Cannot Disable SSID on BEFW11S4 Ver 4 with WPA Pre-Share KEY

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Problem: When I disable Broadcast SSID my laptop cannot find the
network. As long as

broadcast SSID is enabled it works OK.

Router COnfig: Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 4 Firmware 1.52.02 (most
currennt)
Wireless: Enabled

BASIC WIRELES SETUP TAB
SSID: I created a unique ID
Wireless Channel: 11
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Disabled

WIRELESS SECURITY TAB
Wireless Security: Enabled
Security Mode: WPA Pre-Shared Key
Group Key Renewal: 3600

WIRELESS NETWORK ACCESS TAD
Wireless Network Access: Allow all (I plan to enable MAC filtering once
I get this to work)

ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS TAB
Basic rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps
Control TX Rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps
Preamble Type: Long preamble
Authentication: Auto )Default)
Antenna Selection: Diversity (Default)
Beacon INterval: 50
DTIM INterval: 1
Fragmentation Interval: 2346
RTS THreshold: 2432

Laptop
Windows XP SP2

Linksys WPC11 Version 4 NIC
Driver Version : 5.158.1001.2003

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

That is one of the reasons you set up profiles and enter the SSID there.
Then the laptop will know the SSID even if it isn't being broadcast.

Clark

"Bryan" <bcaston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Problem: When I disable Broadcast SSID my laptop cannot find the
> network. As long as
>
> broadcast SSID is enabled it works OK.
>
> Router COnfig: Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 4 Firmware 1.52.02 (most
> currennt)
> Wireless: Enabled
>
> BASIC WIRELES SETUP TAB
> SSID: I created a unique ID
> Wireless Channel: 11
> Wireless SSID Broadcast: Disabled
>
> WIRELESS SECURITY TAB
> Wireless Security: Enabled
> Security Mode: WPA Pre-Shared Key
> Group Key Renewal: 3600
>
> WIRELESS NETWORK ACCESS TAD
> Wireless Network Access: Allow all (I plan to enable MAC filtering once
> I get this to work)
>
> ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS TAB
> Basic rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps
> Control TX Rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps
> Preamble Type: Long preamble
> Authentication: Auto )Default)
> Antenna Selection: Diversity (Default)
> Beacon INterval: 50
> DTIM INterval: 1
> Fragmentation Interval: 2346
> RTS THreshold: 2432
>

> Laptop
> Windows XP SP2
>
> Linksys WPC11 Version 4 NIC
> Driver Version : 5.158.1001.2003

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

not being able to disable ssid broadcast is a good thing. it stops you from
coming back here and asking why you keep dropping your connection. at least
with winxp if you disable ssid broadcast the wzc setup will drop your access
point if it hears another one broadcasting. and it doesn't give you any
better security.

>I have a 28 character passphrase

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Bryan schrieb:
> Problem: When I disable Broadcast SSID my laptop cannot find the
> network. As long as broadcast SSID is enabled it works OK.

Why should you want to disable broadcasts?

As You have already found out disabling SSID beaconing is a digression
from the standard with all kinds of side effects.

It is by no means a security feature as the SSID is included in every
frame transmitted between AP and client.

You should opt instead for securing your network via WPA (preferably
version 2)...

Btw, you might get your network connection up by editing your network
properties by hand...

--
Martin Bodenstedt

(www.die-bodenstedts.de / www.maboko.de)

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

For every extra character you type into your PSK (beyond 7 characters as a
guide) you increase the passphrase complexity by far more than the benefits
of MAC filtering or SSID hiding will ever give.

Get a longer more complex passphrase.

"Bryan" <bcaston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Problem: When I disable Broadcast SSID my laptop cannot find the
> network. As long as
>
> broadcast SSID is enabled it works OK.
>
> Router COnfig: Linksys BEFW11S4 Version 4 Firmware 1.52.02 (most
> currennt)
> Wireless: Enabled
>
> BASIC WIRELES SETUP TAB
> SSID: I created a unique ID
> Wireless Channel: 11
> Wireless SSID Broadcast: Disabled
>
> WIRELESS SECURITY TAB
> Wireless Security: Enabled
> Security Mode: WPA Pre-Shared Key
> Group Key Renewal: 3600
>
> WIRELESS NETWORK ACCESS TAD
> Wireless Network Access: Allow all (I plan to enable MAC filtering once
> I get this to work)
>
> ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS TAB
> Basic rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps
> Control TX Rate: 1-2-4-11 Mbps