Two 7,200 RPM Hard Drives in a Compaq Presario 5000?

I've hooked up another drive in the past to transfer binaries for safe
keeping. If both drives were installed and kept running on a full time
basis, will problems with overheating occur?
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drives compaq presario 5000

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:39:25 -1000, Dregon <Dregon@.> whipped out
    "The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:

    >I've hooked up another drive in the past to transfer binaries for safe
    >keeping. If both drives were installed and kept running on a full time
    >basis, will problems with overheating occur?

    With adequate cooling, I don't see why. I have two 7,200 rpm drives
    right now in my box (which I cobbled together from used parts and an
    old Compaq Deskpro case). And my cooling setup isn't even all that
    great (just basically the old fan in the Deskpro case, and I've taped
    up the unused slots in back). Just make sure they have enough room
    between them for air circulation; this is not a problem for me, since
    I don't have the original Deskpro case hardware, so one of my drives
    is just sitting in one of the internal bays (they need these stupid
    Compaq "brackets" to be secure to the chassis) propped up on an old
    paperback book with about an inch and a half of space surrounding it
    (except for the bottom of the drive, of course).

    John Mann wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:39:25 -1000, Dregon <Dregon@.> whipped out
    >"The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:
    >

    >>I've hooked up another drive in the past to transfer binaries for safe
    >>keeping. If both drives were installed and kept running on a full time
    >>basis, will problems with overheating occur?
    >
    >With adequate cooling, I don't see why. I have two 7,200 rpm drives
    >right now in my box (which I cobbled together from used parts and an
    >old Compaq Deskpro case). And my cooling setup isn't even all that
    >great (just basically the old fan in the Deskpro case, and I've taped
    >up the unused slots in back). Just make sure they have enough room
    >between them for air circulation; this is not a problem for me, since
    >I don't have the original Deskpro case hardware, so one of my drives
    >is just sitting in one of the internal bays (they need these stupid
    >Compaq "brackets" to be secure to the chassis) propped up on an old
    >paperback book with about an inch and a half of space surrounding it
    >(except for the bottom of the drive, of course).

    Don't have the luxury of an open internal bay or any additional space
    cause I have two burners in those slots. The only way to utilize
    another drive is mounting it in a bracket right next to the existing.
    After transferring data from one drive to the other, I noticed just how
    much heat can be produced by a 7,200 RPM hard drive. So I guess two
    drives using the standard mounting procedure is definitely out of the
    question because they are practically a pair of Siamese Twins.

    Thanks for the reply -

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:23:48 -1000, Dregon <Dregon@.> whipped out
    "The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:

    >Don't have the luxury of an open internal bay or any additional space
    >cause I have two burners in those slots. The only way to utilize
    >another drive is mounting it in a bracket right next to the existing.
    >After transferring data from one drive to the other, I noticed just how
    >much heat can be produced by a 7,200 RPM hard drive. So I guess two
    >drives using the standard mounting procedure is definitely out of the
    >question because they are practically a pair of Siamese Twins.

    Didn't imply it would be "out of the question"; it just poses more
    problems. And I wouldn't reccommend just dropping a hard drive into
    an open large bay anyway; I only do that because I don't have a choice
    (proprietary case, don't have the stupid Compaq brackets for
    mounting). As long as I have to do that for now, it's just making the
    best out of a bad bargain (more cooling space around the drive).

    Can you not mount a fan to simply draw air between the drives? I've
    never had to do this, so I don't have a step-by-step ready. I do
    believe there are fans you can mount, either internally or externally,
    to do just that; namely, extra cooling specifically for hard drives.

    Or simply add more fans to the case (which will increase noise, of
    course), and check your internal air circulation. All that is needed
    is for, somehow, air to be drawn past the drives.

    Also; if fans totally untenable; since you seem to be using the second
    drive for storage ("transferring binaries to"); what about
    sidestepping the whole box cooling issue and simply getting an
    external mount for the second drive? USB enclosures are relatively
    inexpensive, though you'll be dealing with another power supply to
    plug into the wall.

    I don't know what kind of case and chassis you have, so I can't really
    think of anything else. From your context, I would assume it's small,
    with only 2 cdrom bays and 2 hard drive bays.

    I haven't gone on to suggest liquid-based cooling systems because I
    don't know what level of case-modding you are familar with. I haven't
    used liquid-based cooling systems myself yet, but from what I read
    about them, when I finally am able to build a decent "big dick" box
    again, I probably will be using them and eschewing the whole fan
    paradigm.

    "I hate those people who like to tell you,
    Money is the root of all that kills;
    They have never been poor,
    They have never had the "joy" of a welfare Christmas."

    -- Everclear, "I Will Buy You A New Life"

    In article <gal0k013p9gqdgdss2cbbmpoht6cv6r5jr@4ax.com>, Dregon says...

    >John Mann wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:39:25 -1000, Dregon <Dregon@.> whipped out
    >>"The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:
    >>

    >>>I've hooked up another drive in the past to transfer binaries for safe
    >>>keeping. If both drives were installed and kept running on a full time
    >>>basis, will problems with overheating occur?
    >>
    >>With adequate cooling, I don't see why. I have two 7,200 rpm drives
    >>right now in my box (which I cobbled together from used parts and an
    >>old Compaq Deskpro case). And my cooling setup isn't even all that
    >>great (just basically the old fan in the Deskpro case, and I've taped
    >>up the unused slots in back). Just make sure they have enough room
    >>between them for air circulation; this is not a problem for me, since
    >>I don't have the original Deskpro case hardware, so one of my drives
    >>is just sitting in one of the internal bays (they need these stupid
    >>Compaq "brackets" to be secure to the chassis) propped up on an old
    >>paperback book with about an inch and a half of space surrounding it
    >>(except for the bottom of the drive, of course).
    >
    >Don't have the luxury of an open internal bay or any additional space
    >cause I have two burners in those slots. The only way to utilize
    >another drive is mounting it in a bracket right next to the existing.
    >After transferring data from one drive to the other, I noticed just how
    >much heat can be produced by a 7,200 RPM hard drive. So I guess two
    >drives using the standard mounting procedure is definitely out of the
    >question because they are practically a pair of Siamese Twins.
    >
    >Thanks for the reply -

    I had a Compaq 7ap195 that had the same bracket for the second hard drive.
    Well, actually I had to buy it from Compaq. After two months of running a
    7200rpm 80g Maxtor, it fried. Now it could have failed for any number of
    reasons but I'm betting it was heat. This is a terrible design for a secondary
    drive.

    When Maxtor replaced the drive, which was under warranty, I moved the system
    into a new Chieftec case with 4 hard drive slots, which was on sale at Newegg
    for 55 bucks. It now has a proper case and it no longer looks like a Compaq.
    There are just too many well designed cheap cases out there to use a case that
    was never designed for today's hardware.

    Buy this case and, as a bonus, you will also be upgrading your Compaq power
    supply. All for $35.00.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-154-017&DEPA=1

    Ed

    In article <chra0r0650@drn.newsguy.com>, Ed_ says...

    >In article <gal0k013p9gqdgdss2cbbmpoht6cv6r5jr@4ax.com>, Dregon says...
    >>
    >>John Mann wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:39:25 -1000, Dregon <Dregon@.> whipped out
    >>>"The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:

    >>>With adequate cooling, I don't see why. I have two 7,200 rpm drives
    >>>right now in my box (which I cobbled together from used parts and an
    >>>old Compaq Deskpro case). And my cooling setup isn't even all that
    >>>great (just basically the old fan in the Deskpro case, and I've taped
    >>>up the unused slots in back). Just make sure they have enough room
    >>>between them for air circulation; this is not a problem for me, since
    >>>I don't have the original Deskpro case hardware, so one of my drives
    >>>is just sitting in one of the internal bays (they need these stupid
    >>>Compaq "brackets" to be secure to the chassis) propped up on an old
    >>>paperback book with about an inch and a half of space surrounding it
    >>>(except for the bottom of the drive, of course).
    >>
    >>Don't have the luxury of an open internal bay or any additional space
    >>cause I have two burners in those slots. The only way to utilize
    >>another drive is mounting it in a bracket right next to the existing.
    >>After transferring data from one drive to the other, I noticed just how
    >>much heat can be produced by a 7,200 RPM hard drive. So I guess two
    >>drives using the standard mounting procedure is definitely out of the
    >>question because they are practically a pair of Siamese Twins.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the reply -
    >
    >I had a Compaq 7ap195 that had the same bracket for the second hard drive.
    >Well, actually I had to buy it from Compaq. After two months of running a
    >7200rpm 80g Maxtor, it fried. Now it could have failed for any number of
    >reasons but I'm betting it was heat. This is a terrible design for a secondary
    >drive.
    >
    >When Maxtor replaced the drive, which was under warranty, I moved the system
    >into a new Chieftec case with 4 hard drive slots, which was on sale at Newegg
    >for 55 bucks. It now has a proper case and it no longer looks like a Compaq.
    >There are just too many well designed cheap cases out there to use a case that
    >was never designed for today's hardware.
    >
    >Buy this case and, as a bonus, you will also be upgrading your Compaq power
    >supply. All for $35.00.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-154-017&DEPA=1
    >
    >Ed

    BTW, here is a link to the photo album that includes pics of the system in it's
    original case and in the new Chieftec after I moved it. When the system finally
    dies I can put wheels on the case and use it for a Humbvee...:)

    http://groups.msn.com/DesperadosHome/computerpics.msnw?Page=1

    Ed

    Silly me; I just noticed the subject header. Yes; this would be a
    little easier to solve in a regular non-OEM case.

    The truth is out there; it will all come out well in the end, I think.

    "Black shirted boys in the badlands
    play machine-gun rodeo;
    the downtown mission's packed too tight,
    with folks that got nowhere to go."

    --- David Baerwald, "River's Gonna Rise", 1986

    Dregon <Dregon@.> wrote in message news:<gal0k013p9gqdgdss2cbbmpoht6cv6r5jr@4ax.com>...

    > Don't have the luxury of an open internal bay or any
    > additional space cause I have two burners in those slots.
    > The only way to utilize another drive is mounting it in
    > a bracket right next to the existing. After transferring
    > data from one drive to the other, I noticed just how much
    > heat can be produced by a 7,200 RPM hard drive. So I guess
    > two drives using the standard mounting procedure is
    > definitely out of the question because they are practically
    > a pair of Siamese Twins.

    How about mounting one drive right in front of that vertical drive at
    the bottom? Drill some holes in its drive cage and use brass mobo
    standoffs to position it away from the cage for better air flow. A
    drive could also be hanged vertically from the bottom 5.25" drive bay
    or directly on top of the bottom of the case. I now mount all HDs
    vertically because I've found that this can cool the hottest chips by
    10-20C.

Homebuilt Presario Hard Drives Compaq Systems