART utility

I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.

Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.

In article <6005702b.0409041741.2f56c447@posting.google.com>,
Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
>I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
>works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
>
>Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.

In what way did it fail ?

The free version of Everest seems to be working very nicely for
me on w2k and XP systems.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
>I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
> works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
>
> Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.

Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
start-up.

I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!

John.

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:25:31 GMT, "Bioboffin"
<Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote:

>"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
>> works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
>>
>> Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
>
>Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
>free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
>getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
>RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
>start-up.
>
>I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!
>
>John.

Don't you have that utility on your Maxblast CD?

adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote in message news:<chdre4$1u0$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> In article <6005702b.0409041741.2f56c447@posting.google.com>,
> Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
> >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
> >works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
> >
> >Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
>

> In what way did it fail ?

if the "it" is the HD, it didn't, I just don't want to wait till it
does. If "it" is the SMART utitlies I tried, they don't work with
SATA, or don't detect the two harddrives, or give wildly erroneous
results (capacity 900gb!), or say indicators (most of them, like 9 out
of 10 or more) are not supported.

> The free version of Everest seems to be working very nicely for
> me on w2k and XP systems.
>
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

I tried it, it didn't, I need a resident system tray one that'll
detect temperature changes and warn me of errors (that failure
prediction thing) .

"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message news:<%5H_c.104$6m1.21@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>...
> "Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I tested a few SMART utilites and I haven't been able to find one that
> > works correctly with my maxtor SATA drives.
> >
> > Does anyone know of one? preferably free but not necessarily.
>
> Are you trying to use it with a RAID array? I was unable to use
> free-standing SMART programs with my RAID array, but last week, I started
> getting SMART errors from the RAID controller itself - (it is ICHR Intel
> RAID software on a Gigabyte 8KNXP board) - it checks SMART as part of the
> start-up.

No. Two maxtor SATA harddrives. Not Raid.

> I now have ONE Maxtor drive (the other one is being RMA'd - 7 months old)!
>
> John.

Hmmmm. Worrying.