Abit Memory Problem

I purchased an additional 256 MB of RAM for my Abit KX7-333 motherboard (I
already had 512 MB of RAM installed). The problem is I cannot get the system
to recognize the additional 256 MB of RAM. Both sticks are DDR333 PC2700,
but are manufactered by different companies (512 MB - Samsung, 256 MB -
Kingmax). Can anyone tell me why I can't get the system to recognize all
768 MBs?

"John H." <JohnH@reply-to-group.thanks> wrote in message
> I purchased an additional 256 MB of RAM for my Abit KX7-333 motherboard (I
> already had 512 MB of RAM installed). The problem is I cannot get the
system
> to recognize the additional 256 MB of RAM. Both sticks are DDR333 PC2700,
> but are manufactered by different companies (512 MB - Samsung, 256 MB -
> Kingmax). Can anyone tell me why I can't get the system to recognize all
> 768 MBs?

Defective memory stick? Try swapping memory slots. If it still only sees
the Samsung board, then return the Kingmax board as defective. -Dave

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

"John H." <JohnH@reply-to-group.thanks> wrote in message
>I purchased an additional 256 MB of RAM for my Abit KX7-333 motherboard (I
>already had 512 MB of RAM installed). The problem is I cannot get the
>system to recognize the additional 256 MB of RAM. Both sticks are DDR333
>PC2700, but are manufactered by different companies (512 MB - Samsung, 256
>MB - Kingmax). Can anyone tell me why I can't get the system to recognize
>all 768 MBs?

are you running 98/98SE if so then its not always possible to get more than
512 to run "stable"

do a Google search for the answers and settings that require changing to
"attempt" the installation.

I tried on numerous occasions to get my 98SE system to run with 1
gig.....the manuals said it should but my system would only recognise 756
max and that was unstable.

I have now advanced to XP and 1 gig is no problem.

toy

Strange thing is that each stick works fine individually, but not together.
I haven't tried putting the 256 MB in the first slot and the 512 in the
second, so I'll do that next.