Helllllpppp please

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 3, 2005 1:09:01 AM

setup wrt54gs using cd as instructed. went thru all the screens. setup
wpa-psk aes. It was an option si I assume I can. anyway, i cannot access the
router? The user name is blank for defaults and pw is admin of course. I
changed the pw during setup with the cd. But i do not recall a user name? I
tried blank and my password, but no good? Should I start all over? I am sure
the pw is correct, i made it simple to start with.
Thanks
Frank

More about : helllllpppp

July 3, 2005 1:12:28 AM

Sorry, I got it now, but still do not know about a user name. I am now
checking over the router settings with IE. Hope I find a spot for user
name?
Frank L the July Dummy

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> setup wrt54gs using cd as instructed. went thru all the screens. setup
> wpa-psk aes. It was an option si I assume I can. anyway, i cannot access
> the router? The user name is blank for defaults and pw is admin of course.
> I changed the pw during setup with the cd. But i do not recall a user
> name? I tried blank and my password, but no good? Should I start all over?
> I am sure the pw is correct, i made it simple to start with.
> Thanks
> Frank

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:12:29 AM

Just wondering...did you use any strange characters in the password
"@#*%(..."?

I've found that it will accept them, but not let you put the password back
in again. If so, you'll need to do a hard reset, and start over.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o xw9Kx2fFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, I got it now, but still do not know about a user name. I am now
> checking over the router settings with IE. Hope I find a spot for user
> name?
> Frank L the July Dummy
>
> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> setup wrt54gs using cd as instructed. went thru all the screens. setup
>> wpa-psk aes. It was an option si I assume I can. anyway, i cannot access
>> the router? The user name is blank for defaults and pw is admin of
>> course. I changed the pw during setup with the cd. But i do not recall a
>> user name? I tried blank and my password, but no good? Should I start all
>> over? I am sure the pw is correct, i made it simple to start with.
>> Thanks
>> Frank

Related resources
July 3, 2005 5:18:24 AM

Thanks Matt, I did and I guess that was it. I reset it and started all over
again. Things are fine now. Tomorrow I will introduce my dell 8100 laptop
(wpc54gs card) to my network. IO have much to learn about the security and
such, But I will, and hopefully you guys will be kind enough to help when I
need it. I am happy that I can use wpa with aes. Nice if it was wpa2,
but..........
Thanks again,
Frank L

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> Just wondering...did you use any strange characters in the password
> "@#*%(..."?
>
> I've found that it will accept them, but not let you put the password back
> in again. If so, you'll need to do a hard reset, and start over.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:o xw9Kx2fFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Sorry, I got it now, but still do not know about a user name. I am now
>> checking over the router settings with IE. Hope I find a spot for user
>> name?
>> Frank L the July Dummy
>>
>> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> setup wrt54gs using cd as instructed. went thru all the screens. setup
>>> wpa-psk aes. It was an option si I assume I can. anyway, i cannot access
>>> the router? The user name is blank for defaults and pw is admin of
>>> course. I changed the pw during setup with the cd. But i do not recall a
>>> user name? I tried blank and my password, but no good? Should I start
>>> all over? I am sure the pw is correct, i made it simple to start with.
>>> Thanks
>>> Frank

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:46:34 PM

Frank schrieb:
> Thanks Matt, I did and I guess that was it. I reset it and started all over
> again. Things are fine now. Tomorrow I will introduce my dell 8100 laptop
> (wpc54gs card) to my network. IO have much to learn about the security and
> such, But I will, and hopefully you guys will be kind enough to help when I
> need it. I am happy that I can use wpa with aes. Nice if it was wpa2,
> but..........
> Thanks again,
> Frank L

Before implementing AES make sure that all your clients support it as well.

If You're using win xp with all current patches and SP's you're lucky as
win xp can do wpa(2) with aes in software...

--
Martin Bodenstedt

(www.die-bodenstedts.de / www.maboko.de)
July 3, 2005 5:46:35 PM

There are only 2 computers involved. My desktop, which is all setup and
hardwired to router. Today I will add the laptop. According to linksys and
wifialliance.com my laptop with Linlsys wpc54gs card will also be capable of
this. Both PC's involved are xp pro sp2 w/ALL patches. But, wpa2, was not an
option on the routers config page? So that's why I went with wpa psk aes,
that was an available option.
Thanks
Frank L

"Martin Bodenstedt" <martin.bodenstedt@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:D a8j6p$5li$2@online.de...
> Frank schrieb:
>> Thanks Matt, I did and I guess that was it. I reset it and started all
>> over again. Things are fine now. Tomorrow I will introduce my dell 8100
>> laptop (wpc54gs card) to my network. IO have much to learn about the
>> security and such, But I will, and hopefully you guys will be kind enough
>> to help when I need it. I am happy that I can use wpa with aes. Nice if
>> it was wpa2, but..........
>> Thanks again,
>> Frank L
>
> Before implementing AES make sure that all your clients support it as
> well.
>
> If You're using win xp with all current patches and SP's you're lucky as
> win xp can do wpa(2) with aes in software...
>

> --
> Martin Bodenstedt
>
> (www.die-bodenstedts.de / www.maboko.de)
July 3, 2005 6:37:25 PM