XP freezes on CD insert

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 15, 2004 8:41:33 AM

Hi,

I've got a homebuilt that was running smoothly for about the first 6 months
then it occasionally started to freeze when I inserted CD or DVD media into
either my CD-RW drive or my DVD-+RW drive. It has not gotten worse and I
can't insert any CD without the computer freezing and having to reset from
the power button in the back.

I built a P4 2.4ghz with 1GB. It's running Windows XP Pro SP2.(it was doing
this before service pack2).

I haven't added any new hardware but I have a printer, ipod, 2 Drives, zip,
and floppy drive connected.

Any ideas of how I can fix this? My motherboard does do a "bleep" sound on
start up which I know means something is conflicting but in control panel
there are no question marks or exclamation points.

Thanks for any help.

Tara

More about : freezes insert

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2004 8:41:34 AM

Tara wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a homebuilt that was running smoothly for about the first 6 months
> then it occasionally started to freeze when I inserted CD or DVD media into
> either my CD-RW drive or my DVD-+RW drive. It has not gotten worse and I
> can't insert any CD without the computer freezing and having to reset from
> the power button in the back.
>
> I built a P4 2.4ghz with 1GB. It's running Windows XP Pro SP2.(it was doing
> this before service pack2).
>
> I haven't added any new hardware but I have a printer, ipod, 2 Drives, zip,
> and floppy drive connected.
>
> Any ideas of how I can fix this? My motherboard does do a "bleep" sound on
> start up which I know means something is conflicting but in control panel
> there are no question marks or exclamation points.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Tara

You have a problem with one, or both, of the CD drives. Either
master/slave/cable select inconsistencies, UDMA/cable problems, driver
problem, software conflict, bad media, or they may be failing.

It's hanging because it never finishes the auto insert media detection.

Try disabling UDMA on those IDE ports (some drives have problems even when
they supposedly support it).

Check to see if your burner software installed one of the CD-RW 'drag and
drop' packages, like INCD. They grab onto the drive and can cause
conflicts, especially if you have two of them installed.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2004 11:25:30 PM

"Tara" <dahlirious@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've got a homebuilt that was running smoothly for about the first 6
months
> then it occasionally started to freeze when I inserted CD or DVD media
into
> either my CD-RW drive or my DVD-+RW drive. It has not gotten worse and I
> can't insert any CD without the computer freezing and having to reset from
> the power button in the back.
>
> I built a P4 2.4ghz with 1GB. It's running Windows XP Pro SP2.(it was
doing
> this before service pack2).

OK, you say it freezes when you insert CD or DVD media. What about if you
pop in a pre-recorded music CD? What does it do then? I suspect one of
your optical drives is bad, or you have a weakening power supply. When you
pop in media, the disk should spin up, which draws more power. So if your
power supply is marginal, one more drive spinning up might be enough to
cause it to scream uncle. But it could be a software conflict, also.
Putting in a pre-recorded music CD would be an interesting experiment, as
that might launch different software and be OK. If a music CD plays OK,
then you need to possibly uninstall and reinstall your burning
oftware. -Dave
September 16, 2004 11:15:06 AM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Tara" <dahlirious@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a homebuilt that was running smoothly for about the first 6
> months
>> then it occasionally started to freeze when I inserted CD or DVD media
> into
>> either my CD-RW drive or my DVD-+RW drive. It has not gotten worse and I
>> can't insert any CD without the computer freezing and having to reset
>> from
>> the power button in the back.
>>
>> I built a P4 2.4ghz with 1GB. It's running Windows XP Pro SP2.(it was
> doing
>> this before service pack2).
>>

> OK, you say it freezes when you insert CD or DVD media. What about if you
> pop in a pre-recorded music CD? What does it do then? I suspect one of
> your optical drives is bad, or you have a weakening power supply. When
> you
> pop in media, the disk should spin up, which draws more power. So if your
> power supply is marginal, one more drive spinning up might be enough to
> cause it to scream uncle. But it could be a software conflict, also.
> Putting in a pre-recorded music CD would be an interesting experiment, as
> that might launch different software and be OK. If a music CD plays OK,
> then you need to possibly uninstall and reinstall your burning
> oftware. -Dave

Thanks for the help - I'll try those suggestions.