Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2004 10:47:00 AM

Hello,

I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V motherboard and
an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have these items and SATA hard
drives, however, I am not sure what would be a good graphics card to get.
There are so many options on the market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8
slot, I do not want to spend a fortune however, I do not want a card that
does not do justice to my new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make
some suggestions on a good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can
mainly cope with video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased
Half-Life 2) that will not cost a fortune?

Also, I have not yet got the ram for this setup yet either. My intention is
to do some moderate overclocking.

Thanks,
Shane

More about : graphics card suggestions

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2004 10:47:01 AM

> I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V motherboard and
> an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have these items and SATA hard
> drives, however, I am not sure what would be a good graphics card to get.
> There are so many options on the market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8
> slot, I do not want to spend a fortune however, I do not want a card that
> does not do justice to my new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make
> some suggestions on a good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can
> mainly cope with video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased
> Half-Life 2) that will not cost a fortune?

If you plan to play future games, at least get a 9800 PRO or a 5900
ultra. You might spend about $200.

If you just want to play most of today's games with eye candy turned
off, a 5700 LE or a 9600 might be enough. The cost then is closer to
$100-120.
!