It is worth buying expensive/fast RAM?

Hello there,

Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.

I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?
7 answers Last reply
More about worth buying expensive fast

    when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.

    "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello there,
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
    athlon 64
    > 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >
    > I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
    extra cost
    > or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

    Thanks people.

    Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously it's
    going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.
    >

    > "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello there,
    >>
    >> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
    > athlon 64
    >> 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >>
    >> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
    > extra cost
    >> or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

    "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message news:<d_V5d.145861$hZ3.132376@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Hello there,
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
    > 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >
    > I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
    > or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

    Extremetech says it's not worth it.

    > Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
    > 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >
    > I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
    > or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

    If you've already got the cheap RAM, stick with the cheap RAM.

    noisemaker wrote:

    > Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously it's
    > going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?

    It depends. If you want the fastest memory possible to get every extra
    frame out of Doom3 and play often, then yes. If you can live with
    something less or don't game quiet that much, then no. If you're not
    gaming at all, it's a complete waste of money.

    Personally, I'd go with a higher memory frequency and overclock it to
    get more mileage.

    noisemaker - typed:
    > Thanks people.
    >
    > Should have made myself clear. I meant lower latency RAM. Obviously
    > it's going to be faster, but is it worth the extra cost?
    >

    > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    >> when you ask that question, then you don't NEED it.
    >>

    >> "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello there,
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have
    >>> athlon 64 3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >>>
    >>> I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the
    >>> extra cost or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

    Although I take much on this site with a dumper truck full of salt, you
    may find this article worth reading:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index-01.html
    The conclusion appears to be that on AMD64 systems with its integrated
    memory controller, the difference isn't that great. This doesn't mean
    you can necessarily get away with unbranded RAM either. If you do decide
    to go for PC3200 RAM - choose carefully.
    --
    The map is not the territory

    Yes, buy some DDR2, PC5500 ram NOW.

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:04:41 GMT, "noisemaker" <nospam@nothere.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello there,
    >
    >Just wondering if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost? I have athlon 64
    >3200 and still using my old 333mhz RAM.
    >
    >I could do with upgrading, but wondering if it's really worth the extra cost
    >or should I stick with the less expensive RAM?

Homebuilt Hardware RAM Systems