Tips on getting a smidge better performance from a 2500+ &..

I need some advice. Any advice, tips, suggestions, no matter how
small.
I got a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. And on default settings and even some
overclocking I get lower 3DMark benchmark scores than my old setup.
I can use any suggestions to increase performance. BIOS tweaks, WinXP
Pro settings, anything.

Here's what I have:

CPU: AMD Athalon XP 2500+ (Barton):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-378&depa=1

MOBO: EPoX "EP-8RDA3+" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=1

RAM: 512MB DDR400

VideoCard: ATI built 128MB 9600XT

I have the latest drivers for everything, latest BIOS, etc.
If I set the mobo FSB to 200(400) (the native RAM speed), since the
CPU multiplier is locked, it runs as a 3200+, but it actually doesn't
benchmark any higher. I would rather have the mobo running at 400, but
if I set it to 166(333)...
The CPU runs at its native 2500+ and benchmarks SLIGHTLY higher than
as a 3200+...but why?

The CPU doesn't handle Hyperthreading, right? So that should be turned
off in the BIOS, I get that much at least. But what other common
settings in a BIOS should I check and change?
Caching? A20? SMART?

Should I go ahead and set the mobo to 200(400) and just increase the
voltage to the CPU a smidge?
Should I increase the voltage to the AGP?

Any reasonable tips to get the best performance possible WITHOUT going
crazy with overclocking would be great!

Thanks!
Liam

> I have the latest drivers for everything, latest BIOS, etc.
> If I set the mobo FSB to 200(400) (the native RAM speed), since the
> CPU multiplier is locked, it runs as a 3200+, but it actually doesn't
> benchmark any higher. I would rather have the mobo running at 400, but
> if I set it to 166(333)...
> The CPU runs at its native 2500+ and benchmarks SLIGHTLY higher than
> as a 3200+...but why?

This will really blow your mind, then. If you turn your RAM down to 166
(333), your benchmarks will be a bit higher, also. Modern motherboards can
run processor and ram asynchronously, but you don't gain anything (in terms
of speed) by doing so. Best performance is achieved by matching CPU and
RAM. That's why your benchmarks will probably improve if you underclock
your RAM.

But with your hardware, a 3DMark03 run at 1024 X 768 should only score about
3000. If you are there, or higher, that's probably the best you can
o. -Dave

>Any reasonable tips to get the best performance possible WITHOUT going
>crazy with overclocking would be great!
>
>Thanks!
>Liam

Lock your RAM to the FSB by choosing 100% or 1/1 however it's listed.
Run the FSB at 196. Choose settings instead of "auto". Set AGP MHz 66.
Turn off AGP fast write.
Run scan disk and then defrag.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

>> I have the latest drivers for everything, latest BIOS, etc.
>> If I set the mobo FSB to 200(400) (the native RAM speed), since the
>> CPU multiplier is locked, it runs as a 3200+, but it actually doesn't
>> benchmark any higher. I would rather have the mobo running at 400, but
>> if I set it to 166(333)...
>> The CPU runs at its native 2500+ and benchmarks SLIGHTLY higher than
>> as a 3200+...but why?
>>
> This will really blow your mind, then. If you turn your RAM down to 166
> (333), your benchmarks will be a bit higher, also. Modern motherboards
> can
> run processor and ram asynchronously, but you don't gain anything (in
> terms
> of speed) by doing so. Best performance is achieved by matching CPU and
> RAM. That's why your benchmarks will probably improve if you underclock
> your RAM.
>
> But with your hardware, a 3DMark03 run at 1024 X 768 should only score
> about
> 3000. If you are there, or higher, that's probably the best you can

I believe the part about best performance comes when you can match the speed
of the board and RAM.
Well, I tried that suggestion and I get a 3DMark of 3924.
But then I set the FSB and RAM to 200(400) and let it overclock the CPU to a
3200+ (again, because I can't change the multiplier) and I get a 3DMark of
3969.
Granted, only a 70 point increase, but any point welcome.

Once I accidentally got a 3DMark of 3972, but I have no recolection of what
configuration I had to get it there, and I haven't been able to reproduce
it. My goal is to be able to break 4000, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Thanks for the reply!!
Liam

"AndrewJ" <andrewj@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>Any reasonable tips to get the best performance possible WITHOUT going
>>crazy with overclocking would be great!
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Liam
>
> Lock your RAM to the FSB by choosing 100% or 1/1 however it's listed.
> Run the FSB at 196. Choose settings instead of "auto". Set AGP MHz 66.
> Turn off AGP fast write.
> Run scan disk and then defrag.

Why 196? Stability?
I did all that (never tried manually setting AGP...good to know 66 MHz.)
I get a 3929 on 3DMark with that. But when I turn Fast Write ON, I get a
3DMark of 3969. 40 points, but any point is welcome.

Since I can't adjust the CPU multiplier, setting the FSB to 196 makes my
2500+ read as a 3200+. I went ahead and upped the voltage to 1.7 for the
CPU. (I get no worse temps from the CPU than 35C. Not bad. So I think I'm
fine there.)
Should I up the AGP voltage any? I have no idea what's normal for the AGP...
1.5?

What about Aperture? I have it at 128 MB...should I lower it you think?

I have Diskkeeper defraging the drive every night, and I scandisk once a
week. Just did it again: no problems. But always a good tip!

Thanks for the reply!!
Liam

>>>Any reasonable tips to get the best performance possible WITHOUT going
>>>crazy with overclocking would be great!
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>Liam
>>
>> Lock your RAM to the FSB by choosing 100% or 1/1 however it's listed.
>> Run the FSB at 196. Choose settings instead of "auto". Set AGP MHz 66.
>> Turn off AGP fast write.
>> Run scan disk and then defrag.
>
>Why 196? Stability?

Yes, some parts on the NF2 might not like it higher.

>I did all that (never tried manually setting AGP...good to know 66 MHz.)
>I get a 3929 on 3DMark with that. But when I turn Fast Write ON, I get a
>3DMark of 3969. 40 points, but any point is welcome.

Many turn it off for stability and swear it does nothing for
performance. If you're happy with just a couple moe points raise your
highest RAM number. If it's 6-3-3-2 then try the 6 much higher, as
high as 11. Using this extra slight delay on NF2 boards is known to
boost scores slightly. BTW, if you use mobile chps like I do, Sandra
docks you 40 points since she can't auto detect the chip type!

>Since I can't adjust the CPU multiplier, setting the FSB to 196 makes my
>2500+ read as a 3200+.

It is a 3200+ so you might as well runit at that. All the chips from
2400+ to 3200+ are made in the same batch. AMD does some picky very
quick heat tests to see which get a higher or lower rating.

> I went ahead and upped the voltage to 1.7 for the
>CPU. (I get no worse temps from the CPU than 35C. Not bad. So I think I'm
>fine there.)

The only reason not to run at 3200+ would be if those numbers were 15
or 20 points higher.

>Should I up the AGP voltage any? I have no idea what's normal for the AGP...
>1.5?

I do raise it one increment for stability. If the video never locks up
your fine either way.

>What about Aperture? I have it at 128 MB...should I lower it you think?

Some run it higher. On my Vaio notebook some guys came up with a hack
that doubles it to 256 and swear by it.