It is worth buying expensive/fast RAM?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 7:04:41 PM

Hello there,

Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.

I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?
September 27, 2004 7:04:42 PM

when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.

"noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
news:D _V5d.145861$hZ3.132376@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hello there,
>
> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
athlon 64
> 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
>
> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
extra cost
> or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2004 11:49:09 PM

Thanks people.

Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously it's
going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.
>

> "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
> news:D _V5d.145861$hZ3.132376@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hello there,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
> athlon 64
>> 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
>>
>> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
> extra cost
>> or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 1:01:40 AM

"noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message news:<d_V5d.145861$hZ3.132376@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> Hello there,
>
> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
> 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
>
> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
> or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

Extremetech says it's not worth it.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1637781,00.a...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 1:23:10 AM

> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
> 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
>
> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
> or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

If you've already got the cheap RAM, stick with the cheap RAM.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 2:27:18 AM

noisemaker wrote:

> Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously it's
> going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?

It depends. If you want the fastest memory possible to get every extra
frame out of Doom3 and play often, then yes. If you can live with
something less or don't game quiet that much, then no. If you're not
gaming at all, it's a complete waste of money.

Personally, I'd go with a higher memory frequency and overclock it to
get more mileage.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2004 5:50:41 AM

noisemaker - typed:
> Thanks people.
>
> Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously
> it's going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?
>

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.
>>

>> "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> news:D _V5d.145861$hZ3.132376@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
>>> athlon 64 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
>>>
>>> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
>>> extra cost or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

Although I take much on this site with a dumper truck full of salt, you
may find this article worth reading:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index...
The conclusion appears to be that on AMD64 systems with its integrated
memory controller, the difference isn't that great. This doesn't mean
you can necessarily get away with unbranded RAM either. If you do decide
to go for PC3200 RAM - choose carefully.
--
The map is not the territory
Anonymous

Yes, buy some DDR2, PC5500 ram NOW.