Booting clean as possible

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Is there some way to get my PC to boot with as much free RAM as possible? I only have the essentials selected in msconfig's startup tab and don't seem to be getting the full force of my RAM. I should be getting 3.25 because I have 6 installed but only on 32 bit (will be upgrading soon). Anyway with 6 GB of RAM installed (though less is obviously accessible), a GeForce GTX 470, and no other memory hogging hardware, Adobe Premiere keeps telling me when I run it that my system is running low on memory.

If there was a way to boot cleaner with an alternate boot that doesn't affect my main setup, that would be great.

Thanks all!

Start Task Manager, see what RAM available is, RAM in use is, pagefile in use. You should not need to guess what is happening, the performance monitor will tell all.

Also, you can't "upgrade" to 64 bit, you'd need to do a clan setup, re-install your applications, etc... Not sure if that's what you meant or not.

dennylutz80

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
BTW, i wouldn't recommend the x64 version due to app compatibility . If you have the budget go with a SSD drive. It will change your lift : )

--------------------------------------------------------------

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for the help.

fowang: I'll try that. But my scratch disk is a pretty big hard drive. But, I'll try anyway.

hang-the-9: That's exactly what I meant. Yeah, I know I'll have to reinstall stuff. It's fine. If it has to be done, it has to be done. I have to be able to edit.

dennylutz80: I thought 64 bit compatibility wasn't really an issue anymore? Am I wrong? What are the major problems people encounter running a 64 bit version of Windows 7? I don't think I'd be able to afford a SSD. I'd need 100 to 200 GB.

By the way, here's a useful little summary from PC World that I found informative.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/181165/windows_7_64bit_users_living_in_a_32bit_world.html