Best Sub $100 Motherboard

I am building a machine for my brother mostly for internet surfing,
some word processing, no gaming, no heavy duty graphics.

I am seeking the most dependable, FAST motherboard with proven specs
for under $100.

I do not want the latest greatest experimental, I just want something
trouble free and FAST. I am thinking Intel 2.4 GH CPU, onboard sound,
sub $99 vid card, Win 2000 Professional, 512 mb memory, 80 gb HD,
ethernet, possibly wifi, firewire would be nice.

Are there things to look for and to avoid? For instance, I know some
memory works faster for the buck. I have an 8 year old machine with a
state of the art (for the time) ASUS motherboard that until a few
years ago had taken me through all sorts of light and heavy duty tasks
without trouble. Any dependable companies out there now? Any
companies to avoid? Any chipsets, component manufacturers to avoid?

a link to a good website that lays these issues out would be
sufficient. I just need some direction without having to read an
encyclopedia worth of text.

need cheap speed and dependability.

Thanks,
Brightstar65
16 answers Last reply
More about best motherboard

    Since you said "no gaming", I would suggest a mini-ATX motherboard with
    on-graphics and sound. A Biostar M7NCG with an AMD 2800+ (333MHz) is 148.50
    at MWave. That, coupled with 512 MB of quality memory (2X256MB for dual
    channel capability) gets you a fast, reliable and inexpensive machine.

    I'm running two of these (with the AMD 2500+) for my kids (including a 5 yr
    old- how's that for a test of reliability). I haven't had a moments problem
    with either. A mini-ATX board will fit in a standard ATX case. There is a
    AGP slot available if you want to upgrade the graphics - though the GeForce
    4 MMX runs mild games like "The Simms" just fine. The major difference with
    the miniATX is you get 3 PCI slots instead of 5. Add your 30 dollar firewire
    card and you still have two left.

    Ethernet is also onboard. Crucial makes dependable memory at a reasonable
    price.

    Good Luck,
    Fitz

    BrightStar wrote:

    > I am building a machine for my brother mostly for internet surfing,
    > some word processing, no gaming, no heavy duty graphics.

    > I am seeking the most dependable, FAST motherboard with proven specs
    > for under $100.

    In that case you should get an Athlon XP processor. You can get an Athlon
    XP3000+ for around $95, and a decent motherboard for it for around
    $60.Great bang for the buck. An Athlon XP3000+ beats a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz
    at Business Winstone 2004.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6

    > I do not want the latest greatest experimental, I just want something
    > trouble free and FAST. I am thinking Intel 2.4 GH CPU, onboard sound,
    > sub $99 vid card, Win 2000 Professional, 512 mb memory, 80 gb HD,
    > ethernet, possibly wifi, firewire would be nice.
    >
    > Are there things to look for and to avoid?

    Since you want great value, you should use an AMD processor.

    > For instance, I know some
    > memory works faster for the buck. I have an 8 year old machine with a
    > state of the art (for the time) ASUS motherboard that until a few
    > years ago had taken me through all sorts of light and heavy duty tasks
    > without trouble. Any dependable companies out there now? Any
    > companies to avoid? Any chipsets, component manufacturers to avoid?
    >
    > a link to a good website that lays these issues out would be
    > sufficient. I just need some direction without having to read an
    > encyclopedia worth of text.
    >
    > need cheap speed and dependability.

    It sounds like you need an AMD system.

    > Thanks,
    > Brightstar65

    WILL you STFU ALREADY YOU FREAKING SALESMAN he said dependable and
    fast not just fast

    JAD wrote:

    > WILL you STFU ALREADY YOU FREAKING SALESMAN he said dependable and
    > fast not just fast

    An Athlon XP system will be dependable when it uses a good motherboard,
    good ram, and a good power supply. One can get an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
    for around $60.

    > "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > BrightStar wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am building a machine for my brother mostly for internet
    > surfing,
    > > > some word processing, no gaming, no heavy duty graphics.
    > >

    > > > I am seeking the most dependable, FAST motherboard with proven
    > specs
    > > > for under $100.
    > >
    > > In that case you should get an Athlon XP processor. You can get an
    > Athlon
    > > XP3000+ for around $95, and a decent motherboard for it for around
    > > $60.Great bang for the buck. An Athlon XP3000+ beats a Pentium 4 3.2
    > ghz
    > > at Business Winstone 2004.
    > >
    > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=6
    > >

    > > > I do not want the latest greatest experimental, I just want
    > something
    > > > trouble free and FAST. I am thinking Intel 2.4 GH CPU, onboard
    > sound,
    > > > sub $99 vid card, Win 2000 Professional, 512 mb memory, 80 gb HD,
    > > > ethernet, possibly wifi, firewire would be nice.
    > > >
    > > > Are there things to look for and to avoid?
    > >
    > > Since you want great value, you should use an AMD processor.
    > >
    > > > For instance, I know some
    > > > memory works faster for the buck. I have an 8 year old machine
    > with a
    > > > state of the art (for the time) ASUS motherboard that until a few
    > > > years ago had taken me through all sorts of light and heavy duty
    > tasks
    > > > without trouble. Any dependable companies out there now? Any
    > > > companies to avoid? Any chipsets, component manufacturers to
    > avoid?
    > > >
    > > > a link to a good website that lays these issues out would be
    > > > sufficient. I just need some direction without having to read an
    > > > encyclopedia worth of text.
    > > >
    > > > need cheap speed and dependability.
    > >
    > > It sounds like you need an AMD system.
    > >

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Brightstar65

    www.mwave.com
    Click "Catalog" then highlight "Motherboards", select Motherboard and CPU
    bundles from the dropdown box and then select Biostar - scroll down. The
    M7NCG will be listed, with the 3200+ as the default processor. Change the
    processor to a 2800+ (I chose it because it is the price jump point), and
    select "Buy"...it will give you the total of 148.50.

    >www.mwave.com
    >Click "Catalog" then highlight "Motherboards", select Motherboard and CPU
    >bundles from the dropdown box and then select Biostar - scroll down. The
    >M7NCG will be listed, with the 3200+ as the default processor. Change the
    >processor to a 2800+ (I chose it because it is the price jump point), and
    >select "Buy"...it will give you the total of 148.50.

    $68 shipped BIOSTAR "M7NCG 400" :
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&depa=0

    $87 shipped 2400+ mobile:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-439&depa=0

    Those are an unreal combination. Run 3400+ right out of the box. Very
    stable/cool.

    ------------
    When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

    "BrightStar" <brightstar65@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am building a machine for my brother mostly for internet surfing,
    > some word processing, no gaming, no heavy duty graphics.
    >
    > I am seeking the most dependable, FAST motherboard with proven specs
    > for under $100.
    >
    > I do not want the latest greatest experimental, I just want something
    > trouble free and FAST. I am thinking Intel 2.4 GH CPU, onboard sound,
    > sub $99 vid card, Win 2000 Professional, 512 mb memory, 80 gb HD,
    > ethernet, possibly wifi, firewire would be nice.

    Holy cheeerist, I think this is the longest thread I've seen where nobody
    has bothered to even READ the OP.

    Try an AOpen AX4C Max (not the MAX II, which is twice as much). Should be
    about $75, and you won't get better quality at any price. -Dave

    http://usa.aopen.com/Products/MB/AX4CMax.htm

    On 23 Sep 2004 19:32:38 -0700, brightstar65@yahoo.com (BrightStar)
    wrote:

    ---- trim

    >Are there things to look for and to avoid? For instance, I know some
    >memory works faster for the buck. I have an 8 year old machine with a
    >state of the art (for the time) ASUS motherboard that until a few
    >years ago had taken me through all sorts of light and heavy duty tasks
    >without trouble. Any dependable companies out there now? Any
    >companies to avoid? Any chipsets, component manufacturers to avoid?
    >
    >a link to a good website that lays these issues out would be
    >sufficient. I just need some direction without having to read an
    >encyclopedia worth of text.
    >
    >need cheap speed and dependability.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Brightstar65

    The BIOS is what really makes the difference between motherboards.
    Unfortunately there are so many MB's and tests don't tell you how much
    the BIOS allows you to optimize the speed of the chipset. It isn't the
    BIOS brand - AMI, Award or Phoenix, it's the detain the MB maker puts
    into the BIOS. You have to pretty much go by word of mouth and
    manufacturer's reputation.

    Otherwise I have found the SIS chipsets to be less compatible than
    VIA. Then it's just a matter of the bus speed of the chipset and
    number of ports on the board. Look for 8+ USB ports.

    BrightStar wrote:

    > I am building a machine for my brother mostly for internet surfing,
    > some word processing, no gaming, no heavy duty graphics.

    What do you have now? Why isn't it giving you what you want. It doesn't
    take a lot of power to surf the internet and do word processing.

    > I am seeking the most dependable, FAST motherboard with proven specs
    > for under $100.

    That leaves about a hundred motherboards in the running...

    > I do not want the latest greatest experimental, I just want something
    > trouble free and FAST. I am thinking Intel 2.4 GH CPU, onboard sound,
    > sub $99 vid card, Win 2000 Professional, 512 mb memory, 80 gb HD,
    > ethernet, possibly wifi, firewire would be nice.

    Probably the best motherboard I can think of to meet those specs is the
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, but it's $114 @ www.zipzoomfly.com. If you can
    spare the extra $14, you're there. This board is one of the all-time
    great power/performance/stability/feature boards for the price on the
    Intel side. I bought one for my brother last Christmas and it's just an
    absolute great buy. It's the only one close to your price range that
    I'll recommend, since the others I have no experience with.

    > Are there things to look for and to avoid? For instance, I know some
    > memory works faster for the buck. I have an 8 year old machine with a
    > state of the art (for the time) ASUS motherboard that until a few
    > years ago had taken me through all sorts of light and heavy duty tasks
    > without trouble. Any dependable companies out there now? Any
    > companies to avoid? Any chipsets, component manufacturers to avoid?

    Asus is still as rock-solid as ever. MSI is a good company, too. I run a
    Gigabyte motherboard and am happy with it. My other computer has a Soyo
    motherboard, and I haven't had it long enough to truely evaluate it. It
    seems pretty good, and is my first forray into the AMD side.

    > a link to a good website that lays these issues out would be
    > sufficient. I just need some direction without having to read an
    > encyclopedia worth of text.
    >
    > need cheap speed and dependability.

    Sometimes, spending just a couple of extra bucks is more than worth it...

    JK wrote:

    > An Athlon XP system will be dependable when it uses a good motherboard,
    > good ram, and a good power supply. One can get an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
    > for around $60.

    I completely agree. I'm just starting to build AMD systems, and I built
    a really fast system with 512MB of DDR400 memory, Athlon XP 2800+,
    Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD, and scavenged the DVD, CD-R/RW, Zip250, and
    GeForce FX5200 card from my old system for about $400. That was a steal
    for a nice fast machine.

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:56:55 -0400 Humanity I love.It's just people
    who piss me off ;-) JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote :

    >JAD wrote:
    >
    >> WILL you STFU ALREADY YOU FREAKING SALESMAN he said dependable and
    >> fast not just fast
    >
    >An Athlon XP system will be dependable when it uses a good motherboard,
    >good ram, and a good power supply. One can get an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
    >for around $60.

    There has not been any,"Dependability" issues between AMD and Intel
    CPUs since both their inceptions.Remove this from the equation and
    move on.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    Matt wrote:

    >> I completely agree. I'm just starting to build AMD systems, and I
    >> built a really fast system with 512MB of DDR400 memory, Athlon XP
    >> 2800+, Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD, and scavenged the DVD, CD-R/RW, Zip250,
    >> and GeForce FX5200 card from my old system for about $400. That was a
    >> steal for a nice fast machine.
    >>

    > Hmmm ... wonder why you didn't get an Athlon 64. And you are a SuSE
    > guy---you could have tried the 64-bit system? Maybe it's not stable
    > yet? 64-bit is promoted pretty stongly on their website ...

    No, it's not the stability part, but the availability of stuff for it.
    Many apps are still 32 bit like FlashPlayer. I'm waiting for a little
    while until it matures a little bit more. Besides, I don't think I could
    have gotten by quite so cheap with 64 bit.

    I'm waiting until the dual core Socket 939 boards and processors come
    out, and get affordable enough and my XP machine will go that route. By
    then, XP-64 should be released. Since it's my gaming machine, I'm
    willing to spend more on it. Linux does my other tasks, so it doesn't
    need such cutting edge hardware anyway. That XP machine actually rocks
    in Linux!

    BTW, I've recently switched to Mandrake, though I'm having some troubles
    with the lack of support nVidia has for the KT600 chipset and Mandrake
    doesn't like me to switch to the OSS driver, as it switches it back to
    the nVidia driver for me. The nVidia problem plagues both SuSE and
    Mandrake. I'm working on a solution (it's part of the joy of running
    Linux). I would really like to see better OEM support for Linux...
    Anyway, Mandrake runs faster, but overall, I like SuSE better. I may
    switch back in the near future, after SuSE 9.2 is released. Maybe, I'll
    just install them both.

    Shep© wrote:

    > There has not been any,"Dependability" issues between AMD and Intel
    > CPUs since both their inceptions.Remove this from the equation and
    > move on.

    Not in the CPU's but the chipsets. Via chipsets had an awful problem
    with onboard sound just a couple of years ago. I think most of that has
    been solved, but who knows?

    Other than that, you're right. All my future systems will be AMD.

    Matt wrote:

    > Ruel Smith wrote:
    > > JK wrote:
    > >
    > >> An Athlon XP system will be dependable when it uses a good motherboard,
    > >> good ram, and a good power supply. One can get an Asus A7N8X-X
    > >> motherboard
    > >> for around $60.
    > >

    > > I completely agree. I'm just starting to build AMD systems, and I built
    > > a really fast system with 512MB of DDR400 memory, Athlon XP 2800+,
    > > Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD, and scavenged the DVD, CD-R/RW, Zip250, and
    > > GeForce FX5200 card from my old system for about $400. That was a steal
    > > for a nice fast machine.
    > >

    > Hmmm ... wonder why you didn't get an Athlon 64. And you are a SuSE
    > guy---you could have tried the 64-bit system? Maybe it's not stable
    > yet? 64-bit is promoted pretty stongly on their website ...

    An Athlon 64 is good for those who run games, Photoshop, CAD, or
    other demanding applications. For those who only run business
    software or who are on a very tight budget, an Athlon XP is good.
    An Athlon XP2800+ at around $75 is a good value. An Athlon 64 2800+
    is around $140, and a motherboard for it is around $25 more than one for
    an Athlon XP.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Matt wrote:
    > Ruel Smith wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, I've recently switched to Mandrake, though I'm having some
    >> troubles with the lack of support nVidia has for the KT600 chipset and
    >> Mandrake doesn't like me to switch to the OSS driver, as it switches
    >> it back to the nVidia driver for me. The nVidia problem plagues both
    >> SuSE and Mandrake.
    >

    > I don't see what nVidia has or should have to do with KT600. I'm
    > running the Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition ($15 AR) with an
    > nVidia FX5200 AGP card, nvidia OpenGL driver, and Fedora Core 2.
    > Everything works great, with easy setup, except that the onboard sound
    > was choppy, so I dropped in a separate sound card.

    Nvidia uses the NVAGP kernel module that has no support for the KT600
    chipset when you install their driver. They recommend that you use the
    AGPGART kernel module, instead. This is the only conclusion I've come to
    , and I'm going to attempt to build my own kernel for the first time and
    set it up that way and find out. I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

    This is from the nVidia ReadMe:

    The following AGP chipsets are supported by NVIDIA's AGP; for all other
    chipsets it is recommended that you use the AGPGART module.

    <snip>

    o AMD 8151 ("Lokar")
    o VIA 8371
    o VIA 82C694X
    o VIA KT133
    o VIA KT266
    o VIA KT400
    o VIA P4M266
    o VIA P4M266A
    o VIA P4X400
    o RCC CNB20LE

    <snip>
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Matt wrote:
    > Ruel Smith wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, I've recently switched to Mandrake, though I'm having some
    >> troubles with the lack of support nVidia has for the KT600 chipset and
    >> Mandrake doesn't like me to switch to the OSS driver, as it switches
    >> it back to the nVidia driver for me. The nVidia problem plagues both
    >> SuSE and Mandrake.
    >

    > I don't see what nVidia has or should have to do with KT600. I'm
    > running the Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition ($15 AR) with an
    > nVidia FX5200 AGP card, nvidia OpenGL driver, and Fedora Core 2.
    > Everything works great, with easy setup, except that the onboard sound
    > was choppy, so I dropped in a separate sound card.

    I also wanted to add that I experienced the same choppy sound in SuSE,
    but in Mandrake the sound was perfect. It could be how our two different
    distros setup their kernels.

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems