USB 2 on Asrock K7S8X & Windows 98

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2004 12:35:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

I have just built a PC using an Asrock K7S8X motherboard (SiS 746 chipset).
I will be dual-booting it with Windows 98 and Linux, but I'm looking at the
Windows 98 bit first.

One of the Asrock 'drivers' for the motherboard features is for USB. As far
as I can see all this does is to set up a line in Autoexec.bat to run a
program called 'NoUSB20.exe'.

Ok, that sort of makes sense, as the motherboard supports USB 2 but Windows
98 does not.
Strangely though, Asrock do not provide any documantation on this. How
unusual! ;-)

In Device Manager I do not see any enhanced USB controllers, and this is
correct I believe due to Win 98 not supporting USB 2.
Asrock describe the program mentioned as a driver, in it's broadest meaning
I suppose, but a real driver would actually provide support for USB 2
wouldn't it?
So, I suspect that this program is some kind of 'fix' to make Win 98 work in
the presence of USB2. Note - not to support USB 2, but just not to fall over
when it's there.

I would like to know, if anyone can advise me, exactly what this program
does. Any ideas?

Another little queston - how can you tell if USB 2 is working?
Is there any indicator of which USB is in use, or something to say at what
speed the USB port(S) are running?
A little shareware utility maybe?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2004 12:35:51 AM

John Fryatt wrote:

> I have just built a PC using an Asrock K7S8X motherboard (SiS 746 chipset).
> I will be dual-booting it with Windows 98 and Linux, but I'm looking at the
> Windows 98 bit first.
>
> One of the Asrock 'drivers' for the motherboard features is for USB. As far
> as I can see all this does is to set up a line in Autoexec.bat to run a
> program called 'NoUSB20.exe'.
>
> Ok, that sort of makes sense, as the motherboard supports USB 2 but Windows
> 98 does not.
> Strangely though, Asrock do not provide any documantation on this. How
> unusual! ;-)
>
> In Device Manager I do not see any enhanced USB controllers, and this is
> correct I believe due to Win 98 not supporting USB 2.
> Asrock describe the program mentioned as a driver, in it's broadest meaning
> I suppose, but a real driver would actually provide support for USB 2
> wouldn't it?
> So, I suspect that this program is some kind of 'fix' to make Win 98 work in
> the presence of USB2. Note - not to support USB 2, but just not to fall over
> when it's there.
>
> I would like to know, if anyone can advise me, exactly what this program
> does. Any ideas?
>

> Another little queston - how can you tell if USB 2 is working?
> Is there any indicator of which USB is in use, or something to say at what
> speed the USB port(S) are running?
> A little shareware utility maybe?

http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2004 5:38:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:35:50 GMT Humanity I love.It's just people who
piss me off ;-) "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote :

>I have just built a PC using an Asrock K7S8X motherboard (SiS 746 chipset).
>I will be dual-booting it with Windows 98 and Linux, but I'm looking at the
>Windows 98 bit first.
>
>One of the Asrock 'drivers' for the motherboard features is for USB. As far
>as I can see all this does is to set up a line in Autoexec.bat to run a
>program called 'NoUSB20.exe'.
>
>Ok, that sort of makes sense, as the motherboard supports USB 2 but Windows
>98 does not.
>Strangely though, Asrock do not provide any documantation on this. How
>unusual! ;-)
>
>In Device Manager I do not see any enhanced USB controllers, and this is
>correct I believe due to Win 98 not supporting USB 2.
>Asrock describe the program mentioned as a driver, in it's broadest meaning
>I suppose, but a real driver would actually provide support for USB 2
>wouldn't it?
>So, I suspect that this program is some kind of 'fix' to make Win 98 work in
>the presence of USB2. Note - not to support USB 2, but just not to fall over
>when it's there.
>
>I would like to know, if anyone can advise me, exactly what this program
>does. Any ideas?
>

>Another little queston - how can you tell if USB 2 is working?
>Is there any indicator of which USB is in use, or something to say at what
>speed the USB port(S) are running?
>A little shareware utility maybe?

I've wondered about this with my,"Asrock"(great board),
This may help,
http://tinyurl.com/3hsaz
not clear but a bit more info.

I'm still researching it myself.