More memory - worth bothering about.

I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would it all
be not much of an improvement??.
Prescott 2.8 is my CPU.
I dont do video editing etc, Just high end games and photographic
(manipulation etc) stuff.

regards
Freddie

In article <ci20do$c2c$1@news.loxinfo.co.th>, Freddie Clark says...
> I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
> Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
> Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
> total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would it all
> be not much of an improvement??.
> Prescott 2.8 is my CPU.
> I dont do video editing etc, Just high end games and photographic
> (manipulation etc) stuff.

You'll not notice the difference. Even Doom3 has no advantages over
768MB.

Save your money.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

jk

Freddie Clark wrote:

> I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
> Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
> Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
> total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would it all
> be not much of an improvement??.
> Prescott 2.8 is my CPU.
> I dont do video editing etc, Just high end games and photographic
> (manipulation etc) stuff.

For high end games, you should want an Athlon 64 processor. Look
at these Doom 3 results.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

An Athlon 64 is also great for Photoshop. Keep in mind that 64 bit
games will probably be quite awesome. Perhaps we might start
seeing many in early 2005 with the release of the 64 bit version of
Windows XP.

Here is an application whose 64 bit version(run with the beta version
of Windows XP 64 bit edition) runs 25% faster than its 32 bit version
on an Athlon 64.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=257&p=1

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Freddie Clark wrote:
>
> > I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
> > Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
> > Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
> > total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would it
all
> > be not much of an improvement??.
> > Prescott 2.8 is my CPU.
> > I dont do video editing etc, Just high end games and photographic
> > (manipulation etc) stuff.

<snip AMD troll fanboy babble>

He didn't ask about his processor, you dim bulb, he asked about ram.

Freddie: Above one gig of ram, I don't think you'll notice much, unless
you're opening several very very large photos in photoshop, and editing a
very large video, etc.

MC

> > regards
> > Freddie

TJ

Buy a better video card!
"Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Freddie Clark wrote:
>>
>> > I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
>> > Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
>> > Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
>> > total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would
>> > it
> all
>> > be not much of an improvement??.
>> > Prescott 2.8 is my CPU.
>> > I dont do video editing etc, Just high end games and photographic
>> > (manipulation etc) stuff.
>
> <snip AMD troll fanboy babble>
>
> He didn't ask about his processor, you dim bulb, he asked about ram.
>
> Freddie: Above one gig of ram, I don't think you'll notice much, unless
> you're opening several very very large photos in photoshop, and editing a
> very large video, etc.
>
> MC
>

>> > regards
>> > Freddie

JS

"Freddie Clark" <fredclark@SPAM@loxinfo.co.th> wrote in

> I currently have in my P4P800D the following memory:
> Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.
> Would I gain anything by adding another two sticks of the same for 2Gb
> total??. Or would I be better off getting some faster Memory.Or would
> it all be not much of an improvement??.

If you are overclocking faster memory will help. If you are not
overclocking then faster memory will not help. (I suspect you are not
overclocking. If your are, you would probably know this already.) Speddwise
you have two choices:

1. Faster memory: PC3500, PC3700 etc

Your motherboard will not run memory faster than PC3200 speeds unless you
force it to by overclocking. your mobo has features that make overclocking
possible.

2. Lower Latency memory

Lower latency memory does not seem to produce significant bandwidth
inceases.

So: Save tour money or educate yourself about overclocking.