admin password lost

I inherited a laptop and have no idea what the admin password is. How
do I change it to mine? Can anyone please help me.
3 answers Last reply
More about admin password lost

    Is there a guest account? Try RockXP. If not, there are other programs you
    can download that
    might help.

    yesimstupid wrote:

    > I inherited a laptop and have no idea what the admin password is. How
    > do I change it to mine? Can anyone please help me.

    Usually one method is to do a BIOS update. If you don't have the
    owner's manual, go the manufacture's Web site and see if you can
    download a manual. You don't give any information about your laptop,
    and there are significant differences between manufactures and models on
    how things are accomplished.

    What you're asking is like going into AutoZone and telling them you want
    spark plugs for your car, but you don't tell them what make, model, and
    year your car is. How is anyone supposed to know if you don't tell them?

    In article <4148ca72$3_4@alt.athenanews.com>, stubbie1980@yahoo-dot-
    com.no-spam.invalid says...
    > I inherited a laptop and have no idea what the admin password is. How
    > do I change it to mine? Can anyone please help me.

    Are you referring to XP admin password? Is the password for admin, or
    administrator. If for admin, then you may be able to boot in safe mode
    and select administrator in the hope that no password was ever set for
    the administrator. Once in you can then mess with all user accounts
    from the control panel.

    If the administrator does require a password also then you're going to
    have to get hold of bd040818.zip from here:

    Also make sure you read/understand/print the instructions before using
    the floppy disk that it creates.

    --
    Pete Ives

Homebuilt Hardware Laptops Systems