Linksys Wireless Card Issue

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
July 5, 2005 12:06:53 AM

I just got a Linksys WPC54GS wireless card for my Win XP Pro notebook.
The router is a one-year old Linksys WRT54G. The new card works great,
except when I go to My Network Places and try to share files with other
(wired) computers on my home network. I can usually share files with my
Win 95a desktop and a Win 98 desktop. Only once have I been able to
access files on my Win XP Pro desktop. I cannot access files on my notebook
from any of the other computers. The router is set to Mixed, since I have a
WiFi wireless 802.11.b PDA. WEP is not currently enabled. I have no problem
accessing the internet. Speeds are from 2.3 mb to 2.8 mb on a Charter Pipeline
cable modem. The error message I get when clicking on a network drive is:
"\\XPhome\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resours. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access
permissions. The network path was not found". When I put my old SMC wireless
card back, I can access files on all my home computers with no problem.

Is there something not set right on the WPC54GS card?

Thanks!
Scott

More about : linksys wireless card issue

July 6, 2005 4:05:15 AM

Problem solved! It turns out that under Zone Alarm's-- Security / Advanced
tab, I neglected to put a checkmark in the box next to "Linksys Wireless G
Notebook Adapter" to allow the wireless card to pass through the firewall.
I feel rather dumb...but relieved that the solution was that simple.

Scott

Scott wrote:

> I just got a Linksys WPC54GS wireless card for my Win XP Pro notebook.
> The router is a one-year old Linksys WRT54G. The new card works great,
> except when I go to My Network Places and try to share files with other
> (wired) computers on my home network. I can usually share files with my
> Win 95a desktop and a Win 98 desktop. Only once have I been able to
> access files on my Win XP Pro desktop. I cannot access files on my notebook
> from any of the other computers. The router is set to Mixed, since I have a
> WiFi wireless 802.11.b PDA. WEP is not currently enabled. I have no problem
> accessing the internet. Speeds are from 2.3 mb to 2.8 mb on a Charter Pipeline
> cable modem. The error message I get when clicking on a network drive is:
> "\\XPhome\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resours. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access
> permissions. The network path was not found". When I put my old SMC wireless
> card back, I can access files on all my home computers with no problem.
>
> Is there something not set right on the WPC54GS card?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 6, 2005 9:56:34 PM

Many problems are like that. The really dumb ones keep looking
after they solve the problem because "that was too simple" ;-)

mikey

!