48 bit LBA, does it ever really work?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

I have an Albatron PX875P board with a Samsung 160GB HDD and I dual boot
Win98 and Win2K both with all the lastest updates. The drive is correctly
recognized in the BIOS and it appeared to be correctly recognized in
windows, I have it partitioned into (2) 80GB drives. Windows 98 reports the
capacity of both partitions as 74.5GB and Win2Ks Disk Manager shows the same
with a total disk capacity of 149GB. Everything seemed to be working fine
until recently when the total used space on the 2 partitions reached 128GB.

My C: drive became completely corrupt and after I restarted it wasn't even
recognized as being formated. I've since repartitioned and formatted and
tried restoring from backups and found that I can fill either partition but
when the next partition reaches about half it's capacity the other partition
becomes corrupt again. I also noticed that a file recovery program I tried
(in both win98 and win2k) is reporting the total disk capacity as 128GB but
each partition is still reported as 74.5GB. I've run thorough scan disks and
Samsungs HDD Utility and neither find any problems with the drive so what
can be going wrong and how do I fix it???

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:39:47 GMT, "Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have an Albatron PX875P board with a Samsung 160GB HDD and I dual boot
>Win98 and Win2K both with all the lastest updates. The drive is correctly
>recognized in the BIOS and it appeared to be correctly recognized in
>windows, I have it partitioned into (2) 80GB drives. Windows 98 reports the
>capacity of both partitions as 74.5GB and Win2Ks Disk Manager shows the same
>with a total disk capacity of 149GB. Everything seemed to be working fine
>until recently when the total used space on the 2 partitions reached 128GB.
>
>My C: drive became completely corrupt and after I restarted it wasn't even
>recognized as being formated. I've since repartitioned and formatted and
>tried restoring from backups and found that I can fill either partition but
>when the next partition reaches about half it's capacity the other partition
>becomes corrupt again. I also noticed that a file recovery program I tried
>(in both win98 and win2k) is reporting the total disk capacity as 128GB but
>each partition is still reported as 74.5GB. I've run thorough scan disks and
>Samsungs HDD Utility and neither find any problems with the drive so what
>can be going wrong and how do I fix it???

I had drive corruption once on a large drive. It had FAT32 format and
I had tried to copy a file which exceeded the 4GB file limit.

Also, Win2k is supposed to not be able to access a system drive larger
than 32GB unless you use NTFS (looks like some old code MS failed to
update. Maybe they just want you to switch to NTFS).

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
for granted." -- Bertrand Russell

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

"Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I have an Albatron PX875P board with a Samsung 160GB HDD and I dual
> boot Win98 and Win2K both with all the lastest updates. The drive is
> correctly recognized in the BIOS and it appeared to be correctly
> recognized in windows, I have it partitioned into (2) 80GB drives.
> Windows 98 reports the capacity of both partitions as 74.5GB and
> Win2Ks Disk Manager shows the same with a total disk capacity of
> 149GB. Everything seemed to be working fine until recently when the
> total used space on the 2 partitions reached 128GB.
>
> My C: drive became completely corrupt and after I restarted it wasn't
> even recognized as being formated. I've since repartitioned and
> formatted and tried restoring from backups and found that I can fill
> either partition but when the next partition reaches about half it's
> capacity the other partition becomes corrupt again. I also noticed
> that a file recovery program I tried (in both win98 and win2k) is
> reporting the total disk capacity as 128GB but each partition is still
> reported as 74.5GB. I've run thorough scan disks and Samsungs HDD
> Utility and neither find any problems with the drive so what can be
> going wrong and how do I fix it???

The difference between 149GB and 160GB is decimal and 'binairy' gigs.
149 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 160 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000

W2000 have to have SP3 to support LBA 48, and it must be enabled in
registry.
<support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;305098>

About 98:
<www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

In article <TFj4d.6424$oS3.2809@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>, Wooducoodu
says...

> My C: drive became completely corrupt and after I restarted it wasn't even
> recognized as being formated. I've since repartitioned and formatted and
> tried restoring from backups and found that I can fill either partition but
> when the next partition reaches about half it's capacity the other partition
> becomes corrupt again. I also noticed that a file recovery program I tried
> (in both win98 and win2k) is reporting the total disk capacity as 128GB but
> each partition is still reported as 74.5GB. I've run thorough scan disks and
> Samsungs HDD Utility and neither find any problems with the drive so what
> can be going wrong and how do I fix it???

You've not enabled 48bit LBA support.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Gary H wrote in news:ldi3l0d3p6qukuqdrlscfh99lehevpddmu@4ax.com:

> Also, Win2k is supposed to not be able to access a system drive larger
> than 32GB unless you use NTFS (looks like some old code MS failed to
> update. Maybe they just want you to switch to NTFS).

Yes it is. It just won't format a 32+ gig partition as FAT32. It can read
them just fine.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:27:19 +0000, Jim Berwick <jimb@snip.net> wrote:

>Gary H wrote in news:ldi3l0d3p6qukuqdrlscfh99lehevpddmu@4ax.com:
>
>> Also, Win2k is supposed to not be able to access a system drive larger
>> than 32GB unless you use NTFS (looks like some old code MS failed to
>> update. Maybe they just want you to switch to NTFS).
>>

>Yes it is. It just won't format a 32+ gig partition as FAT32. It can read
>them just fine.

Note that my statement was about a SYSTEM DRIVE (the drive with win2k
on it), not just a data drive. Are you sure you checked that?

Gary wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:27:19 +0000, Jim Berwick <jimb@snip.net> wrote:
>

>>Gary H wrote in news:ldi3l0d3p6qukuqdrlscfh99lehevpddmu@4ax.com:
>>

>>>Also, Win2k is supposed to not be able to access a system drive larger
>>>than 32GB unless you use NTFS (looks like some old code MS failed to
>>>update. Maybe they just want you to switch to NTFS).
>>>

>>Yes it is. It just won't format a 32+ gig partition as FAT32. It can read
>>them just fine.
>

> Note that my statement was about a SYSTEM DRIVE (the drive with win2k
> on it), not just a data drive. Are you sure you checked that?

Microsoft explains that if you just really really want to use a large FAT32
partition as the system drive then format it with a win98 startup disk
(within those limits) or a third party utility and install to it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:45 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Gary wrote:

>>>Yes it is. It just won't format a 32+ gig partition as FAT32. It can read
>>>them just fine.
>>

>> Note that my statement was about a SYSTEM DRIVE (the drive with win2k
>> on it), not just a data drive. Are you sure you checked that?
>>

>Microsoft explains that if you just really really want to use a large FAT32
>partition as the system drive then format it with a win98 startup disk
>(within those limits) or a third party utility and install to it.

OK. I had not had experience with this, but read a MS article. That's
why I said "SUPPOSED to not allow" rather than "does not allow".

It looks like some parts of MS don't know what the other parts are
doing. Such inconsistancies are to be expected in a big corporation.

Gary wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:45 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Gary wrote:

>>>Note that my statement was about a SYSTEM DRIVE (the drive with win2k
>>>on it), not just a data drive. Are you sure you checked that?
>>>

>>Microsoft explains that if you just really really want to use a large FAT32
>>partition as the system drive then format it with a win98 startup disk
>>(within those limits) or a third party utility and install to it.
>

> OK. I had not had experience with this, but read a MS article. That's
> why I said "SUPPOSED to not allow" rather than "does not allow".
>
> It looks like some parts of MS don't know what the other parts are
> doing. Such inconsistancies are to be expected in a big corporation.

Well, Microsoft doesn't make it as clear all in one swoop as I presented
it. You have to survey a couple of their articles to put it all together.

At any rate, here's a site with the procedure laid out.

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm

(The title says XP but it applies to Windows 2000 too, as they explain in
the article)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:24:41 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:24:45 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Microsoft explains that if you just really really want to use a large FAT32
>>>partition as the system drive then format it with a win98 startup disk
>>>(within those limits) or a third party utility and install to it.
>>

>> OK. I had not had experience with this, but read a MS article. That's
>> why I said "SUPPOSED to not allow" rather than "does not allow".
>>
>> It looks like some parts of MS don't know what the other parts are
>> doing. Such inconsistancies are to be expected in a big corporation.
>>

>Well, Microsoft doesn't make it as clear all in one swoop as I presented
>it. You have to survey a couple of their articles to put it all together.
>
>At any rate, here's a site with the procedure laid out.
>
>http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
>
>(The title says XP but it applies to Windows 2000 too, as they explain in
>the article)

For some reason, that article says there's a limit of 32GB, then
contradicts itself.

That DOESN'T make it look very reliable.

Gary wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:24:41 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Gary wrote:

>>>OK. I had not had experience with this, but read a MS article. That's
>>>why I said "SUPPOSED to not allow" rather than "does not allow".
>>>
>>>It looks like some parts of MS don't know what the other parts are
>>>doing. Such inconsistancies are to be expected in a big corporation.
>>>

>>Well, Microsoft doesn't make it as clear all in one swoop as I presented
>>it. You have to survey a couple of their articles to put it all together.
>>
>>At any rate, here's a site with the procedure laid out.
>>
>>http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
>>
>>(The title says XP but it applies to Windows 2000 too, as they explain in
>>the article)
>

> For some reason, that article says there's a limit of 32GB, then
> contradicts itself.

No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT the dern
thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with something else and then
install to the partition you made.

> That DOESN'T make it look very reliable.

Then use NTFS.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

A 160gig drive in disk manufacturer gigabytes is only 149gig in real gigabytes.
That stems from the fact that disk manufacturers consider a gigabyte
1,000,000,000 bytes, while the rest of the world consider a gigabyte 1024 * 1024
* 1024, which comes to 1,073,741,824. Do the math, you get 149.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:39:47 GMT, "Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have an Albatron PX875P board with a Samsung 160GB HDD and I dual boot
>Win98 and Win2K both with all the lastest updates. The drive is correctly
>recognized in the BIOS and it appeared to be correctly recognized in
>windows, I have it partitioned into (2) 80GB drives. Windows 98 reports the
>capacity of both partitions as 74.5GB and Win2Ks Disk Manager shows the same
>with a total disk capacity of 149GB. Everything seemed to be working fine
>until recently when the total used space on the 2 partitions reached 128GB.
>
>My C: drive became completely corrupt and after I restarted it wasn't even
>recognized as being formated. I've since repartitioned and formatted and
>tried restoring from backups and found that I can fill either partition but
>when the next partition reaches about half it's capacity the other partition
>becomes corrupt again. I also noticed that a file recovery program I tried
>(in both win98 and win2k) is reporting the total disk capacity as 128GB but
>each partition is still reported as 74.5GB. I've run thorough scan disks and
>Samsungs HDD Utility and neither find any problems with the drive so what
>can be going wrong and how do I fix it???

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

don't post somebody's opinion site

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;93496

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:29:47 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:24:41 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Well, Microsoft doesn't make it as clear all in one swoop as I presented
>>>it. You have to survey a couple of their articles to put it all together.
>>>
>>>At any rate, here's a site with the procedure laid out.
>>>
>>>http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
>>>
>>>(The title says XP but it applies to Windows 2000 too, as they explain in
>>>the article)
>>

>> For some reason, that article says there's a limit of 32GB, then
>> contradicts itself.
>
>No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT the dern
>thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with something else and then
>install to the partition you made.

Here is the entire quote of the paragraph that says there's a limit: "
Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003 support FAT32 partitions
(Windows NT 4.0 did not) but there is a maximum size limit of 32GB."

Sorry, I don't read invisible text (where the word "format" must be).

>> That DOESN'T make it look very reliable.
>
>Then use NTFS.

Makes no sense here. My comment was on the reliability of that
article.

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
for granted." -- Bertrand Russell

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:46:40 -0700, "JAD"
<hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote:

>don't post somebody's opinion site
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;93496

Under "Windows 2000", it lists 2 lines for "FAT" (which seems to be
referring to FAT32, so why the seperate lines here? Perhaps MS does
know right here, but messes up anyway.)

It's also 2^32 SECTORS (512-byte units). The limit for bytes is 2^41.

I KNOW the 32GB limit does not exist. I had a 250GB FAT32 drive
installed (it's now NTFS because of the file size limit).

There used to be a 32GB limit imposed by HARDWARE, not the OS. Also,
it doesn't apply to modern systems. The same is true about the 128GB
limit.

What I don't KNOW, is the limit for FAT32 SYSTEM drives. People keep
ignoring that word.

The stated file size limits are being imposed by the OS, not by the
file system.

>"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> Gary wrote:

>larger

>read

>FAT32
>> >

>> > OK. I had not had experience with this, but read a MS article. That's
>> > why I said "SUPPOSED to not allow" rather than "does not allow".
>> >
>> > It looks like some parts of MS don't know what the other parts are
>> > doing. Such inconsistancies are to be expected in a big corporation.
>> >

>> Well, Microsoft doesn't make it as clear all in one swoop as I presented
>> it. You have to survey a couple of their articles to put it all together.
>>
>> At any rate, here's a site with the procedure laid out.
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_on_large_fat32_partitions.htm
>>
>> (The title says XP but it applies to Windows 2000 too, as they explain in
>> the article)

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
for granted." -- Bertrand Russell

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

wrote:

> No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT
> the dern thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with
> something else and then install to the partition you made.

Windows 2000 formats my 120 GB drives without any problems,
even at installation process. The limit is 137 GB.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:58:08 +0200, Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:29:47 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
>wrote:
>
>> No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT
>> the dern thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with
>> something else and then install to the partition you made.
>
>Windows 2000 formats my 120 GB drives without any problems,
>even at installation process. The limit is 137 GB.

There IS a 137GB (actually 128GB, 137 comes from using 1000 instead of
1024) limit. It's in the HD hardware. More recent systems have a
higher limit (and should be able to handle up to 128 EB (1024*128 TB,
or 1024*1024*128 GB). Drives aren't nearly that big yet, but 400GB
drives do exist (I have a 250GB).

http://www.48bitlba.com/

Gary H wrote in news:nta6l0p8200qkecls261fnoh761ncehspg@4ax.com:

> Are you sure you checked that?

Yes. Windows 2000 can use any size FAT32 drive, it just won't format one
that large.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:39:36 +0000, Jim Berwick <jimb@snip.net> wrote:

>Gary H wrote in news:nta6l0p8200qkecls261fnoh761ncehspg@4ax.com:
>
>> Are you sure you checked that?
>
>Yes. Windows 2000 can use any size FAT32 drive, it just won't format one
>that large.

Did you mean to leave out the word "system"? Words do have meanings,
and what I said referred to a system drive (one that the OS is booted
from) NOT a data drive. I already know that w2k can support data
drives larger than FAT32. I had a 250GB/FAT32 data drive a few months
ago when people were saying it was impossible (and MS didn't say
THAT).

I was going to try that, but ran into some uncooperative hardware.
Maybe tomorrow.

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to
hang a question mark on the things you have long taken
for granted." -- Bertrand Russell

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows2000 (More info?)

Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in news:9r28l097cvvbd9sjuv300jc79i3f2h6dpm@
4ax.com:

> Windows 2000 formats my 120 GB drives without any problems,
> even at installation process. The limit is 137 GB.

Windows 2000 will not format a 32+ Gig drive with a FAT32 filesystem. It
will only format things that large as NTFS, which is the point of this part
of the discussion.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:40:40 +0000, Jim Berwick <jimb@snip.net> wrote:

>Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in news:9r28l097cvvbd9sjuv300jc79i3f2h6dpm@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Windows 2000 formats my 120 GB drives without any problems,
>> even at installation process. The limit is 137 GB.
>
>Windows 2000 will not format a 32+ Gig drive with a FAT32 filesystem. It
>will only format things that large as NTFS, which is the point of this part
>of the discussion.

The problem was that, the article I objected to leaves out the word
"format" and claims that w2k is limited to 32GB FAT32 drives. THAT
claim is not true, as the article later contradicts itself.

Ken wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:29:47 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT
>>the dern thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with
>>something else and then install to the partition you made.
>

> Windows 2000 formats my 120 GB drives without any problems,
> even at installation process. The limit is 137 GB.

We're talking about a FAT32 partition, not NTFS.

Gary wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:29:47 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Gary wrote:

>>>For some reason, that article says there's a limit of 32GB, then
>>>contradicts itself.
>>
>>No it doesn't. The limit is that Windows 2000/XP won't FORMAT the dern
>>thing larger than 32 gig so you format it with something else and then
>>install to the partition you made.
>>

> Here is the entire quote of the paragraph that says there's a limit: "
> Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003 support FAT32 partitions
> (Windows NT 4.0 did not) but there is a maximum size limit of 32GB."
>
> Sorry, I don't read invisible text (where the word "format" must be).

You're quibbling with semantics. It also says "Windows 2000, XP and Windows
Server 2003 can use larger than 32GB partitions..." and gives you the
procedure for how to make one and then install to it.

I thought the idea was to figure out how to use a FAT32 partition larger
than 32GB; not to hold an English class on the web page's construction.

JAD wrote:

> don't post somebody's opinion site
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;93496

And what 'interpretation' do you derive from that?