Upgrading Memory Issues.

I'm having a terrible time trying to upgrade the memory in my PC.

I have a factory HP pavilion 7917. I purchased a 128mb stick of ram a
while back and installed it fine. I recently purchsed a 256mb stick
(of the same brand) and for some reason when I reboot the PC it does
not even regcognize that the new RAM is there. I have already
verified that each slot in this model can handle a 256, I returned
the 256 once and tried a brand new one. I have switched which slot
each stick is in. I really can't think of anything else that I can do
to resolve this. I'm at hte end of my rope.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure about systems like your 7917 that use the Intel 810 chipset,
but you may need low-density SDRAM memory. (I don't know if it follows, but
the 256 MB low-density memory I've used had 16 chips on the DIMM.)

You may have a hard time getting low-density memory from a generic vendor.
I've gotten some from www.crucial.com. (I'm in the US. I believe they also
have a UK operation, but I don't know whether they do business in other
countries.) Their prices aren't the absolute lowest, but they guarantee
compatibility.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

"KitteKat" <kittekatz@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I'm having a terrible time trying to upgrade the memory in my PC.
>
> I have a factory HP pavilion 7917. I purchased a 128mb stick of ram a
> while back and installed it fine. I recently purchsed a 256mb stick
> (of the same brand) and for some reason when I reboot the PC it does
> not even regcognize that the new RAM is there. I have already
> verified that each slot in this model can handle a 256, I returned
> the 256 once and tried a brand new one. I have switched which slot
> each stick is in. I really can't think of anything else that I can do
> to resolve this. I'm at hte end of my rope.
>
> Any ideas?

jaster

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:04:18 -0400, KitteKat while doing time wrote:

> I'm having a terrible time trying to upgrade the memory in my PC.
>
> I have a factory HP pavilion 7917. I purchased a 128mb stick of ram a
> while back and installed it fine. I recently purchsed a 256mb stick
> (of the same brand) and for some reason when I reboot the PC it does
> not even regcognize that the new RAM is there. I have already
> verified that each slot in this model can handle a 256, I returned
> the 256 once and tried a brand new one. I have switched which slot
> each stick is in. I really can't think of anything else that I can do
> to resolve this. I'm at hte end of my rope.
>
> Any ideas?

I agree with the other poster. The memory is high density and not
compatible with 810 systems. You need 16x8 or 128Mbit chips. It needs to
be specifically low density.