Our printers are being hacked

Three of our HP printers are being hacked. They are network printers
with static IP addresses. Over night all three printers went through 500
pages of paper each with one to four lines of ASCII characters printed
at the top of each page. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas or
suggestions on how to keep the printers from being accosted?

Thanks,
Patrick

--
Patrick A. Smith
Assistant System Administrator

Patrick wrote:

> Three of our HP printers are being hacked. They are network printers
> with static IP addresses. Over night all three printers went through 500
> pages of paper each with one to four lines of ASCII characters printed
> at the top of each page. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas or
> suggestions on how to keep the printers from being accosted?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

Sounds like a virus - will check with our sysadmin tomorrow morning. We
had this problem about 2 years ago - check your AV software.

JimH

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Firewall them ?

"Patrick" <psmith@marine.usf.edu> wrote in message
> Three of our HP printers are being hacked. They are network printers
> with static IP addresses. Over night all three printers went through 500
> pages of paper each with one to four lines of ASCII characters printed
> at the top of each page. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas or
> suggestions on how to keep the printers from being accosted?
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick A. Smith
> Assistant System Administrator
> Ocean Circulation Group – USF - College of Marine Science
> http://ocg6.marine.usf.edu Phone: 727 553-3334

"Patrick" <psmith@marine.usf.edu> wrote in message
> Three of our HP printers are being hacked. They are network printers with
> static IP addresses. Over night all three printers went through 500 pages of
> paper each with one to four lines of ASCII characters printed at the top of
> each page. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any ideas or suggestions on how
> to keep the printers from being accosted?

This may be due to the Bugbear or some other virus/Worm. The following have
some discussions:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=77719 and
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/tanatos.shtml

Regards,