Being forced to upgrade (rant)

Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I built
so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to technology.
My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine I'll
probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to get
parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my XP machine
I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example, what
happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but the only ones
available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen I would
have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the memory. New
technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides, not
everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every
couple years.
18 answers Last reply
More about being forced upgrade rant

    DJS0302 wrote:

    > Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
    > computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
    > machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I built
    > so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to technology.
    > My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine I'll
    > probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to get
    > parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my XP machine
    > I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example, what
    > happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but the only ones
    > available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen I would
    > have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the memory. New
    > technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
    > in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides, not
    > everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every
    > couple years.

    The simple answer is because there's little demand for obsolete technology.

    But your premise is incorrect in it's over simplified form anyway. E.g. you
    can still get PCI video cards, and AGP 1x, and AGP 2x, and AGP 4x, even
    though AGP 8x is the current norm and there's no doubt AGP cards will be
    available for years to come even though PCI Express will be the 'latest'
    technology.

    "My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine
    I'll
    >probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to
    get
    >parts for it. "

    Do you want the computer industry to starve? The computer industry is
    suffering
    since people aren't replacing computers fast enough. If a computer over
    5 years old breaks, it should be thrown away and replaced. Computers are
    cheap enough now.

    On 17 Sep 2004 00:55:15 GMT, djs0302@aol.comnospam (DJS0302) wrote:

    >Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
    >computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
    >machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I built
    >so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to technology.
    >My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine I'll
    >probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to get
    >parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my XP machine
    >I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example, what
    >happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but the only ones
    >available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen I would
    >have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the memory. New
    >technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
    >in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides, not
    >everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every
    >couple years.

    Nope. Doesn't wash. You can still buy PCI video cards. I bet I could
    find new ISA video cards with a bit of a search even. Do you also resent
    auto makers? How old is your main daily driver?

    However, I like to upgrade even if it's at the behest of a new generation
    of games or software, so maybe I'm biased.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    DJS0302 wrote:
    > Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
    > computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
    > machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I built
    > so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to technology.
    > My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine I'll
    > probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to get
    > parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my XP machine
    > I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example, what
    > happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but the only ones
    > available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen I would
    > have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the memory. New
    > technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
    > in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides, not
    > everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every
    > couple years.

    first off...the economy thrives on production and sales...
    so there is no incentive for most computer vendors to continue selling
    older parts...
    that said...it is still *very* easy to keep old machines going for many
    more years.
    over the past 4 years i've probably saved 300 or more older machines
    from going to the land-fills.
    (80% of the machines i find are repairable...20% are used for parts)

    all you need to do is check-in to a group such as the helpline or
    swap-page at www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org and you can probably find
    someone who will send you the part *free* if you just pay the postage!

    In article <20040916205515.27265.00001066@mb-m03.aol.com>, DJS0302
    says...
    > Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
    > computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
    > machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I built
    > so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to technology.
    > My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine I'll
    > probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to get
    > parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my XP machine
    > I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example, what
    > happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but the only ones
    > available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen I would
    > have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the memory. New
    > technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
    > in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides, not
    > everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every
    > couple years.

    E-Bay is your friend. You can buy parts and complete systems for
    anything from 8086XTs upwards.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    In article <414A4288.B6D4E46D@netscape.net>, JK says...
    > "My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine
    > I'll
    > >probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able to
    > get
    > >parts for it. "
    >
    > Do you want the computer industry to starve? The computer industry is
    > suffering
    > since people aren't replacing computers fast enough. If a computer over
    > 5 years old breaks, it should be thrown away and replaced. Computers are
    > cheap enough now.

    Millions of Chinese living with the daily misery the pollutants in
    these abandoned components causes disagree with you.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    >Millions of Chinese living with the daily misery the pollutants in
    >these abandoned components causes disagree with you.
    >
    >--
    >Conor

    That's another reason I don't like throwing away computers. All these
    landfills will eventually be filled up with all these used computers.
    Eventually some of the toxic metals in them will leach out and contaminate the
    soil or water supply in that area. I know there are computer recycling
    centers that dispose of computers properly but most people don't know about
    them. Too many people treat aa computer as a disposable product. I wouldn't
    think of throwing my 5 year old tv away. So why should I throw away a 5 year
    old computer? The tv was a lot cheaper too.

    Michael Cecil:

    > I bet I could find new ISA video cards with a bit of a search even.

    I double dog dare you and NOS (new old stock) doesn't count!

    --
    Mac Cool

    > I like new technolgy but don't you think they're too quick
    > in discarding old technology that many people are still using? Besides,
    not
    > everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer
    every
    > couple years.

    The short answer is there is little marker for it. You can just as eaasily
    go get a whole system from the Windows 95 era for $50 from eBay and mix and
    match any parts you want. Making new PCI video cards or motherboards for
    200 MHz Pentium II is not lucrative enough for anyone.

    Though there are exceptions, and there are internet sites that specialize in
    older hardware. I can still buy new RAM for my Mac SE/30 that I've had
    since 1990. It's even pretty cheap (not per MB but overall an inexpensive
    part).

    The area of computer technology advances by the day. When the latest video
    card hits the shelves its pushed and yesterday's model becomes obsolete.
    I wish medicine could be as productive to find cures for the many forms of
    cancer or failing body parts. I wouldn't complain and say I'm not ready for
    an eye implant. I'll just stick with going blind.
    No one is going to make you change. With your Win95 machine you can
    continue to ignore USB and firewire, partition size limitations, RAM limits,
    security firewalls, networking options, and a plethora of other innovations
    that have materialized through the past years since '95's inception.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:55:15 +0000, DJS0302 while doing time wrote:

    > Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their whole
    > computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my Windows 95
    > machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine that I
    > built so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to
    > technology. My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95
    > machine I'll probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't
    > be able to get parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong
    > with my XP machine I probably won't be able to find parts for it either.
    > For example, what happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a
    > new one but the only ones available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If
    > that were to happen I would have to replace my motherboard and probably
    > the processor and the memory. New technolgy is dandy. I like new
    > technolgy but don't you think they're too quick in discarding old
    > technology that many people are still using? Besides, not everyone has
    > several hundred dollars to throw away for a new computer every couple
    > years.

    I know a few people still using W95 with 0 intention of upgrading. A
    friend only this year moved to XP because an online web course and cable
    internet otherwise they would still be using dialup. A number of people
    only have dialup as their internet option so W95 which is 99% free of
    virus infection is good enough.

    Technomancer:
    > every OS, after 98SE, everybody seems to complain about. ME, 2000
    > and XPHE. There seems to be something bad about each of these OS,
    > apparently XPBE, is about the best of the lot, but even that edition
    > has its problems I am told.

    You are spending too much time with negative people. XP is far superior to
    98, assuming you have a machine with technology from the
    last 5 years. You will never regret upgrading unless you are one of
    those people who won't allow themselves to adapt to new, improved
    things.

    > I disliked the available Windows OS's, I abandoned my upgrade
    > program. Maybe Longhorn, will be the one to change things.

    Green eggs & ham anyone?
    ;)
    --
    Mac Cool

    Unit 42 of 57:

    > This resulted in savage chaos and the Software Wars, and something
    > called the "Apple Liquidation"

    LOL, good stuff. bravo.

    --
    Mac Cool

    When were you born? The mere fact that you have the intelligence to
    even consider an upgrade is thanks to the advancements over the last
    ten years. I have an old refrigerator. it works, keeps things cold,
    freezes what it's supposed to. Got rid of it. Bought a new one, why?
    All things turn obsolete some time in there tenure. They don't perform
    the tasks in a timely fashion. The ice makers no longer fit it. The
    power consumption is ridiculous. The huge size or building materials
    used have been greatly improved. To have the where- with- all to know
    that it maybe time to upgrade and have the funds to do so, puts you
    ahead of many. Some are still searching for the 'Any' key. If this is
    You, then a PII w/Win95 will be suitable. What will you do when your
    'forced' to get rid of your gas burning car?

    "DJS0302" <djs0302@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
    > Does anyone feel a little resentment when they have to upgrade their
    whole
    > computer just because one part goes bad? I'm typing this on my
    Windows 95
    > machine. Why? because it still works. I also have an XP machine
    that I built
    > so you don't need to tell me that I'm way behind when it comes to
    technology.
    > My beef is if something minor goes wrong with my Windows 95 machine
    I'll
    > probably have to throw the whole thing away because I won't be able
    to get
    > parts for it. A few years from now if something goes wrong with my
    XP machine
    > I probably won't be able to find parts for it either. For example,
    what
    > happens if my video card goes bad and I have to buy a new one but
    the only ones
    > available are PCI Express? I only have AGP. If that were to happen
    I would
    > have to replace my motherboard and probably the processor and the
    memory. New
    > technolgy is dandy. I like new technolgy but don't you think
    they're too quick
    > in discarding old technology that many people are still using?
    Besides, not
    > everyone has several hundred dollars to throw away for a new
    computer every
    > couple years.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Add @ntlworld.com to my e-mail address
    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > Technomancer:
    > > every OS, after 98SE, everybody seems to complain about. ME, 2000
    > > and XPHE. There seems to be something bad about each of these OS,
    > > apparently XPBE, is about the best of the lot, but even that edition
    > > has its problems I am told.
    >
    > You are spending too much time with negative people. XP is far superior to
    > 98, assuming you have a machine with technology from the
    > last 5 years. You will never regret upgrading unless you are one of
    > those people who won't allow themselves to adapt to new, improved
    > things.
    >
    > > I disliked the available Windows OS's, I abandoned my upgrade
    > > program. Maybe Longhorn, will be the one to change things.
    >
    > Green eggs & ham anyone?
    > ;)
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Hi Mac Cool

    I have technology within last 5 years, and I have heard that XP, has some
    nice innovative features, but the grief of using XP, far outweighs the
    benefits. And the negative people I hang with are I.T. and computer
    sellers/repairers; I ask them everytime a new SP, comes out for XP, if it is
    now worth changing to XP. And everytime the response is don't bother stick
    with what you have. Unfortunately soon I won't have a choice, in order to
    use the next generation of the software programs I have I am going to have
    to upgrade. I may well be living in the land of dreams, but surely
    Longhorn, couldn't be any worse than XP, I know it could be, but I am always
    hopeful that MS, will produce an OS, with few problems.

    Yours Technomancer
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I.T> guys eh? And they fear XP? Not much useable 'Information'. They
    fear it cause if its done correctly even a baboon can run the machine.

    "Technomancer" <technomancer@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Add @ntlworld.com to my e-mail address
    > "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
    > > Technomancer:
    > > > every OS, after 98SE, everybody seems to complain about. ME,
    2000
    > > > and XPHE. There seems to be something bad about each of these
    OS,
    > > > apparently XPBE, is about the best of the lot, but even that
    edition
    > > > has its problems I am told.
    > >
    > > You are spending too much time with negative people. XP is far
    superior to
    > > 98, assuming you have a machine with technology from the
    > > last 5 years. You will never regret upgrading unless you are one
    of
    > > those people who won't allow themselves to adapt to new, improved
    > > things.
    > >
    > > > I disliked the available Windows OS's, I abandoned my upgrade
    > > > program. Maybe Longhorn, will be the one to change things.
    > >
    > > Green eggs & ham anyone?
    > > ;)
    > > --
    > > Mac Cool
    >
    > Hi Mac Cool
    >
    > I have technology within last 5 years, and I have heard that XP, has
    some
    > nice innovative features, but the grief of using XP, far outweighs
    the
    > benefits. And the negative people I hang with are I.T. and computer
    > sellers/repairers; I ask them everytime a new SP, comes out for XP,
    if it is
    > now worth changing to XP. And everytime the response is don't
    bother stick
    > with what you have. Unfortunately soon I won't have a choice, in
    order to
    > use the next generation of the software programs I have I am going
    to have
    > to upgrade. I may well be living in the land of dreams, but surely
    > Longhorn, couldn't be any worse than XP, I know it could be, but I
    am always
    > hopeful that MS, will produce an OS, with few problems.
    >
    > Yours Technomancer

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Technomancer:

    > the grief of using XP, far outweighs the
    > benefits. And the negative people I hang with are I.T. and computer
    > sellers/repairers; I ask them everytime a new SP, comes out for XP,
    > if it is now worth changing to XP. And everytime the response is
    > don't bother stick with what you have.

    You are getting bad advice in this case, upgrade and don't look back. XP
    is very simple and a wonder to use compared to 95/98.
    --
    Mac Cool
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:47:37 GMT, Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> whipped
    out "The Mallet O' Understanding" and bashed *this* into my head:

    >Technomancer:
    >
    >> the grief of using XP, far outweighs the
    >> benefits. And the negative people I hang with are I.T. and computer
    >> sellers/repairers; I ask them everytime a new SP, comes out for XP,
    >> if it is now worth changing to XP. And everytime the response is
    >> don't bother stick with what you have.
    >
    >You are getting bad advice in this case, upgrade and don't look back. XP
    >is very simple and a wonder to use compared to 95/98.

    (former user of 95 and 98)

    It's kind of scary; I have never had one, not one BSOD out of Windows
    XP Pro. The only GPFs I've had have been clearly identified as the
    fault of the application, not the OS.

    I mean; *gasp*; apart from it's horrid security architecture, it would
    appear that Windows has finally become...mature.

    "Black shirted boys in the badlands
    play machine-gun rodeo;
    the downtown mission's packed too tight,
    with folks that got nowhere to go."

    --- David Baerwald, "River's Gonna Rise", 1986

Homebuilt Systems