Lame Overclockers.co.uk

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

I've many ordered Chieftec cases from this company in the past and
today I decided to fit 2 extra drives in my last 2 of 5-1/4 bays of my
Full Tower Chieftec DA-01W.

Now for some reason Chieftec make a 6 bay Full Tower but only supply
*4* sets of guide rails.

So I needed another 2 sets of plastic guide rails to use the last 2
bays.

I phoned my supplier of course.
Did Overclockers.co.uk want to know? Of course not.
They actually said to me over the phone that 'they could order them,
but won't'.

So much for customer service!

Well, they may have just lost our company as a customer...

I contacted the Chieftec UK Distributor 'Express Hardware' and they
were 'shocked' at Overclockers attitude.
They said they'd send a free set of guide rails in the post today.

Hopefully this article will be archived by Google and help others
trying to get full support for their purchase.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

I've just placed an order with Overclockers.co.uk, surely they can't
screw up a pack of RAMsinks....

mutley

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

"Anton Gysen" <anton@REMOVETHECAPITALLETTERSantongijsen.com> wrote in
message news:chs83j$v1o$2@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I've just placed an order with Overclockers.co.uk, surely they can't
> screw up a pack of RAMsinks....

Ordered a HDD and a few IDE cables from them, no problems at all :) They
both came next day by Special Delivery.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:00:21 +0100, "Mutley" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"Anton Gysen" <anton@REMOVETHECAPITALLETTERSantongijsen.com> wrote in
>message news:chs83j$v1o$2@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> I've just placed an order with Overclockers.co.uk, surely they can't
>> screw up a pack of RAMsinks....
>
>Ordered a HDD and a few IDE cables from them, no problems at all :) They
>both came next day by Special Delivery.

Wow!

That unique and special service you got from them certainly more than
compensates for all the shitty things one hears about this company.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"Stuart Halliday" <stuarth@ecs-tech.com> wrote in message
> I've many ordered Chieftec cases from this company in the past and
> today I decided to fit 2 extra drives in my last 2 of 5-1/4 bays of my
> Full Tower Chieftec DA-01W.
>
> Now for some reason Chieftec make a 6 bay Full Tower but only supply
> *4* sets of guide rails.
>
> So I needed another 2 sets of plastic guide rails to use the last 2
> bays.
>
> I phoned my supplier of course.
> Did Overclockers.co.uk want to know? Of course not.
> They actually said to me over the phone that 'they could order them,
> but won't'.
>
> So much for customer service!
>
> Well, they may have just lost our company as a customer...
>
> I contacted the Chieftec UK Distributor 'Express Hardware' and they
> were 'shocked' at Overclockers attitude.
> They said they'd send a free set of guide rails in the post today.
>
> Hopefully this article will be archived by Google and help others
> trying to get full support for their purchase.

Overclockers Uk & aftersales service don't belong in the same sentence.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

"Stuart Halliday" <stuarth@ecs-tech.com> wrote in message
> I've many ordered Chieftec cases from this company in the past and
> today I decided to fit 2 extra drives in my last 2 of 5-1/4 bays of my
> Full Tower Chieftec DA-01W.
>
> Now for some reason Chieftec make a 6 bay Full Tower but only supply
> *4* sets of guide rails.
>
> So I needed another 2 sets of plastic guide rails to use the last 2
> bays.
>
> I phoned my supplier of course.
> Did Overclockers.co.uk want to know? Of course not.
> They actually said to me over the phone that 'they could order them,
> but won't'.
>
> So much for customer service!
>
> Well, they may have just lost our company as a customer...
>
> I contacted the Chieftec UK Distributor 'Express Hardware' and they
> were 'shocked' at Overclockers attitude.
> They said they'd send a free set of guide rails in the post today.
>
> Hopefully this article will be archived by Google and help others
> trying to get full support for their purchase.

You were shocked that they don't supply drive rails that the manufacturer
doesn't deem worth supplying as standard, and you think it lame that they
don't carry something in stock as a spares item that maybe 4 or 5 people out
of a hundred owners might use? Hmm.... Seeing as how you've ordered 'many'
of the cases in the past and have only just noticed the number of drive
rails supplied, wouldn't that also indicate how infrequently all 6 bays are
filled? No real shock then that Overclockers.co.uk don't think it's worth
stocking them.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

"A clever name" <Nothingtoseehere@nospam.com> wrote:
[overclockers.co.uk]

>You were shocked that they don't supply drive rails that the manufacturer
>doesn't deem worth supplying as standard, and you think it lame that they
>don't carry something in stock as a spares item that maybe 4 or 5 people out
>of a hundred owners might use? Hmm.... Seeing as how you've ordered 'many'
>of the cases in the past and have only just noticed the number of drive
>rails supplied, wouldn't that also indicate how infrequently all 6 bays are
>filled? No real shock then that Overclockers.co.uk don't think it's worth
>stocking them.

So you think the fact that told the OP that "they could order them,
but won't" is perfectly acceptable? I don't.

I should add to all this overclockers bashing that I've bought from
them on a couple of occasions and everything has been good. I've never
had cause to make any unusual requests or make a return though.

Tim
--
Guns Don’t Kill People, Rappers Do.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

In article <2oq6k05aeh7jip9deln9uqecjq9nguv2nj@4ax.com>, "Tim Auton"
tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY says...
<snip>
> So you think the fact that told the OP that "they could order them,
> but won't" is perfectly acceptable? I don't.

They're probably only available at a silly price, so they don't carry
stock, and they don't do special orders. Seems reasonable enough (I
know I'm making assumptions, but I think you are too).

Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>In article <2oq6k05aeh7jip9deln9uqecjq9nguv2nj@4ax.com>, "Tim Auton"
>tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY says...
><snip>
>> So you think the fact that told the OP that "they could order them,
>> but won't" is perfectly acceptable? I don't.
>>
>They're probably only available at a silly price, so they don't carry
>stock, and they don't do special orders. Seems reasonable enough (I
>know I'm making assumptions, but I think you are too).

Perhaps, but customer service isn't just about what you do but also
how you do it. Saying "we could do it but we won't" is, at best, a
very poor way of relaying your company policy. "Unfortunately we don't
supply that part, I suggest you contact the manufacturer directly." is
a much, much better way of getting the same information across.

It's not their policy (assuming not supplying that part is part of
their policy) that I find a problem, it's the delivery of the message.
I don't know exactly what was said of course, but overclockers gave
Stuart Halliday (the OP) the impression that they simply couldn't be
arsed to help him out. That's a glaring customer service failure.

Tim
--

Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1badb7168ca36287989f62@news.individual.net>...
> In article <g267k0l9dt88ue3mabcrq2noiu6lkgvn83@4ax.com>, "Tim Auton"
> tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY says...
> > Rob Morley <nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > >In article <2oq6k05aeh7jip9deln9uqecjq9nguv2nj@4ax.com>, "Tim Auton"
> > >tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY says...
> > ><snip>
> > >>
> > >They're probably only available at a silly price, so they don't carry
> > >stock, and they don't do special orders. Seems reasonable enough (I
> > >know I'm making assumptions, but I think you are too).

Another way of looking at it is that they've done you a favour...
rather than you paying a silly sum for something they would have to
order in specially, you have got them for free...

"Tim Auton" <tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY> wrote in message
> "A clever name" <Nothingtoseehere@nospam.com> wrote:
> [overclockers.co.uk]
> >
> >You were shocked that they don't supply drive rails that the manufacturer
> >doesn't deem worth supplying as standard, and you think it lame that they
> >don't carry something in stock as a spares item that maybe 4 or 5 people
out
> >of a hundred owners might use? Hmm.... Seeing as how you've ordered
'many'
> >of the cases in the past and have only just noticed the number of drive
> >rails supplied, wouldn't that also indicate how infrequently all 6 bays
are
> >filled? No real shock then that Overclockers.co.uk don't think it's worth
> >stocking them.
>
> So you think the fact that told the OP that "they could order them,
> but won't" is perfectly acceptable? I don't.
>
> I should add to all this overclockers bashing that I've bought from
> them on a couple of occasions and everything has been good. I've never
> had cause to make any unusual requests or make a return though.
>

> Tim
> --
> Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do.

You're assuming that "they could order them, but won't", was actually how it
was said, rather than possibly being paraphrased by the original poster.
Think of it from a business prospective - you have an spares item that you
would rarely sell, that you'd need to pay carriage on (and therefore build
this into the price), and that you'd probably need to order by the box full
to make it viable. If that made them £5 per set as your cost price, would
you order any? I wouldn't, just to have stock sat there on the off chance
that it might be used.

That said, if "they could order them, but won't" was used without any form
of explanation, the guy that said it needs to take lessons in tact and
diplomacy.

Tim Auton <tim.auton@uton.groupSexWithoutTheY> wrote in message news:<g267k0l9dt88ue3mabcrq2noiu6lkgvn83@4ax.com>...

> It's not their policy (assuming not supplying that part is part of
> their policy) that I find a problem, it's the delivery of the message.
> I don't know exactly what was said of course, but overclockers gave
> Stuart Halliday (the OP) the impression that they simply couldn't be
> arsed to help him out. That's a glaring customer service failure.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Strangely I expect a company who is the reseller of an item to at
least try to contact the Distributor and see if they can get the goods
the customer requests.

I order items from the likes of Radio Spares and their customer
service is first class. Nothing is too much trouble.

I've now got myself an extra set of guide rails free of charge from
the Chieftec UK Distributor - PARS Technology ltd - 0870 2000 700

"A clever name" <Nothingtoseehere@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<chvl53$r3s$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...

> You were shocked that they don't supply drive rails that the manufacturer
> doesn't deem worth supplying as standard, and you think it lame that they
> don't carry something in stock as a spares item that maybe 4 or 5 people out
> of a hundred owners might use?

Some more detail required I think:

I'd not ordered a full tower before. Plenty of midi's of course, etc.
So I'd not came across this problem before.
I also didn't put this PC together, a fellow worker did. So I didn't
see the lack of guide rails until I reopened it.

> Hmm.... Seeing as how you've ordered 'many'
> of the cases in the past and have only just noticed the number of drive
> rails supplied, wouldn't that also indicate how infrequently all 6 bays are
> filled?

Perhaps.
But IMHO that's no excuse for a manufacturer not supplying 6
guiderails with a 6 bay case is it? I for one can't understand why
anyone would order a 6 bay case and only use 4 bays. I'll certainly be
more careful when I order cases in the future.

Wouldn't we love it if Ford sold a car with only 4 seats fitted in one
of their 6 people carriers vechicles as 'research had shown that most
trips are carried out with 2 or 4 people in them'. Then don't have a
way for their customers to order those extra seats... How we would
laugh.... :)

> No real shock then that Overclockers.co.uk don't think it's worth
> stocking them.

Fair enough. They can stock what they like. But why give me their bad
attitude?
"Well we could ordered them. But we won't."

It appears that their stock system is not flexible enough to allow
them to order *any* item for their customer that is not usually sold
*even* if the item is from an existing Distributer so its just a
matter for them to pick up the phone and order it?
I was told I'd have to order hundreds so they could justify placing
the item into their stock system.

You go to a car repair shop in the UK and they can order any little
part for your old car and get it deliveried within 4 hours!

I wouldn't have minded paying a service charge on top of the item
price to pay for the extra admin work it would have taken to get it.
But they don't appear to have any policy in place to allow them to get
a item in which they don't usually stock.

This is a very bad trait in modern shops don't you think?

A shop that displays some human care and understanding goes far in my
book.

P.S.
I also wanted to get a Parallel-IDE to SATA adaptor but they don't
stock these common devices either. Oh hum...

> "A clever name" <Nothingtoseehere@nospam.com> wrote in message
>

> Some more detail required I think:
>
> I'd not ordered a full tower before. Plenty of midi's of course, etc.
> So I'd not came across this problem before.
> I also didn't put this PC together, a fellow worker did. So I didn't
> see the lack of guide rails until I reopened it.

Fair point.

> > Hmm.... Seeing as how you've ordered 'many'
> > of the cases in the past and have only just noticed the number of drive
> > rails supplied, wouldn't that also indicate how infrequently all 6 bays
are
> > filled?
>
>> But IMHO that's no excuse for a manufacturer not supplying 6
> guiderails with a 6 bay case is it? I for one can't understand why
> anyone would order a 6 bay case and only use 4 bays. I'll certainly be
> more careful when I order cases in the future.
>
> Wouldn't we love it if Ford sold a car with only 4 seats fitted in one
> of their 6 people carriers vechicles as 'research had shown that most
> trips are carried out with 2 or 4 people in them'. Then don't have a
> way for their customers to order those extra seats... How we would
> laugh.... :)

I'm not trying to excuse the manufacturer on this one, nor indeed the poor
way Overclockers dealt with this.

> It appears that their stock system is not flexible enough to allow
> them to order *any* item for their customer that is not usually sold
> *even* if the item is from an existing Distributer so its just a
> matter for them to pick up the phone and order it?
> I was told I'd have to order hundreds so they could justify placing
> the item into their stock system.
>
> I wouldn't have minded paying a service charge on top of the item
> price to pay for the extra admin work it would have taken to get it.
> But they don't appear to have any policy in place to allow them to get
> a item in which they don't usually stock.

I thin it's more a question of economics. Time is money, so if it takes an
hour (for example) to source and order a 'special order' part, that has to
be built into the cost, which would probably make it uneconomical for you,
as a customer to buy them. How much would you have been prepared to pay -
£5, £10, 20 per set? They are, after all a business, which leads nicely
to.....

> This is a very bad trait in modern shops don't you think?
>
> A shop that displays some human care and understanding goes far in my
> book.

Absolutely agree with you on both points. There's a right way, and a wrong
way of dealing with a customer on things like this, and this would be a
shining example of what not to do. A little tact and understanding go a very
long way.

Thanks for the clarification of your previous post.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

"A clever name" <Nothingtoseehere@nospam.com> wrote in message

<snip>

I've ordered alot of stuff from Overclockers and never had a problem, i'd
have no problem using them again.

"Pete Davidson" <turbulent.hair@BLOODYSPAMvirgin.net> wrote in message
> savastore.com usually beat ocuk on stock and prices

Ok, some of the prices may be better - but they are the worst company I have
ever ordered from.

OcUK have always delivered next day, had good stock, good product range and
some great help on the forums.

Alex

jo0ls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
Archived from groups: alt.comp.case-mods,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.misc (More info?)

didn't notice the date on this thread or the cross posting...
fu's set uk.comp.homebuilt