Overloaded Cell Network Interferes with Olympic Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
O2 is the most oversubscribed network in London. On top of that, O2 has least 3G coverage and slowest 3G network. It's not surprising that there is an outage.
Have to give O2 credit for not crashing as they did few weeks ago.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Sounds like the IOC is going "communications crazy" on Olympics attendees. Also sounds like they didn't plan accordingly. Given all of the hooplah over observer-related tweeting, youtubing, etc., I'd use my device extra just out of spite. Not that it would really matter.

G

Not allowed to share videos and pictures, eh? Goodluck controlling that, you asshats.

Did anyone rerally think that people would obey that edict? Seriously . . . it's the Olympics. People take pictures to save memories and SHARE them. Especially of momentous occasions, like, say, one of the world's longest running global traditions. Yeah. It's kind of a big deal.

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
your math is not quite right. Apart from SAR shouldn't be used that way, you are using max allowed not average and also the 2.1million is over 3 day period so actually there is a lot less at any given time.

you can simply the calculation down even more by assuming most phones are apple iphone which emites 1.1w/kg.

Hmmm.....This is interesting. There is a special event at a location. It is an event that will not be repeated at that location for many many years. Do you think that O2 might have thought it was not worth beefing up the communications network for a single event that probably will never be repeated at that location?

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Cell Provider Execs to Cell Provider Engineers: "We need to increase our coverage and operational capacity for the upcoming Olympics!"

Cell Provider Engineers: "Sure we can increase the infrastructure to handle the increased traffic of the 2 million people its just going to cost XX Millions of Pounds!

Execs: "Well what does a few extra pounds get me?"

Engineers: "Well we can optimize the software for a few extra pounds."

Execs: "Great! Make it happen!"

Engineers: "Roger Wilco!"

Execs to Marketing: "Tell the media we've increased the infrastructure to handle the increased cell use during the Olympics!"

Marketing: "It will be in every paper, TV news, and all over our website!"

Execs to Accounting: "Give me an outlandish bonus for our outstanding coverage of the Olympics!"

Accounting to Execs: "But! But ... The Olympics haven't even started yet!"

Execs: "Make it happen!"

Accounting: "Of course my master."

Execs to Marketing: "Prepare to boast about how well we did during the Olympics, and find a scape goat in case something goes wrong ... preferably some mid-level management type who is close to retirement!"

G

Just another reason Romney was right saying what he did. Maybe London wasn't ready after all.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Tehol[/nom]Not allowed to share videos and pictures, eh? Goodluck controlling that, you asshats.Did anyone rerally think that people would obey that edict? Seriously . . . it's the Olympics. People take pictures to save memories and SHARE them. Especially of momentous occasions, like, say, one of the world's longest running global traditions. Yeah. It's kind of a big deal.[/citation]

Network down. Please try again later.

Olympics officials: "..."

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Just to help out, I've sent a msg to everyone to tell them not to send msgs unless it's urgent and to pass this info on.

You're welcome IOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.