Recommended motherboard for low-noise P4 system?

I need some advice: I want to build a low-noise P4 system, and I
don't have any idea of which motherboard to get.
Is there any site that has a list of recommended motherboards?
The features I need are:

- AGP slot
- IDE interface only, no SCSI or SATA
- I need to be able to program the voltage of fans. In another motherboard
(no longer made) I have, I can program e.g. 6V until the CPU is at 50C,
then 10V. This both for chassis fan, and for CPU fan.
- Don't care about sound.
- FSB? No idea, anything at least 400 MHz is fine.
- USB 2.0
- At least one serial port
- 10/100 Ethernet, better if it could do also 1GB.
- Mainstream, easy available, super-reliable.

I seem to be looking for such a generic thing, aside from the fan voltage
requirement, that I am overwhelmed, and I don't know where to start looking.
The fan regulation enables me to have a very quiet PC until it heats
up due to heavy load.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Peter

jk

This website might help.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/

You also might want to consider building an Athlon 64 system rather than a P4
one.

"Peter Lampione" <plampione@mm.st> wrote in message
> I need some advice: I want to build a low-noise P4 system, and I
> don't have any idea of which motherboard to get.
> Is there any site that has a list of recommended motherboards?
> The features I need are:
>
> - AGP slot
> - IDE interface only, no SCSI or SATA
> - I need to be able to program the voltage of fans. In another
motherboard
> (no longer made) I have, I can program e.g. 6V until the CPU is at 50C,
> then 10V. This both for chassis fan, and for CPU fan.
> - Don't care about sound.
> - FSB? No idea, anything at least 400 MHz is fine.
> - USB 2.0
> - At least one serial port
> - 10/100 Ethernet, better if it could do also 1GB.
> - Mainstream, easy available, super-reliable.

AOpen Silenttek. It does exactly what you want to do. You can program
individual fans for certain speeds at certain temperatures tied to built-in
hardware monitoring. I haven't tried that specific feature myself, but the
description is EXACTLY what you are looking for. AOpen is Mainstream, easy
available, super-reliable. In fact, I personally believe AOpen is probably
the best brand, as far as quality goes. (yes, even above Asus, which is
decent, but probably the most over-hyped brand in history)

You won't find a decent motherboard without SATA, but you don't have to use
that, and it won't cost you anything extra. (all the motherboards still
have the standard dual IDE connectors, all the decent ones also have SATA)

I think the following is exactly what you need. Note it also has PASSIVE
cooling for the Northbridge, which will help with the noise issue. -Dave

http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/AX4SPE-N.htm
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA19332