Fixing my i950 After Hurricane

Possibly interesting aside: I packed my computers away in my car trunk
for Hurricane Frances. So after it was all over, I reinstalled the
computer I use for pictures, connecting everything exactly the same way.
My HP 5100 printer was fine, but the Canon wouldn't turn on, no matter
what I did. I checked the plug socket, the cord, looked for fuses or
breakers - nothing.

So before I was about to give up and take it back for a replacement, I
decided to try the Canon web site. They had a troubleshooting tab
wherein I found the advice to unplug it for 10 minutes, re-plug, and try
again. It worked. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever, so I thought I
would share it.

Gary Eickmeier

bill

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

>So before I was about to give up and take it back for a replacement, I
>decided to try the Canon web site. They had a troubleshooting tab
>wherein I found the advice to unplug it for 10 minutes, re-plug, and try
>again. It worked. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever, so I thought I
>would share it.

In a way it does make some sense...the printer is always "on", even when
you turn it off - it uses a tiny bit of power to keep the processor
working. When you connect the printer cable to the computer, and if the
computer was on, the printer probably didn't communicate properly and
needed to be re-connected or reset. Unplugging it resets the printer.

I had this happen once when the power failed. My computer, monitor, and
modem are all on a UPS, but the printer, scanner, speakers are not. So
when the power came back up a couple of minutes later, I couldn't print.
I merely restarted the computer and everything was fine.

Good info to share though. :)

Bill wrote:

> In a way it does make some sense...the printer is always "on", even when
> you turn it off - it uses a tiny bit of power to keep the processor
> working. When you connect the printer cable to the computer, and if the
> computer was on, the printer probably didn't communicate properly and
> needed to be re-connected or reset. Unplugging it resets the printer.
>
> I had this happen once when the power failed. My computer, monitor, and
> modem are all on a UPS, but the printer, scanner, speakers are not. So
> when the power came back up a couple of minutes later, I couldn't print.
> I merely restarted the computer and everything was fine.
>
> Good info to share though. :)

You couldn't print - but could you at least turn your printer ON? I took
my printer out and plugged it into another wall socket and pressed the
ON button, and nothing happened. Could not turn it on.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> In a way it does make some sense...the printer is always "on", even when
>> you turn it off - it uses a tiny bit of power to keep the processor
>> working. When you connect the printer cable to the computer, and if the
>> computer was on, the printer probably didn't communicate properly and
>> needed to be re-connected or reset. Unplugging it resets the printer.
>>
>> I had this happen once when the power failed. My computer, monitor, and
>> modem are all on a UPS, but the printer, scanner, speakers are not. So
>> when the power came back up a couple of minutes later, I couldn't print.
>> I merely restarted the computer and everything was fine.
>>
>> Good info to share though. :)
>

> You couldn't print - but could you at least turn your printer ON? I took
> my printer out and plugged it into another wall socket and pressed the
> ON button, and nothing happened. Could not turn it on.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

The "on" button is not the power switch (there isn't any). The 10
minutes is to let the capacitors discharege completely. GLAD it
worked!

"Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote in message
> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>>

>> Bill wrote:
>>
>>> In a way it does make some sense...the printer is always "on", even when
>>> you turn it off - it uses a tiny bit of power to keep the processor
>>> working. When you connect the printer cable to the computer, and if the
>>> computer was on, the printer probably didn't communicate properly and
>>> needed to be re-connected or reset. Unplugging it resets the printer.
>>>
>>> I had this happen once when the power failed. My computer, monitor, and
>>> modem are all on a UPS, but the printer, scanner, speakers are not. So
>>> when the power came back up a couple of minutes later, I couldn't print.
>>> I merely restarted the computer and everything was fine.
>>>
>>> Good info to share though. :)
>>

>> You couldn't print - but could you at least turn your printer ON? I took
>> my printer out and plugged it into another wall socket and pressed the ON
>> button, and nothing happened. Could not turn it on.
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier
>>

> The "on" button is not the power switch (there isn't any). The 10 minutes
> is to let the capacitors discharege completely. GLAD it
> worked!

There is in fact a power button on this model