DVD burner on USB

I want to buy a DVD burner. Is it a good idea to buy a USB 2.0 burner
drive ?
As I have a desktop and notebook around, I want to share the drive among
PCs. Is there any known problem on external DVD burner ? Will burning
speed be lower ?
3 answers Last reply
More about burner

    "john" <johnjohn9191@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to buy a DVD burner. Is it a good idea to buy a USB 2.0 burner drive
    >?
    > As I have a desktop and notebook around, I want to share the drive among
    > PCs. Is there any known problem on external DVD burner ? Will burning
    > speed be lower ?

    DVD burners are over 9GB in capacity now. Do you REALLY want to transfer
    9GB over a USB connection, even if it's USB 2? I think you'd be lucky (damn
    lucky) to get 1X speed out of that. So you are looking at 4 hours or so per
    burn. Yikes.

    Wouldn't it be better to network the computers together? Decent routers can
    be found for as little as FREE after rebate now. Yes, that means you will
    have to hook up a cable to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop so
    you can burn them to CDR or whatever. But with an external burner, you'd be
    stringing cable anyway, and it would be a lot slower. -Dave

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"john" <johnjohn9191@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I want to buy a DVD burner. Is it a good idea to buy a USB 2.0 burner drive
    >>?
    >> As I have a desktop and notebook around, I want to share the drive among
    >> PCs. Is there any known problem on external DVD burner ? Will burning
    >> speed be lower ?
    >>

    >DVD burners are over 9GB in capacity now. Do you REALLY want to transfer
    >9GB over a USB connection, even if it's USB 2? I think you'd be lucky (damn
    >lucky) to get 1X speed out of that. So you are looking at 4 hours or so per
    >burn. Yikes.
    >
    >Wouldn't it be better to network the computers together? Decent routers can
    >be found for as little as FREE after rebate now. Yes, that means you will
    >have to hook up a cable to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop so
    >you can burn them to CDR or whatever. But with an external burner, you'd be
    >stringing cable anyway, and it would be a lot slower. -Dave

    Correct me if I am wrong here but USB2 is AFAIK 480Mbits and my LAN here is
    100Mbits for USB2 is faster.

    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

    My calculations show USB2 doing 80MB per sec so this even allowing for
    overheads should be fine for DVD recording at x16 which works at a data
    rate of 21.13. I am not aware of any media or burners that do anything like
    this speed of burning yet

    http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa4.htm

    In short to the OP yes USB2 or Firewire is fine for a DVD Burner. THe only
    problem is the greater expense of an external burner.

    Hope this helps

    Andy

    john <johnjohn9191@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I want to buy a DVD burner. Is it a good idea to buy a USB 2.0 burner
    > drive ?
    > As I have a desktop and notebook around, I want to share the drive among
    > PCs. Is there any known problem on external DVD burner ? Will burning
    > speed be lower ?

    I have an external Cendyne (from Costco) USB 2.0 4X DVD burner and it
    works just fine. The limiting factor is the DVD writing speed, not
    the USB2 data pipe.

Homebuilt DVD Burner USB Systems