ATX power switch wires

Replacing old mb with a new Asus p4sp- mx. Problem is it does not say on
the wires from the power switch what is what so I don`t know exactly what
wire to put on what pin. There are 6 wires black, red, blue, white, yellow
and green. It is a micro atx case and doe not have a reset switch. Please
help !

anthony fidler wrote:

> Replacing old mb with a new Asus p4sp- mx. Problem is it does not say on
> the wires from the power switch what is what so I don`t know exactly what
> wire to put on what pin. There are 6 wires black, red, blue, white, yellow
> and green. It is a micro atx case and doe not have a reset switch. Please
> help !

Check the old motherboard docs and see where they're going on it to
determine which wires are what.

"anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Replacing old mb with a new Asus p4sp- mx. Problem is it does not say on
> the wires from the power switch what is what so I don`t know exactly what
> wire to put on what pin. There are 6 wires black, red, blue, white,
yellow
> and green.

That's odd, as only two wires are needed. If you can borrow a multimeter
from someone, check for continuity between two wires when the power button
is pressed. -Dave

I know you only need 2 wires for the switch, the othe 4 are for hard drive
and power on led`s. But what color does what ?

> I know you only need 2 wires for the switch, the othe 4 are for hard drive
> and power on led`s. But what color does what ?

It shouldn't be too hard to figure it out through trial and error. You
can't REVERSE the power connection (it's momentary contact, so it doesn't
matter). If you reverse a LED connection, the LED won't light. So I'd
start with one of the colors on one pin of power. Then hook up each of the
remaining on the other power pin and hit the power switch until the computer
turns on. That should leave you with four connectors for two LEDs. As the
computer is running, hook up two wires on power LED connector until power
LED lights (don't forget to try reversing them also, as the right colors
won't work for an LED if they are reversed). That leaves you with two wires
for HD LED, and you've got a fifty-fifty shot at it. :) I know what the
colors are in my case (black and red are power) but different case
manufacturers use different colors. Yours might be green and black for
power or just about any combination. -Dave