HDTVs More Expensive Now Than Over the Last 2 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
There's another reason for the prices to be going up: the US Dollar isn't worth as much as it was to the rest of the world. The decreasing value of the US Dollar is causing the prices of all sorts of imports to rise.

ZuluCharlie

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Look on craigslist, I got 60" samsung LED 240hz smart tv for 800.00 - Felt bad for the guy, gave him my old 32" and the 800 he was asking for since he lost his job.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
How can the "Average" price be over $1100?

This data can't be right, when you consider the large selection sold at Wal-Mart in the $300-$600 price range. The average price must be lower.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
It sucks that these TV makers are trying to force a bunch of garbage I dont give a rats rear about on me.

All I want is a 60-70 inch LED full array w/ local dimming @120or240hz. I dont care about Smart Tv features and I certainly dont care about 3D.

Anyone know if this mythical creature exists?

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]It sucks that these TV makers are trying to force a bunch of garbage I dont give a rats rear about on me.All I want is a 60-70 inch LED full array w/ local dimming @120or240hz. I dont care about Smart Tv features and I certainly dont care about 3D. Anyone know if this mythical creature exists?[/citation]Good luck with that

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I'm still using a 32" 720P LCD. I might upgrade to a 40" 1080P LCD/LED 120hz, no 3D and the less gadgets as possible. The next step will be a 4K2K with probably a new player that support 4K2K resolution, so it'll be a while.

artk2219

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ZuluCharlie[/nom]Look on craigslist, I got 60" samsung LED 240hz smart tv for 800.00 - Felt bad for the guy, gave him my old 32" and the 800 he was asking for since he lost his job.[/citation]

That was kind of you man, I'm sure he appreciated it.

[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]It sucks that these TV makers are trying to force a bunch of garbage I dont give a rats rear about on me.All I want is a 60-70 inch LED full array w/ local dimming @120or240hz. I dont care about Smart Tv features and I certainly dont care about 3D. Anyone know if this mythical creature exists?[/citation]

Not sure about diming about but samsung has 2 tv's (65" and 60") that nearly fit the bill.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65EH6050FXZA 65"

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60EH6000FXZA 60"

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Just bought a 720 Samsung Plasma, 42"... I am quite pleased. It is a bit dimmer than I was expecting, and it certainly scared me with some burn-in before I forced the aspect ratio... And I was SHOCKED that it had no VGA input (without an adapter) but for 400, it was a decent deal.

Next TV will likely be a LCD, but it MUST be at LEAST 120Hz, if not 240...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]How can the "Average" price be over $1100? This data can't be right, when you consider the large selection sold at Wal-Mart in the $300-$600 price range. The average price must be lower.[/citation]

this is what i'm thinking , i really call bull sh-- on these "findings" I even see 42 inch tv's now that are regularly in the range of $450-550 even more bizzare is them claiming that 46 inch size is the most popular now ??? most homes that do have an LCD HDTV that i walk into, have a 32 inch not a 46. hell most homes i walk into are still running old school CRt's. I swear this research must have used the "top 5" brands (ie the most expensive). and must have only used the richiest consumers for the survey. because where I'm living these number's are obviously a big steaming pile of every one's favorite fertilizer.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The average price is likely referring to the average cost of models at a given size, rather than the average cost of the models sold at a given size. Seems like a pretty useless observation.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I find it hard to believe that the 'average' price is over $1200. You can get a 55" LED set for that much money. Are you telling me that the AVERAGE set was 55"? So since a lot of people are buying 32-46" sets then there must be a ton of people buying 70"+ as well. Maybe people are just terrible at shopping around for a decent price (though most places seem to be reasonable)?

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
cknobman :
It sucks that these TV makers are trying to force a bunch of garbage I dont give a rats rear about on me.All I want is a 60-70 inch LED full array w/ local dimming @120or240hz. I dont care about Smart Tv features and I certainly dont care about 3D. Anyone know if this mythical creature exists?

Sure it exists. You can get the Sharp PRO70X5FD, which is basically an updated version of the now legendary and impossible to find (at least new) Pioneer ELITE "KURO" Plasma TVs. After Pioneer exited the TV market, many of their patents were sold to Panasonic, and it appear, it SHARP.

The "ELITE" moniker for the TV remains, which means basically a no-expense-spared TV from a manufacturing point of view, but you will pay an arm and a leg and a kidney for it.

If you want a BAMF full array, local dimming, 240 Hz LED TV that absolutely rocks, look no further than the SHARP ELITE PRO-70X5FD, or 60X5FD.

http://elitelcdtv.com/

However, if too many people start buying these TVs, the average price is likely to get closer to $6k, as the 70 inch PRO-70X5FD retails for anywhere between $6,500 to $8,000 depending on how reputable of a seller you choose to go with. LOL.

Like someone said, count me out of these next few generations/cycles of meaningless "online experiences" and apps and 3D and other such BS, until a decent 4K TV can be had for around $3K.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Not sure about diming about but samsung has 2 tv's (65" and 60") that nearly fit the bill.http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65EH6050FXZA 65"http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60EH6000FXZA 60"[/citation]

Thanks I looked at them but there is not a lot of info on the specs (at least that I could find). How can you tell they are a full array LCD?

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
They are charging more for the LED TV's and the faster 3d TV's. In reality the older model LCD's work just as good. When it comes to a faster HRZ setting, people are have to defeat the correcting features in the TV's. What really matters is 60 Hrtz is the right speed for video.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
You will probably be mad for my saying this but Vanns sells a lot of TV's and they are in a state with no sales tax. I purchased my last TV from them.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]SuckRaven[/nom]Sure it exists. You can get the Sharp PRO70X5FD, [/citation]

Yep this is the exact TV I have been looking at. I was just hoping that there was a model without all the extra Smart TV and 3D features to help bring the cost down.

G

You do know that any 120hz/240hz tv is 3D capable with just an ir emitter and the software. 3D Tech is an industry standard now that everything is digital and systems are fast enough to make it cheap to add.

And an IR emitter is basically just a single LED driven like a remote control's LED.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]a20002000[/nom]You do know that any 120hz/240hz tv is 3D capable with just an ir emitter and the software. 3D Tech is an industry standard now that everything is digital and systems are fast enough to make it cheap to add.And an IR emitter is basically just a single LED driven like a remote control's LED.[/citation]

I dont care what the TV is capable of, I care about not paying for a feature I dont want and wont use. 3D is just an easy way for these companies to drive the prices up.

G

I bought my 60" Plasma LG 60-PA6500 TV from HHGREGG for $999. I do not need smart TV or crappy 3D. The TV looks amazing. If you have a dark room, it even looks better than full back lit LED TVs. Yes, LCD TVs are brighter, but because of that lose some of the color. Plasma has the best colors and best motion (600hz)

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ZuluCharlie[/nom]Look on craigslist, I got 60" samsung LED 240hz smart tv for 800.00 - Felt bad for the guy, gave him my old 32" and the 800 he was asking for since he lost his job.[/citation]

Too bad for the guy. But if he had enough savings he probably didn't need to have sold it. I'd bet the TV contributed to his not having savings.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
the difference in cost of smart and 3d tv's is insanespend the $700 and buy a 42" hdtv, then spend $300 and connect an ipod to it. you now have a ssmarten than any available smart tv for half the price.

I'm sure another price fixing case by the US government will be around the corner for these companies, but right now the process is as follows.

Companies release a product then get together to set an artificially high price and agree to not decrease the price. Customers overpay to the tune of billions of dollars for years on end. Eventually the US government "fine's" the corporations responsible for the price fixing so they look like their are defending the people but really its to take their cut of the $'s.

You are paying the government to screw you, congratulations. If you received a single cent from the hundreds of millions of dollars of fines to date against these companies for price fixing please correct me.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I find it hard to believe that the 'average' price is over $1200. You can get a 55" LED set for that much money. Are you telling me that the AVERAGE set was 55"? So since a lot of people are buying 32-46" sets then there must be a ton of people buying 70"+ as well. Maybe people are just terrible at shopping around for a decent price (though most places seem to be reasonable)?[/citation]

And I can get one for $3000... I totally agree with the $1200 average.

Status
Not open for further replies.