Wireless XP SP2 to W98SE

A few months ago I had the subject computers networked together via a
crossover cable. I am now attempting to network them together via a Linksys
WRT54G. The XP (Home Edition) is wired to the WRT54G and the W98SE is the
wireless connection. Both computers work independently on the internet.
Sharedocs works okay and the XP can use the printer on the W98 but not
vice-versa. However, I cannot share any folders between the computers that
I have enabled for sharing. "My Network Places" only shows it own home
computer and nothing else under MSHOME (on both computers). Neither
computer recognizes the existence of the other. I have gone through the XP
setup for a wireless network and ran Network Setup Wizard. My passwords are
common and in CAPs between the computers. I shutdown the firewalls on the
WRT54G and XP LAN as well as powering down the WRT54G for a total reset but
there was no change in anything. Network TCP/IP etc looks good. I'm sure
that I have done more than I can remember right now including reading
newsgroups. Where do I go from here?

Each machine has its own distinct name in the workgroup? As in:
WORKGROUP NAME: My Office
Computer 1: Base
Computer 2: Mobile

This is the only thing I can think of at the moment. Networking is supposed
to incredibly easy, if you believe all the hype and advertising. Just turn
your PC's on and you're networked! Right.

www.homenethelp.com

www.practicallynetworked.com

Try the above links for more information. As if you, and the rest of us,
weren't confused enough as it is.

In article <OJ2g7wPgFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
<vinboyd@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>A few months ago I had the subject computers networked together via a
>crossover cable. I am now attempting to network them together via a Linksys
>WRT54G. The XP (Home Edition) is wired to the WRT54G and the W98SE is the
>wireless connection. Both computers work independently on the internet.
>Sharedocs works okay and the XP can use the printer on the W98 but not
>vice-versa. However, I cannot share any folders between the computers that
>I have enabled for sharing. "My Network Places" only shows it own home
>computer and nothing else under MSHOME (on both computers). Neither
>computer recognizes the existence of the other. I have gone through the XP
>setup for a wireless network and ran Network Setup Wizard. My passwords are
>common and in CAPs between the computers. I shutdown the firewalls on the
>WRT54G and XP LAN as well as powering down the WRT54G for a total reset but
>there was no change in anything. Network TCP/IP etc looks good. I'm sure
>that I have done more than I can remember right now including reading
>newsgroups. Where do I go from here?

It can take up to 15 minutes after a computer starts up before network
browsing works. Even after that, network browsing is often
unreliable.

Try to access the other computer by typing the other computer's name
in the Start | Run box preceded by two backslash characters:

\\computer
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <OJ2g7wPgFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> <vinboyd@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>A few months ago I had the subject computers networked together via a
>>crossover cable. I am now attempting to network them together via a
>>Linksys
>>WRT54G. The XP (Home Edition) is wired to the WRT54G and the W98SE is the
>>wireless connection. Both computers work independently on the internet.
>>Sharedocs works okay and the XP can use the printer on the W98 but not
>>vice-versa. However, I cannot share any folders between the computers
>>that
>>I have enabled for sharing. "My Network Places" only shows it own home
>>computer and nothing else under MSHOME (on both computers). Neither
>>computer recognizes the existence of the other. I have gone through the
>>XP
>>setup for a wireless network and ran Network Setup Wizard. My passwords
>>are
>>common and in CAPs between the computers. I shutdown the firewalls on the
>>WRT54G and XP LAN as well as powering down the WRT54G for a total reset
>>but
>>there was no change in anything. Network TCP/IP etc looks good. I'm sure
>>that I have done more than I can remember right now including reading
>>newsgroups. Where do I go from here?
>
> It can take up to 15 minutes after a computer starts up before network
> browsing works. Even after that, network browsing is often
> unreliable.
>
> Try to access the other computer by typing the other computer's name
> in the Start | Run box preceded by two backslash characters:
>
> \\computer
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
For Kevin. - The computer names are unique and the workgroup names are
common.
For Steve. - Yesterday and today I tried the \\computer\folder resulting in
"no network". I fought the router for several hours completely losing the
internet and everything else such as shareddocs and printer that I had
previously. I was hoping that I could resolve the XP Wireless Network setup
that only works other XPs and is not compatible with W98. It is WEP issue
for security. When I gave up I back tracked to recover what I once had and
I found that I had gained access to the W98 from the XP. I have no idea
why! However, when I attempt to gain access to the XP from the W98 I get
"Enter Network Password". I though that I had resolved that issue when I
made the logon passwords the same for both computers. I have two questions.
1) How did I get where I at?? and 2) What do I have to do to resolve the
"Enter Network Password" problem.

In article <#WAF0XdgFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
<vinboyd@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>>A few months ago I had the subject computers networked together via a
>>>crossover cable. I am now attempting to network them together via a Linksys
>>>WRT54G. The XP (Home Edition) is wired to the WRT54G and the W98SE is the
>>>wireless connection. Both computers work independently on the internet.
>>>Sharedocs works okay and the XP can use the printer on the W98 but not
>>>vice-versa. However, I cannot share any folders between the computers that
>>>I have enabled for sharing. "My Network Places" only shows it own home
>>>computer and nothing else under MSHOME (on both computers). Neither
>>>computer recognizes the existence of the other. I have gone through the XP
>>>setup for a wireless network and ran Network Setup Wizard. My passwords are
>>>common and in CAPs between the computers. I shutdown the firewalls on the
>>>WRT54G and XP LAN as well as powering down the WRT54G for a total reset but
>>>there was no change in anything. Network TCP/IP etc looks good. I'm sure
>>>that I have done more than I can remember right now including reading
>>>newsgroups. Where do I go from here?
>>
>>It can take up to 15 minutes after a computer starts up before network
>>browsing works. Even after that, network browsing is often
>>unreliable.
>>
>>Try to access the other computer by typing the other computer's name
>>in the Start | Run box preceded by two backslash characters:
>>
>> \\computer
>
>For Kevin. - The computer names are unique and the workgroup names are
>common.
>For Steve. - Yesterday and today I tried the \\computer\folder resulting in
>"no network". I fought the router for several hours completely losing the
>internet and everything else such as shareddocs and printer that I had
>previously. I was hoping that I could resolve the XP Wireless Network setup
>that only works other XPs and is not compatible with W98. It is WEP issue
>for security. When I gave up I back tracked to recover what I once had and
>I found that I had gained access to the W98 from the XP. I have no idea
>why! However, when I attempt to gain access to the XP from the W98 I get
>"Enter Network Password". I though that I had resolved that issue when I
>made the logon passwords the same for both computers. I have two questions.

Enable the firewall on your router!

Windows XP allows networked access by all users. There should be no
need to use matching user names or passwords on both computers.

>1) How did I get where I at??

I'm glad that you got there but, I'm sorry to say, I can't tell you
how you did it. Make a Windows XP restore point so that you can get
back to it in the future.

>and 2) What do I have to do to resolve the
>"Enter Network Password" problem.

Run the Network Setup Wizard on XP (and only on XP, even if it tells
you to run it on the other computer). If it detects the Linksys
router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that connection.
Otherwise, tell it that the computer connects to the Internet through
a residential gateway (the router).

If you've explicitly defined a network password for XP's Guest
account, enter that password at the prompt on W98.

To remove a network password from XP's Guest account:

1. Click Start | Run.
2. Type "control userpasswords2" in the box and click OK:
3. Click Guest.
4. Click Reset Password.
5. Click OK without entering a new password.