windows wireless zero configuration service not available

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2005 3:06:01 PM

I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that came
with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed a
wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys wmp54g
wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I find
the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
(presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys adaptor
and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic windows
detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).

I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
networks tab in the properties of the the network connection

on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
%systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
that windows cannot find that command.

I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic windows
xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.

Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
on the network.

Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network configuration
service. Should I try to re-install SP2?

Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 4, 2005 9:40:47 PM

In article <5CB7327A-927A-4F45-94DA-982699EE6DCA@microsoft.com>,
"Sanjeev" <Sanjeev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
>network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that came
>with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed a
>wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys wmp54g
>wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
>configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I find
>the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
>(presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
>networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys adaptor
>and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic windows
>detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).
>
>I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
>i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
>networks tab in the properties of the the network connection
>
>on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
>%systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
>that windows cannot find that command.
>
>I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic windows
>xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.
>
>Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
>on the network.
>
>Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network configuration
>service. Should I try to re-install SP2?
>
>Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

There should be a blank before "/s" in the command:

%systemroot%\system32\services.msc /s

I usually enter the command in its abbreviated form:

services.msc

If the Wireless Zero Configuration service doesn't appear in the list
of available services, re-install it:

1. Run the registry editor.

2. Open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
July 5, 2005 7:33:08 AM

Do you have any other wireless connections? If so, you might try deleting
it because it seems to me that WinXP will only allow one wirless connect.

Clark

"Sanjeev" <Sanjeev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
> network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that
> came
> with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed
> wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys
> wmp54g
> wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
> configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I
> find
> the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
> (presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
> networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys
> adaptor
> and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic
> windows
> detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).
>
> I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
> i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
> networks tab in the properties of the the network connection
>
> on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
> %systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
> that windows cannot find that command.
>
> I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic
> windows
> xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.
>
> Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
> on the network.
>
> Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network
> configuration
> service. Should I try to re-install SP2?
>
> Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

a b F Wireless
July 5, 2005 7:33:09 AM

In article <Ubnye.895$Ae.838@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, "Clark"
<who@whoknows.com> wrote:

>"Sanjeev" <Sanjeev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
>> network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that
>> came
>> with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed
>> wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys
>> wmp54g
>> wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
>> configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I
>> find
>> the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
>> (presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
>> networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys
>> adaptor
>> and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic
>> windows
>> detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).
>>
>> I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
>> i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
>> networks tab in the properties of the the network connection
>>
>> on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
>> %systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
>> that windows cannot find that command.
>>
>> I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic
>> windows
>> xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.
>>
>> Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
>> on the network.
>>
>> Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network
>> configuration
>> service. Should I try to re-install SP2?
>>
>> Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
>
>Do you have any other wireless connections? If so, you might try deleting
>it because it seems to me that WinXP will only allow one wirless connect.
>
>Clar

WinXP allows multiple wireless network connections, and they can even
be connected at the same time.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 6, 2005 10:37:08 AM

Thanks. The services.msc worked...I have wireless connection to my home
network.

I had previously tried to reinstall SP2 and since then the Internet explorer
program and icon are gone! I presume I will need to re-install those from the
SP2 program

Is there any short manual that would explain to novices how to open and set
up the windows zero config. and other items in the registry, to fix other
quirks and error messages, what is a DWORD etc. Thanks again, your advise has
been very helpful.

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <5CB7327A-927A-4F45-94DA-982699EE6DCA@microsoft.com>,
> "Sanjeev" <Sanjeev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
> >network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that came
> >with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed a
> >wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys wmp54g
> >wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
> >configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I find
> >the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
> >(presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
> >networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys adaptor
> >and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic windows
> >detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).
> >
> >I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
> >i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
> >networks tab in the properties of the the network connection
> >
> >on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
> >%systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
> >that windows cannot find that command.
> >
> >I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic windows
> >xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.
> >
> >Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
> >on the network.
> >
> >Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network configuration
> >service. Should I try to re-install SP2?
> >
> >Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
>
> There should be a blank before "/s" in the command:
>
> %systemroot%\system32\services.msc /s
>
> I usually enter the command in its abbreviated form:
>
> services.msc
>
> If the Wireless Zero Configuration service doesn't appear in the list
> of available services, re-install it:
>
> 1. Run the registry editor.
>
> 2. Open this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC
>
> 3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 6, 2005 2:51:36 PM

In article <295F7205-341E-4D45-BD4A-FCDB511729D6@microsoft.com>,
"Sanjeev" <Sanjeev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >I am running windows xp sp2. I had previously used a microsoft modem and
>> >network adaptor and had installed the microsoft networking software that came
>> >with the device. Then I updated my system with a linksys router. I needed a
>> >wireless connection with this computer and so I installed the Linsys wmp54g
>> >wireless adaptor that is normally compatible with windows automatic
>> >configuration service. When I try to view available wireless networks, I find
>> >the windows automatic configuration service is no longer available
>> >(presumably deleted by the other microsoft software). (The microsoft
>> >networking software did not recognize any networks with the linksys adaptor
>> >and so I removed this add-on software in the hope that the auotmatic windows
>> >detection of networks would kick-in, but of course it did not).
>> >
>> >I aleady tried the the fixes in article KB871122 :
>> >i.e to change settings of the network connection and there is no wireless
>> >networks tab in the properties of the the network connection
>> >
>> >on trying to the start the zero configuration service using the
>> >%systemroot%\system32\services.msc/s under the run command I get an error
>> >that windows cannot find that command.
>> >
>> >I tried to reinstall the windows networking component from the basic windows
>> >xp disk (not sp2) but that made no difference.
>> >
>> >Furthermore, my other wired network and wireless laptop computer work fine
>> >on the network.
>> >
>> >Is there any way to re-initiate the windows automatic network configuration
>> >service. Should I try to re-install SP2?
>> >
>> >Please help with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> There should be a blank before "/s" in the command:
>>
>> %systemroot%\system32\services.msc /s
>>
>> I usually enter the command in its abbreviated form:
>>
>> services.msc
>>
>> If the Wireless Zero Configuration service doesn't appear in the list
>> of available services, re-install it:
>>
>> 1. Run the registry editor.
>>
>> 2. Open this key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC
>>
>> 3. Create a DWORD value named "Start" and set it to 2.
>
>Thanks. The services.msc worked...I have wireless connection to my home
>network.
>
>I had previously tried to reinstall SP2 and since then the Internet explorer
>program and icon are gone! I presume I will need to re-install those from the
>SP2 program
>
>Is there any short manual that would explain to novices how to open and set
>up the windows zero config. and other items in the registry, to fix other
>quirks and error messages, what is a DWORD etc. Thanks again, your advise has
>been very helpful.

You're welcome. I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve the
problem.

See this registry tutorial. I don't think that it's up to date for
Windows XP, but it covers the basics:

http://www.winguides.com/article.php?id=1&guide=registr...

That tutorial is part of this web site, which has information on
various registry tweaks:

http://www.winguides.com/registry
--

!