System Instability due to bad O/S Install?

I've been having a lot of stability problems with a new system I built.
I've been working through each of the component areas trying to isolate the
cause. I've made a lot of progress to this point, but it's still not 100%.
It recently occurred to me that my installation of Windows 2K was done
before any of this began. Can it be likely that an installation of Windows
2K could have been corrupted to the point that the slight system instability
persists? This corrupted installation would have been caused by an
excessively overheated CPU.

From the start, there was a CPU cooling problem that caused data corruption,
spontaneous reboots, etc. I solved the cooling problem and it became more
stable, but not completely. I've tested the memory, power supply, and
drives to confirm they are not the problem. I updated the BIOS on the MB
and things again got much, much better. But in very rare instances,
spontaneous reboots and auto-launching of my scanner software persists. Not
very often, but it happens.

I arrived at this point of wondering because when I try to launch 'Windows
update' from the Start menu, it fails with an error code. But I just
installed the same copy of Windows 2K on another PC and the update worked
just fine. Same disk, same key, same network. I can't think of a single
reason why the Update would fail except for some sort of corruption on the
system.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice, or input? I'll appreciate anything offered.

Thanks!!
4 answers Last reply
More about system instability install

    Russ M. wrote:
    > I've been having a lot of stability problems with a new system I built.
    > I've been working through each of the component areas trying to isolate the
    > cause. I've made a lot of progress to this point, but it's still not 100%.
    > It recently occurred to me that my installation of Windows 2K was done
    > before any of this began. Can it be likely that an installation of Windows
    > 2K could have been corrupted to the point that the slight system instability
    > persists? This corrupted installation would have been caused by an
    > excessively overheated CPU.
    >
    > From the start, there was a CPU cooling problem that caused data corruption,
    > spontaneous reboots, etc. I solved the cooling problem and it became more
    > stable, but not completely. I've tested the memory, power supply, and
    > drives to confirm they are not the problem. I updated the BIOS on the MB
    > and things again got much, much better. But in very rare instances,
    > spontaneous reboots and auto-launching of my scanner software persists. Not
    > very often, but it happens.
    >
    > I arrived at this point of wondering because when I try to launch 'Windows
    > update' from the Start menu, it fails with an error code. But I just
    > installed the same copy of Windows 2K on another PC and the update worked
    > just fine. Same disk, same key, same network. I can't think of a single
    > reason why the Update would fail except for some sort of corruption on the
    > system.
    >
    > Any thoughts, ideas, advice, or input? I'll appreciate anything offered.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    i'd do a ram test or just plain substitute ,

    if you think the OS had gotten corrupted during the installation
    you can always boot off the CD and perform a repair installtion...

    or more drastic...just format the drive and start over

    It's definitely possible that you're install was corrupted. I had this
    happen to me when I installed WinXP from a backup disc that was burned with
    errors. Doing a repair install from the same disc would have left the same
    problems. Get your temp problems under control, then reinstall from a disc
    that is known to be good.

    Dave

    If you built a machine that was having CPU overheating problems while you
    were installing the OS then, Yes, you probably have Registry errors. You
    should seriously consider reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh
    install of the OS.

    --
    DaveW

    "Russ M." <acid_maltxspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been having a lot of stability problems with a new system I built.
    > I've been working through each of the component areas trying to isolate
    > the
    > cause. I've made a lot of progress to this point, but it's still not
    > 100%.
    > It recently occurred to me that my installation of Windows 2K was done
    > before any of this began. Can it be likely that an installation of
    > Windows
    > 2K could have been corrupted to the point that the slight system
    > instability
    > persists? This corrupted installation would have been caused by an
    > excessively overheated CPU.
    >
    > From the start, there was a CPU cooling problem that caused data
    > corruption,
    > spontaneous reboots, etc. I solved the cooling problem and it became more
    > stable, but not completely. I've tested the memory, power supply, and
    > drives to confirm they are not the problem. I updated the BIOS on the MB
    > and things again got much, much better. But in very rare instances,
    > spontaneous reboots and auto-launching of my scanner software persists.
    > Not
    > very often, but it happens.
    >
    > I arrived at this point of wondering because when I try to launch 'Windows
    > update' from the Start menu, it fails with an error code. But I just
    > installed the same copy of Windows 2K on another PC and the update worked
    > just fine. Same disk, same key, same network. I can't think of a single
    > reason why the Update would fail except for some sort of corruption on the
    > system.
    >
    > Any thoughts, ideas, advice, or input? I'll appreciate anything offered.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    I recently slipstreamed sp2 onto a cd and reinstalled windows xp from
    scratch. My first install was crashing and turned out it was a corrupt
    registry. So yes, a fresh install can go wrong, try checking your event
    viewer for any error messages. In the end I reinstalled again and
    everything is now working fine,

    PT

    > If you built a machine that was having CPU overheating problems while you
    > were installing the OS then, Yes, you probably have Registry errors. You
    > should seriously consider reformatting the harddrive and doing a fresh
    > install of the OS.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Russ M." <acid_maltxspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've been having a lot of stability problems with a new system I built.
    >> I've been working through each of the component areas trying to isolate
    >> the
    >> cause. I've made a lot of progress to this point, but it's still not
    >> 100%.
    >> It recently occurred to me that my installation of Windows 2K was done
    >> before any of this began. Can it be likely that an installation of
    >> Windows
    >> 2K could have been corrupted to the point that the slight system
    >> instability
    >> persists? This corrupted installation would have been caused by an
    >> excessively overheated CPU.
    >>
    >> From the start, there was a CPU cooling problem that caused data
    >> corruption,
    >> spontaneous reboots, etc. I solved the cooling problem and it became
    >> more
    >> stable, but not completely. I've tested the memory, power supply, and
    >> drives to confirm they are not the problem. I updated the BIOS on the MB
    >> and things again got much, much better. But in very rare instances,
    >> spontaneous reboots and auto-launching of my scanner software persists.
    >> Not
    >> very often, but it happens.
    >>
    >> I arrived at this point of wondering because when I try to launch
    >> 'Windows
    >> update' from the Start menu, it fails with an error code. But I just
    >> installed the same copy of Windows 2K on another PC and the update worked
    >> just fine. Same disk, same key, same network. I can't think of a single
    >> reason why the Update would fail except for some sort of corruption on
    >> the
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts, ideas, advice, or input? I'll appreciate anything offered.
    >>
    >> Thanks!!

Homebuilt Systems