Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Installing Xbox harddrive on PC?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Windows XP
  • Hard Drives
  • Xbox
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2004 4:55:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I put a larger harddrive in our Xbox and then tried to put the Xbox
harddrive in an old win98se computer here but only the bios recognizes
it. Windows does not. I even tried to install it in our new computer
that has XP on it and again only the bios recognizes it while XP will
freeze before the desktop. When I first started up XP, it started the
scan saying clusters didn't match but after about 4 hours I stopped it.
Thought I could just format it to fix. I guess that is where I screwed
up since it hasn't even attempted to fix it again. Partition magic and
dos do not see it either. Seaquest tools sees it and says it is fine but
the part where it says check file system, or something like that, was
greyed out.

Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?

More about : installing xbox harddrive

September 26, 2004 4:55:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hey this square peg won't fit into this round hole


"Paul M" <urrout@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4156F473.BF4ADDF5@hotmail.com...
> I put a larger harddrive in our Xbox and then tried to put the Xbox
> harddrive in an old win98se computer here but only the bios
recognizes
> it. Windows does not. I even tried to install it in our new computer
> that has XP on it and again only the bios recognizes it while XP
will
> freeze before the desktop. When I first started up XP, it started
the
> scan saying clusters didn't match but after about 4 hours I stopped
it.
> Thought I could just format it to fix. I guess that is where I
screwed
> up since it hasn't even attempted to fix it again. Partition magic
and
> dos do not see it either. Seaquest tools sees it and says it is fine
but
> the part where it says check file system, or something like that,
was
> greyed out.
>
> Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>
September 26, 2004 10:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Paul M" <urrout@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4156F473.BF4ADDF5@hotmail.com...
>I put a larger harddrive in our Xbox and then tried to put the Xbox
> harddrive in an old win98se computer here but only the bios recognizes
> it. Windows does not. I even tried to install it in our new computer
> that has XP on it and again only the bios recognizes it while XP will
> freeze before the desktop. When I first started up XP, it started the
> scan saying clusters didn't match but after about 4 hours I stopped
> it.
> Thought I could just format it to fix. I guess that is where I screwed
> up since it hasn't even attempted to fix it again. Partition magic and
> dos do not see it either. Seaquest tools sees it and says it is fine
> but
> the part where it says check file system, or something like that, was
> greyed out.
>
> Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>

When you got into windows did you look at admin tools - disk management
and initialise the disk and format it, if it wants to scan the xbox
drive as windows is loading just cancel the scan.

IIRC they are in a completely different format, look at the drive to
find manufacturer, get a dos utility from the manufacturers site and
format it that way, may work.

HTH

--
Apollo
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2004 10:52:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Paul M wrote:

> I put a larger harddrive in our Xbox and then tried to put the Xbox
> harddrive in an old win98se computer here but only the bios recognizes
> it. Windows does not. I even tried to install it in our new computer
> that has XP on it and again only the bios recognizes it while XP will
> freeze before the desktop. When I first started up XP, it started the
> scan saying clusters didn't match but after about 4 hours I stopped it.
> Thought I could just format it to fix. I guess that is where I screwed
> up since it hasn't even attempted to fix it again. Partition magic and
> dos do not see it either. Seaquest tools sees it and says it is fine but
> the part where it says check file system, or something like that, was
> greyed out.
>
> Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>

Remove all existing partitions and start from scratch.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 6:25:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Paul M wrote:
> I put a larger harddrive in our Xbox and then tried to put the Xbox
> harddrive in an old win98se computer here but only the bios recognizes
> it. Windows does not.

That's because windows98se will not recognise the xbox file system.

> I even tried to install it in our new computer
> that has XP on it and again only the bios recognizes it while XP will
> freeze before the desktop. When I first started up XP, it started the
> scan saying clusters didn't match but after about 4 hours I stopped it.

You need to remove the existing partitions and create a new partition
table that windows can use.

> Thought I could just format it to fix. I guess that is where I screwed
> up since it hasn't even attempted to fix it again. Partition magic and
> dos do not see it either. Seaquest tools sees it and says it is fine but
> the part where it says check file system, or something like that, was
> greyed out.
>
> Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>

A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites the
first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
repartition it.


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
September 27, 2004 3:21:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
news:10le09domh19f55@corp.supernews.com...
> Hey this square peg won't fit into this round hole
>
>

Nothing like that at all!

It's a standard hard drive but it is locked!

You need to put it back into the xbox and unlock it with downloaded
software. Try www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

Scott
September 27, 2004 3:21:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<Nothing like that at all>

does it work without modifying it? exactly like that........

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:cj8t30$49r$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
>
> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> news:10le09domh19f55@corp.supernews.com...
> > Hey this square peg won't fit into this round hole
> >
> >
>
> !
>
> It's a standard hard drive but it is locked!
>
> You need to put it back into the xbox and unlock it with downloaded
> software. Try www.xbox-scene.com for more info.
>
> Scott
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 3:35:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

spodosaurus wrote:

>
> > Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
> >
>
> A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites the
> first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
> data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
> repartition it.

Tried that but still didn't work. The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
do that conveniently anyway.
September 27, 2004 7:49:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
news:10lgbscfbekiqae@corp.supernews.com...
> <Nothing like that at all>
>
> does it work without modifying it? exactly like that........
>

Please stop top posting.

I don't think you understand. To use a larger HD in an xbox it needs to be
modified anyway.

Therefore it's just a software 'unlocking' that is needed. Look at
www.xbox-scene.com and go to the tutorial section to see what i mean. It's
very easy.

Scott
September 27, 2004 7:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You got to be kidding?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you waste time posting a complaint about top posting............

and to tell me 'nothing like that' instead of posting to the OP


"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
news:cj9cr7$anv$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
>
> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> news:10lgbscfbekiqae@corp.supernews.com...
> > <Nothing like that at all>
> >
> > does it work without modifying it? exactly like that........
> >
>
> Please stop top posting.
>
> I don't think you understand. To use a larger HD in an xbox it needs
to be
> modified anyway.
>
> Therefore it's just a software 'unlocking' that is needed. Look at
> www.xbox-scene.com and go to the tutorial section to see what i
mean. It's
> very easy.
>
> Scott
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 7:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Scott wrote:

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> news:10lgbscfbekiqae@corp.supernews.com...
> > <Nothing like that at all>
> >
> > does it work without modifying it? exactly like that........
> >
>
> Please stop top posting.
>
> I don't think you understand. To use a larger HD in an xbox it needs to be
> modified anyway.
>
> Therefore it's just a software 'unlocking' that is needed. Look at
> www.xbox-scene.com and go to the tutorial section to see what i mean. It's
> very easy.
>
> Scott

A question. I am totally unfamiliar with the Xbox itself. Do you need an Xbox
to find the key? My son took it with him to school so if I do then I am stuck
for couple of weeks until Thanksgiving. Also would anything I have tried
already to format the drive affect unlocking it?

Thanks
September 27, 2004 7:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/upgrade-xbox-hard-dri...




"Paul M" <urrout@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:41585322.79BBFE9E@hotmail.com...
>
>
> Scott wrote:
>
> > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:10lgbscfbekiqae@corp.supernews.com...
> > > <Nothing like that at all>
> > >
> > > does it work without modifying it? exactly like that........
> > >
> >
> > Please stop top posting.
> >
> > I don't think you understand. To use a larger HD in an xbox it
needs to be
> > modified anyway.
> >
> > Therefore it's just a software 'unlocking' that is needed. Look at
> > www.xbox-scene.com and go to the tutorial section to see what i
mean. It's
> > very easy.
> >
> > Scott
>
> A question. I am totally unfamiliar with the Xbox itself. Do you
need an Xbox
> to find the key? My son took it with him to school so if I do then I
am stuck
> for couple of weeks until Thanksgiving. Also would anything I have
tried
> already to format the drive affect unlocking it?
>
> Thanks
>
September 27, 2004 7:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<<<<<<<<<<snore-U bore me>>>>>>>>>>>> the subject is OT for this NG,
where are your 'rules' now? and where are your helpful tidbits..?
unlock the drive? no link no anything to explain what your talking
about.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=harddriv...

here is the 'helpful' link
September 28, 2004 2:49:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
news:10lgq2u5mk6rscd@corp.supernews.com...
> <<<<<<<<<<snore-U bore me>>>>>>>>>>>> the subject is OT for this NG,
> where are your 'rules' now? and where are your helpful tidbits..?
> unlock the drive? no link no anything to explain what your talking
> about.
>
> http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=harddriv...
>
> here is the 'helpful' link
>
>

Are you f***ing blind? The do links i gave to www.xbox-scene.com mean
anything to you? And when i said to go to the tutorial section? I never
point anyone directly to the article as then they will miss all the rest of
the info they might need in the future.

The OP is asking how to use a xbox HD is his pc. PC?!?! As in the thing this
group was made for.

F***wit!!!

Run along now little boy!

Scott
September 28, 2004 2:49:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

ok scotty



"Scott" <scott.boyce@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:bO06d.363$7a5.75@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>
> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> news:10lgq2u5mk6rscd@corp.supernews.com...
> > <<<<<<<<<<snore-U bore me>>>>>>>>>>>> the subject is OT for this
NG,
> > where are your 'rules' now? and where are your helpful tidbits..?
> > unlock the drive? no link no anything to explain what your talking
> > about.
> >
> > http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=harddriv...
> >
> > here is the 'helpful' link
> >
> >
>
> Are you f***ing blind? The do links i gave to www.xbox-scene.com
mean
> anything to you? And when i said to go to the tutorial section? I
never
> point anyone directly to the article as then they will miss all the
rest of
> the info they might need in the future.
>
> The OP is asking how to use a xbox HD is his pc. PC?!?! As in the
thing this
> group was made for.
>
> F***wit!!!
>
> Run along now little boy!
>
> Scott
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 4:48:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Paul M wrote:
>
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>
>>>Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>>>
>>
>>A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites the
>>first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
>>data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
>>repartition it.
>
>
> Tried that but still didn't work.

I doubt it. What program did you use to wipe the drive?

> The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
> do that conveniently anyway.
>


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 4:48:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

spodosaurus wrote:

> Paul M wrote:
> >
> > spodosaurus wrote:
> >
> >
> >>>Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
> >>>
> >>
> >>A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites the
> >>first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
> >>data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
> >>repartition it.
> >
> >
> > Tried that but still didn't work.
>
> I doubt it. What program did you use to wipe the drive?
>
> > The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
> > do that conveniently anyway.
> >

Seagate (stated as seaquest tools by mistake in original post) diskwizard. It
said it was successful but still didn't allow me to format the drive. Another
poster says the drive needs to be unlocked so I will try it.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 6:35:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Paul M wrote:
>
> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>
>>Paul M wrote:
>>
>>>spodosaurus wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites the
>>>>first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
>>>>data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
>>>>repartition it.
>>>
>>>
>>>Tried that but still didn't work.
>>
>>I doubt it. What program did you use to wipe the drive?
>>
>>
>>>The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
>>>do that conveniently anyway.
>>>
>
>
> Seagate (stated as seaquest tools by mistake in original post) diskwizard. It
> said it was successful but still didn't allow me to format the drive. Another
> poster says the drive needs to be unlocked so I will try it.
>

I suspect Scott is right, and that you'll need the original xbox to
rectify this issue:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_20908990.html

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
September 28, 2004 6:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
news:41585d5a$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> Paul M wrote:
>>
>> spodosaurus wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Paul M wrote:
>>>
>>>>spodosaurus wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>>Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites
>>>>>the
>>>>>first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
>>>>>data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
>>>>>repartition it.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Tried that but still didn't work.
>>>
>>>I doubt it. What program did you use to wipe the drive?
>>>
>>>
>>>>The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
>>>>do that conveniently anyway.
>>>>
>>
>>
>> Seagate (stated as seaquest tools by mistake in original post)
>> diskwizard. It
>> said it was successful but still didn't allow me to format the drive.
>> Another
>> poster says the drive needs to be unlocked so I will try it.
>>
>
> I suspect Scott is right, and that you'll need the original xbox to
> rectify this issue:

My mate had the same problem so I know this is the issue in question.

I can't remember the exact program to use but i know you need to put the HD
back in the xbox, and then unlock it. I think the program (to be run from
xbox) is config magic. It is in .xbe format so it can only be run from the
xbox - stick it on CD or FTP it to the Hard drive. I assume you know how to
do this? If not, write back here and i'll try my best to advise you. Once
you learn the basics it does get easier.

Scott
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 6:35:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Scott wrote:

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> news:41585d5a$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> > Paul M wrote:
> >>
> >> spodosaurus wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>Paul M wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>spodosaurus wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>>Can anybody help me get windows to recognize it?
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>A dirty way to do it is to use a disc wiping utility that overwrites
> >>>>>the
> >>>>>first few hundred megabytes of the hard drive (not useful to prevent
> >>>>>data recovery, but that's not what we're trying to do here) and then
> >>>>>repartition it.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>Tried that but still didn't work.
> >>>
> >>>I doubt it. What program did you use to wipe the drive?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>>The full one only did 1% in 8 hours so can't
> >>>>do that conveniently anyway.
> >>>>
> >>
> >>
> >> Seagate (stated as seaquest tools by mistake in original post)
> >> diskwizard. It
> >> said it was successful but still didn't allow me to format the drive.
> >> Another
> >> poster says the drive needs to be unlocked so I will try it.
> >>
> >
> > I suspect Scott is right, and that you'll need the original xbox to
> > rectify this issue:
>
> My mate had the same problem so I know this is the issue in question.
>
> I can't remember the exact program to use but i know you need to put the HD
> back in the xbox, and then unlock it. I think the program (to be run from
> xbox) is config magic. It is in .xbe format so it can only be run from the
> xbox - stick it on CD or FTP it to the Hard drive. I assume you know how to
> do this? If not, write back here and i'll try my best to advise you. Once
> you learn the basics it does get easier.
>
> Scott

Thanks. I will have to wait a couple of weeks until my son comes home from
school with the Xbox to try it.
September 28, 2004 6:35:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <fCZ5d.1023$W35.909@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>, scott.boyce@ntlworld.com says...
> >>
> >
> > I suspect Scott is right, and that you'll need the original xbox to
> > rectify this issue:
>
> My mate had the same problem so I know this is the issue in question.
>
> I can't remember the exact program to use but i know you need to put the HD
> back in the xbox, and then unlock it. I think the program (to be run from
> xbox) is config magic. It is in .xbe format so it can only be run from the
> xbox - stick it on CD or FTP it to the Hard drive. I assume you know how to


Assuming you have updated the dashboard on the xbox, there may even be an option to unlock the drive on its menu system.
September 28, 2004 12:33:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Pob" <pobnews@spamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.1bc2bc86aa9b8b2e989ad6@news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> In article <fCZ5d.1023$W35.909@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
> scott.boyce@ntlworld.com says...
>> >>
>> >
>> > I suspect Scott is right, and that you'll need the original xbox to
>> > rectify this issue:
>>
>> My mate had the same problem so I know this is the issue in question.
>>
>> I can't remember the exact program to use but i know you need to put the
>> HD
>> back in the xbox, and then unlock it. I think the program (to be run from
>> xbox) is config magic. It is in .xbe format so it can only be run from
>> the
>> xbox - stick it on CD or FTP it to the Hard drive. I assume you know how
>> to
>
>
> Assuming you have updated the dashboard on the xbox, there may even be an
> option to unlock the drive on its menu system.

Agreed. Evox may have something to that effect, but if not the software can
be downloaded easily.

Scott
September 28, 2004 7:24:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:57:03 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>heh good to see you know your products.....

Got the 411 from your mama, a "field tester", if you know what I mean.
September 28, 2004 8:04:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hey very mature........... come back when you grow up....mother
jokes....what a moron

"rhys" <rhys@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:nhejl054un5cdukgu88blrpkhsu1e5eaos@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:57:03 -0700, "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >heh good to see you know your products.....
>
> Got the 411 from your mama, a "field tester", if you know what I
mean.