Network connection priorities

Do you know a way of assigning priority to a network connection in XP Pro?
I have a laptop with a wireless card and a wired connection to the same
network , I would like to configure it to use the wire connection if it is
available and use the wireless if not .

In article <D37282AB-6D29-45D0-A418-D720BFADE230@microsoft.com>, Juan
Antonio <Juan Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Do you know a way of assigning priority to a network connection in XP Pro?
>I have a laptop with a wireless card and a wired connection to the same
>network , I would like to configure it to use the wire connection if it is
>available and use the wireless if not .

That should happen by default using XP's "automatic metric" feature:

An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for Internet Protocol
routes
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299540

If it doesn't, manually assign metrics to both connections, giving a
lower value to the wired connection:

1. Open the Network Connections folder.
2. Right click the desired connection.
3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
4. Click Properties | Advanced.
5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Well, sort of:

Right click on My Network places and select Properties. Click
Advanced/Advanced Settings. Move the Local Area Connection for the ethernet
adapter to the top of the binding order. See;

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en
-us/intwork/indf_dlc_eeme.asp

However, it is not a good idea to have 2 adapters connected to the same
subnet at the same time. Disable the one you do not want to use.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP