Boot Screens No Longer Come Up

Bruce

Hi,

I've contacted Dell about this, but no luck...

I've got a 3-month old Dell Inspiron 8600 Wide Screen laptop running XP
Home, SP1. It has an nVidia FX GeForce 5200 card.

A week or so ago, two of the screens that normally appear during boot up
stopped appearing.

Normally, I'd get the Dell boot screen with the Dell logo and press F2 or
F12, etc, followed by the Windows XP Home Edition screen, followed by
Welcome, with Windows loading.

The Dell boot screen and the Windows XP Home Edition screen stopped
appearing. During the time that they should appear, I'd get 25 seconds
of black, after which Windows loaded up nicely.

I susptected the two missing screens were loading, but for some reason,
not displaying. I ported the video signal from the laptop to a crt, and
lo and behold, the Dell boot and Windows XP Home Edition screens loaded
as they should. This fact is what's really got me stumped. Signal is
being output, but not to Dell LCD, only to crt.

But, for some reason, they won’t appear on the Dell laptops’s screen.

Any ideas?

lilkaden

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I believe I know what is wrong, but I may not be right.
I've looked around online because that is the same problem now that my friend has with his same laptop.
The LCD inverter maybe or already has gone bad. Once I get the money to replace it, I'll be following this nice little tutorial I found online to replace it
http://www.hk3d.com/temp/InverterReplacement.pdf
My only problem is now I have to replace his keyboard and possibly his HDD along with the inverter...Woo..