Want to connect 3.5" HDD via USB or 1394 cable without enc..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.

I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out quickly.

Cheers,

Fred.

Philo

Fred Finisterre wrote:
> Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
> Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.
>
> I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
> odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out quickly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.

you may as well just get the enclosure...
as in addition to the ide leads...you will need the power leads as well
just leave the top off the enclosure and you can get at the ide cables
easily

btw: those cables have very fine leads and can easily break...
you might be better offf with a removable drive kit and caddies

lee

Fred Finisterre wrote:

> Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
> Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.

Loads on Ebay - watch the postage though :)

The usual online dealers do them as well.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

lee

philo wrote:

> you may as well just get the enclosure...
> as in addition to the ide leads...you will need the power leads as well
> just leave the top off the enclosure and you can get at the ide cables
> easily

The leads come with the power adapter now.

> btw: those cables have very fine leads and can easily break...
> you might be better offf with a removable drive kit and caddies

Good point. Not sure about suggesting a caddy either though, since the
OP wants to swap loads of disks and buying umpteen caddies is probably
not what they wanted to do :)

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

No; you need the harddrive to have the USB 2.0 or 1394 conversion circuitry.

--
DaveW

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
> Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.
>
> I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
> odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out
> quickly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
> Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.
>
> I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
> odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out
> quickly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.

Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/
do a USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor (£40 but I've seen them cheaper elsewhere)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040918002128642&moduleno=35057
or paste "USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor" (without quotes) into their product
search

"Pete" wrote in message ...

> Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/
> do a USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor (£40 but I've seen them cheaper elsewhere)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040918002128642&modul
eno=35057
> or paste "USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor" (without quotes) into their
product
> search

Damn! You beat me to it. I was about to suggest the same thing.

I was also going to suggest their replacement Molex plugs too (part no.
A81BY). It'd be easy enough to wire up a power extension cable, and
these plugs will take the agro out of unplugging the power to the
drives.

STM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:37:54 +0100, "Pete"
<caseypetNOTTHISBIT@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
>> Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.
>>
>> I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
>> odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out
>> quickly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Fred.
>
>Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/
>do a USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor (£40 but I've seen them cheaper elsewhere)
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040918002128642&moduleno=35057
>or paste "USB 2.0 to IDE Adaptor" (without quotes) into their product
>search

have a look here..

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=cpc+catalogue&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=CS1002566

Philo

Lee wrote:
> philo wrote:
>

>> you may as well just get the enclosure...
>> as in addition to the ide leads...you will need the power leads as well
>> just leave the top off the enclosure and you can get at the ide cables
>> easily
>>

> The leads come with the power adapter now.
>
>> btw: those cables have very fine leads and can easily break...
>> you might be better offf with a removable drive kit and caddies
>>

> Good point. Not sure about suggesting a caddy either though, since the
> OP wants to swap loads of disks and buying umpteen caddies is probably
> not what they wanted to do :)
>
> Lee

well those 80 wire cables are very frail...
if possible use an ide connector with "pull tabs" on it
the 40 wire cables hold up much better

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone sell a cable that'll let me plug 3.5" IDE hard disks into a USB2 or
>Firewire scoket without having to muck about putting them in an enclosure.

>I have a cupboard full of old hard disks that I sometimes need to grab the
>odd file from, so it'd be useful to be able to plug 'em in and out quickly.

You can buy the adapters separately but they tend not to include power
supplies and the ones I've seen are more costly than cheap enclosures.

I do the same as 'philo' suggested and have a cheap enclosure from SVP
Communications. The one I use has a "clam shell" type case so I can
rest the drive in the bottom half, protecting the delicate electronics
on the underside of the drive, without having to faff around
assembling it properly.