Siig Controller Card

Vic

Hi all
Having problems installing the Siig Ultra ATA/133 Controller card. Have
installed one in a Windows XP machine (Pentium 4 2.4ghz) and this installed
ok and is running
without any problem. The computer I'm trying to install to now is a MSI 6156
BX mobo Pentium II 400 running Windows XP. Cards bios shows up during boot
up with the correct drive and size (Only one drive connected). It then comes
up with "Searching for boot record from SCSI" and stops. Doesn't lock up or
anything but doesn't go any further. If I put the drive back onto the
motherboard controller it boots up ok.

Have checked the card and cable in the Pentium 4 and its ok. Bios is set to
boot from SCSI. The Bios is an Ami Bios and is the last version they done.

Would appreciate some help please.
Thanks
Vic

Philo

Vic wrote:
> Hi all
> Having problems installing the Siig Ultra ATA/133 Controller card. Have
> installed one in a Windows XP machine (Pentium 4 2.4ghz) and this installed
> ok and is running
> without any problem. The computer I'm trying to install to now is a MSI 6156
> BX mobo Pentium II 400 running Windows XP. Cards bios shows up during boot
> up with the correct drive and size (Only one drive connected). It then comes
> up with "Searching for boot record from SCSI" and stops. Doesn't lock up or
> anything but doesn't go any further. If I put the drive back onto the
> motherboard controller it boots up ok.
>
> Have checked the card and cable in the Pentium 4 and its ok. Bios is set to
> boot from SCSI. The Bios is an Ami Bios and is the last version they done.
>
> Would appreciate some help please.
> Thanks
> Vic

but the drive is not SCSI
so you should not have the bios to boot from SCSI

if there is an option to boot from controller card...use that...

jad

you have enabled 'boot from scsi'?

"Vic" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message
> Hi all
> Having problems installing the Siig Ultra ATA/133 Controller card.
Have
> installed one in a Windows XP machine (Pentium 4 2.4ghz) and this
installed
> ok and is running
> without any problem. The computer I'm trying to install to now is a
MSI 6156
> BX mobo Pentium II 400 running Windows XP. Cards bios shows up
during boot
> up with the correct drive and size (Only one drive connected). It
then comes
> up with "Searching for boot record from SCSI" and stops. Doesn't
lock up or
> anything but doesn't go any further. If I put the drive back onto
the
> motherboard controller it boots up ok.
>
> Have checked the card and cable in the Pentium 4 and its ok. Bios is
set to
> boot from SCSI. The Bios is an Ami Bios and is the last version they
done.

> Would appreciate some help please.
> Thanks
> Vic

Vic

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Vic wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Having problems installing the Siig Ultra ATA/133 Controller card. Have
>> installed one in a Windows XP machine (Pentium 4 2.4ghz) and this
>> installed ok and is running
>> without any problem. The computer I'm trying to install to now is a MSI
>> 6156
>> BX mobo Pentium II 400 running Windows XP. Cards bios shows up during
>> boot
>> up with the correct drive and size (Only one drive connected). It then
>> comes
>> up with "Searching for boot record from SCSI" and stops. Doesn't lock up
>> or
>> anything but doesn't go any further. If I put the drive back onto the
>> motherboard controller it boots up ok.
>>
>> Have checked the card and cable in the Pentium 4 and its ok. Bios is set
>> to boot from SCSI. The Bios is an Ami Bios and is the last version they
>> done.
>>
>> Would appreciate some help please.
>> Thanks
>> Vic
>>

> but the drive is not SCSI
> so you should not have the bios to boot from SCSI
>
> if there is an option to boot from controller card...use that...

>>>but the drive is not SCSI<<<

No its not SCSI

>>>so you should not have the bios to boot from SCSI<<<

Yes you should. Quote from manual "Configure the system to boot to SCSI"

>>>if there is an option to boot from controller card...use that...<<<

There isn't

Philo

Vic wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>Vic wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>Having problems installing the Siig Ultra ATA/133 Controller card. Have
>>>installed one in a Windows XP machine (Pentium 4 2.4ghz) and this
>>>installed ok and is running
>>>without any problem. The computer I'm trying to install to now is a MSI
>>>6156
>>>BX mobo Pentium II 400 running Windows XP. Cards bios shows up during
>>>boot
>>>up with the correct drive and size (Only one drive connected). It then
>>>comes
>>>up with "Searching for boot record from SCSI" and stops. Doesn't lock up
>>>or
>>>anything but doesn't go any further. If I put the drive back onto the
>>>motherboard controller it boots up ok.
>>>
>>>Have checked the card and cable in the Pentium 4 and its ok. Bios is set
>>>to boot from SCSI. The Bios is an Ami Bios and is the last version they
>>>done.
>>>
>>>Would appreciate some help please.
>>>Thanks
>>>Vic
>>>

>>but the drive is not SCSI
>>so you should not have the bios to boot from SCSI
>>
>>if there is an option to boot from controller card...use that...

> No its not SCSI

> Yes you should. Quote from manual "Configure the system to boot to SCSI"

> There isn't

i also have a siig controller ( a slightly older model tha yours)
and there is *no* mention in the manual of setting the bios
to boot from scsi
my bios is *not* set to boot from scsi and the controller works
just fine.

again i suggest you set you bios to something other than
"boot from scsi" maybe it will work maybe it won't
but it will take you all of 60 seconds to find out...
and it certainly won't hurt to try

Philo

philo wrote:
> Vic wrote:
>
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> but the drive is not SCSI
>>> so you should not have the bios to boot from SCSI
>>>
>>> if there is an option to boot from controller card...use that...

>> No its not SCSI

>> Yes you should. Quote from manual "Configure the system to boot to SCSI"

>> There isn't
>>
> i also have a siig controller ( a slightly older model tha yours)
> and there is *no* mention in the manual of setting the bios
> to boot from scsi
> my bios is *not* set to boot from scsi and the controller works
> just fine.
>
> again i suggest you set you bios to something other than
> "boot from scsi" maybe it will work maybe it won't
> but it will take you all of 60 seconds to find out...
> and it certainly won't hurt to try

yikes!
one thing i missed...
when you install XP using a controller card...
there is an option at the beginning of the installation
as to whether you want to install drivers for a controller card etc...
did you do that ? (IIRC you had to prees F6)

> philo wrote:
>> Vic wrote:
>>
>>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> No its not SCSI

>>> Yes you should. Quote from manual "Configure the system to boot to SCSI"

>>> There isn't
>>>
>> i also have a siig controller ( a slightly older model tha yours)
>> and there is *no* mention in the manual of setting the bios
>> to boot from scsi
>> my bios is *not* set to boot from scsi and the controller works
>> just fine.
>>
>> again i suggest you set you bios to something other than
>> "boot from scsi" maybe it will work maybe it won't
>> but it will take you all of 60 seconds to find out...
>> and it certainly won't hurt to try
>>

> yikes!
> one thing i missed...
> when you install XP using a controller card...
> there is an option at the beginning of the installation
> as to whether you want to install drivers for a controller card etc...
> did you do that ? (IIRC you had to prees F6)

Philo
Thanks for your help so far.

>>>i also have a siig controller ( a slightly older model tha yours) and
>>>there is *no* mention in the manual of setting the bios to boot from
>>>scsi<<<

Have a look here: http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050982

This is how I set it up on the Pentium 4. Installed drivers while attached
to motherboard IDE then moved drive to Siig card and set to boot from SCSI
in the Bios. Works perfectly no problems whatsoever on that computer.

>>>again i suggest you set you bios to something other than "boot from
>>>scsi"<<<

There are no other options that relate to the card on my Bios.for the
Pentium 2 machine.

>>>yikes! one thing i missed... when you install XP using a controller
>>>card...there is an option at the beginning of the installation as to
>>>whether you want to install drivers for a controller card etc...did you
>>>do that ? (IIRC you had to prees F6)

XP was already installed. See above re Pentium 4.

I've searched very hard for an answer to get this card to work. Wrote to
Siig who suggested I take the card back as its probably not compatable with
the Pentium 2 motherboard (MSI 6156 BX) and tried two other newsgroups and
of course spent hours trawling Google. The only reason I'm still looking is
the fact that the cards Bios actually shows up with the drive and the
correct size but stops at "Searching for SCSI". Someone in one of the
newsgroups actually got the Siig 100 to work on the MS 6156 motherboard.

Vic

Philo

Vic wrote:
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
>>philo wrote:

>>>i also have a siig controller ( a slightly older model tha yours)
>>>and there is *no* mention in the manual of setting the bios
>>>to boot from scsi
>>>my bios is *not* set to boot from scsi and the controller works
>>>just fine.
>>>
>>>again i suggest you set you bios to something other than
>>>"boot from scsi" maybe it will work maybe it won't
>>>but it will take you all of 60 seconds to find out...
>>>and it certainly won't hurt to try
>>>

>>yikes!
>>one thing i missed...
>>when you install XP using a controller card...
>>there is an option at the beginning of the installation
>>as to whether you want to install drivers for a controller card etc...
>>did you do that ? (IIRC you had to prees F6)
>

> Philo
> Thanks for your help so far.

> Have a look here: http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050982
>
> This is how I set it up on the Pentium 4. Installed drivers while attached
> to motherboard IDE then moved drive to Siig card and set to boot from SCSI
> in the Bios. Works perfectly no problems whatsoever on that computer.

> There are no other options that relate to the card on my Bios.for the
> Pentium 2 machine.

> XP was already installed. See above re Pentium 4.
>
> I've searched very hard for an answer to get this card to work. Wrote to
> Siig who suggested I take the card back as its probably not compatable with
> the Pentium 2 motherboard (MSI 6156 BX) and tried two other newsgroups and
> of course spent hours trawling Google. The only reason I'm still looking is
> the fact that the cards Bios actually shows up with the drive and the
> correct size but stops at "Searching for SCSI". Someone in one of the
> newsgroups actually got the Siig 100 to work on the MS 6156 motherboard.
>
> Vic

anytime a drive with an operating system already on it is put in another
machine...there is a chance it won't boot.
in that case you need to boot with the XP cd and perform a repair
installation...
there is a chance that would work...
and of course there is a chance that the controller will just plain not
work with that mobo.
i have used my siig controller on several machines
and there were some mobo's that just plain never worked with it.

also...i once ended up with a non-bootable XP installtion
after i installed the siig controller drivers...

at any rate.. good luck!

> Vic wrote:
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>>yikes!
>>>one thing i missed...
>>>when you install XP using a controller card...
>>>there is an option at the beginning of the installation
>>>as to whether you want to install drivers for a controller card etc...
>>>did you do that ? (IIRC you had to prees F6)
>>

>> Philo
>> Thanks for your help so far.

>> Have a look here: http://www.siig.com/faq.asp?faqid=10050982
>>
>> This is how I set it up on the Pentium 4. Installed drivers while
>> attached to motherboard IDE then moved drive to Siig card and set to boot
>> from SCSI in the Bios. Works perfectly no problems whatsoever on that
>> computer.

>> There are no other options that relate to the card on my Bios.for the
>> Pentium 2 machine.

>> XP was already installed. See above re Pentium 4.
>>
>> I've searched very hard for an answer to get this card to work. Wrote to
>> Siig who suggested I take the card back as its probably not compatable
>> with the Pentium 2 motherboard (MSI 6156 BX) and tried two other
>> newsgroups and of course spent hours trawling Google. The only reason I'm
>> still looking is the fact that the cards Bios actually shows up with the
>> drive and the correct size but stops at "Searching for SCSI". Someone in
>> one of the newsgroups actually got the Siig 100 to work on the MS 6156
>> motherboard.
>>
>> Vic
>>

> anytime a drive with an operating system already on it is put in another
> machine...there is a chance it won't boot.
> in that case you need to boot with the XP cd and perform a repair
> installation...
> there is a chance that would work...
> and of course there is a chance that the controller will just plain not
> work with that mobo.
> i have used my siig controller on several machines
> and there were some mobo's that just plain never worked with it.
>
> also...i once ended up with a non-bootable XP installtion
> after i installed the siig controller drivers...
>
> at any rate.. good luck!
>

>>>anytime a drive with an operating system already on it is put in another
>>>machine...there is a chance it won't boot.<<<

I haven't moved the drive from one machine to the other. I've got two of the
Siig cards, both the same. One is in the Pentium 4. It was added to that
machine which already had Windows XP installed. The other card was installed
on the Pentium 2 which again already had Windows XP installed. No drives
have been moved to the other Pc.

>>>in that case you need to boot with the XP cd and perform a repair
>>>installation...there is a chance that would work...<<<

Yes that has just crossed my mind or just do a re-install of XP with the
drive on the card and add the drivers that way. Running out of ideas now.

>>>at any rate.. good luck!<<<

Thanks, appreciate that. But got a feeling I may be taking the card back
unless you or someone else can think of something.

Vic

Philo

> Thanks, appreciate that. But got a feeling I may be taking the card back
> unless you or someone else can think of something.
>
> Vic

well...if the controller is working...but for some reason
just cannot detect the bootrecord

you can bootup with the XP cd and enter the repair console

then issue the command: fixboot

or possibly of more use: fixmbr

that may do the trick

Vic

> well...if the controller is working...but for some reason
> just cannot detect the bootrecord
>
> you can bootup with the XP cd and enter the repair console
>
> then issue the command: fixboot
>
> or possibly of more use: fixmbr
>

> that may do the trick

Controllers working ok. Checked it and the lead in the Pentium 4. You
mention the "MBR" which is something I mentioned in another newsgroup,
thinking that it may be the cause. The reason I thought this is that if I
move the hhd cable from the card back to the motherboard controller it boots
up fine. Move it back to the card and it comes up with "Searching for Boot
Record from SCSI" and waits.

Vic

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> you have enabled 'boot from scsi'?

I have Jad, thanks.

Have had enough for tonight so will carry on searching tomorrow. If you or
Philo think of anything else I would appreciate you letting me know.

Regards
Vic