I've been working on my brother's Acer laptop's AC97
problem(XP)...after a couple of days,i finally managed to find the
correct driver for it (was on the official Acer website DOH!!) but
there is still no sound.Everything looks correct and it even shows
that the AC97 multimedia audio controller is working fine.Even when i
try playing some music it shows that it's playing but there is no
sound.I've checked the volume properties and stuff and there is
nothing on mute. One funny thing though,when i go to the control
panel and go to the sounds and audio devices icon,it shows that the
stuff under the volume tab is all greyed out and can't be
adjusted.It's set on lowest and i can't find a way to change
it.Anyone know how i can remedy this?

==============

jad

yeah I had one hell of a time getting my sons Compaq 1100e to get
sound. Running windows?
Safe mode and remove all entries under sound devices and any 'other
devices' entries.
reboot.... If the driver is an .EXE then cancel ALL hardware wizards
that come up. If it is just the driver files, then point the wizard to
the folder or disk when asked to supply path for PCI audio device or
something similar. Reboot.

I would constantly get the mixer control and the 'seems to be playing'
when looking at any player, But like you 'no windows sounds'
playback. There was a windows media dll that was changed or corrupt,
and by re installing all sound devices the sound was returned.

(note)You can't see these entries in device manager when in 'normal'
boot, in a windows 9x,Me machine(probably the same in NT).

"r3b0rN" <sleeping_dragon87@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:413b485d$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...
> I've been working on my brother's Acer laptop's AC97
> problem(XP)...after a couple of days,i finally managed to find the
> correct driver for it (was on the official Acer website DOH!!) but
> there is still no sound.Everything looks correct and it even shows
> that the AC97 multimedia audio controller is working fine.Even when
> try playing some music it shows that it's playing but there is no
> sound.I've checked the volume properties and stuff and there is
> nothing on mute. One funny thing though,when i go to the control
> panel and go to the sounds and audio devices icon,it shows that the
> stuff under the volume tab is all greyed out and can't be
> adjusted.It's set on lowest and i can't find a way to change
> it.Anyone know how i can remedy this?

> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to
hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.