Wireless adapter recognized as network controller ...

Tags:
  • Network Controller
  • Wireless Adapter
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 3, 2005 3:13:01 AM

I'm running WinXP, SP2, on an IBM ThinkPad T30 (model 2366X4X), and have an
internal PCI wireless adapter which worked well when I received my
refurbished notebook. After reinstalling the OS from a CD (and not from the
IBM XP recovery partition), Windows seems to recognize the wireless adapter
as a network controller in the device manager, and I am unable to install
drivers for the device as a result (operation fails because Windows "can't
find necessary software"). One problem is I can't find documentation stating
whether I have the IBM or Cisco adapter, but I've tried installing drivers
for both with no luck (and merely looking at the device gives no apparent
clue to its manufacturer). I've uninstalled the device in device manager and
have rebooted, but the New Hardware utility still recognizes the adapter as a
network controller. Can anyone forward a clue here? Regards,

-- Mark D.

More about : wireless adapter recognized network controller

July 3, 2005 5:20:05 PM

You will have to determine which one to use.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Clark

"Mark D." <Mark D.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running WinXP, SP2, on an IBM ThinkPad T30 (model 2366X4X), and have
> an
> internal PCI wireless adapter which worked well when I received my
> refurbished notebook. After reinstalling the OS from a CD (and not from
> the
> IBM XP recovery partition), Windows seems to recognize the wireless
> adapter
> as a network controller in the device manager, and I am unable to install
> drivers for the device as a result (operation fails because Windows "can't
> find necessary software"). One problem is I can't find documentation
> stating
> whether I have the IBM or Cisco adapter, but I've tried installing drivers
> for both with no luck (and merely looking at the device gives no apparent
> clue to its manufacturer). I've uninstalled the device in device manager
> and
> have rebooted, but the New Hardware utility still recognizes the adapter
> as a
> network controller. Can anyone forward a clue here? Regards,
>
> -- Mark D.
July 4, 2005 12:03:36 AM

I should have also added you may need to remove the device in Device Manager
and then reinstall.

Clark
!