Canon without CD/DVD printing: US market only

Hi all,

do you know why Canon sells crippled US models, while many European
models do offer CD printing?

I doubt that CD printing is illegal in the US, since Epson and some
smaller companies do provide it.

But there's more or less similiar models for US/Europe which differ:

Europe US

i865 i860
i905D i900D
i965 i960
i995D i990D
i9950 i9900
iP3000 =
iP4000 =
iP4000R =
iP5000 =
iP6000D =

Most of the newer Pixmas (apart of the smallest iP1500/iP2000) offer DVD
printing in Europe by default. They come bundled with the software
CD-LabelPrint. Identical US models come without!?

Is it just marketing? Is it some US licensing?

Regards
Martin
2 answers Last reply
More about canon printing market only

    Martin Trautmann wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > do you know why Canon sells crippled US models, while many European
    > models do offer CD printing?
    >
    > I doubt that CD printing is illegal in the US, since Epson and some
    > smaller companies do provide it.

    CD printing isn't illegal in the US/Canada. It would appear to me that
    the method Canon uses elsewhere infringes on certain North American
    patents held by I don't know who. Epson obviously uses a different
    system. Maybe it's Epson's they're infringing on... ;-)

    -Taliesyn

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > Martin Trautmann wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> do you know why Canon sells crippled US models, while many European
    >> models do offer CD printing?
    >>
    >> I doubt that CD printing is illegal in the US, since Epson and some
    >> smaller companies do provide it.
    >>

    > CD printing isn't illegal in the US/Canada. It would appear to me that
    > the method Canon uses elsewhere infringes on certain North American
    > patents held by I don't know who. Epson obviously uses a different
    > system. Maybe it's Epson's they're infringing on... ;-)
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    DOH!

    --
    Ben Thomas - happily printing on CDs and DVDs with my i9950.

Printers Canon CD-Rom Peripherals