Memtest errors?

I bought sme new Corsair PC3200XLPT TwinX 1GB, and i used Memtest86+, i get
errors on test 3 on one of the modules and errors on test 6 on the other
module.

But how serious are Memtest errors?, does your memory have to pass all
Memtests with zero errors for it to work properly?
6 answers Last reply
More about memtest errors

    "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I bought sme new Corsair PC3200XLPT TwinX 1GB, and i used Memtest86+,
    >i get errors on test 3 on one of the modules and errors on test 6 on
    >the other module.
    >
    > But how serious are Memtest errors?, does your memory have to pass all
    > Memtests with zero errors for it to work properly?

    If you want your system to be stable then yes, you risk data corruption,
    BSOD's etc.

    What mobo, vdimm, memory timings? are you overclocking?

    Increasing vdimm / relaxing timings will probably cure the errors, but
    if you're not overclocking you should be able to run at spd settings.

    Provide more info about your setup, I have the same mem running at
    220MHz 5,2,2,2, but it needs 3.0 volts of vdimm to get there.

    --
    Apollo

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > If you want your system to be stable then yes, you risk data corruption,
    > BSOD's etc.
    >
    > What mobo, vdimm, memory timings? are you overclocking?
    >
    > Increasing vdimm / relaxing timings will probably cure the errors, but if
    > you're not overclocking you should be able to run at spd settings.
    >
    > Provide more info about your setup, I have the same mem running at 220MHz
    > 5,2,2,2, but it needs 3.0 volts of vdimm to get there.

    I am running a 3.2GHz CPU, Northwood, when installing the new memory i set
    everything to default...no overclocking. My motherboard is a Gigabyte
    GA-8KNXP revision 2.1 with the latest FJ bios. Antec 550W PSU, leadtek
    6800GT at default settings. Two Western Digital Raptors 74GB running in RAID
    0, Audigy 2 ZS.

    I set the voltage to 2.8v, thus increasing by +.3v from the default 2.5v, i
    set the memory to detect by SPD data. When it booted up i got memory timings
    by SPD of 2.5-2-2-5.

    Then i started the Memtest86+ runs, i am using the latest 1.26 version.
    Right away on test 3 i got errors. Tried everything, changing the modules to
    different DIMM slots, i tried the modules in both dual channel mode and as
    individual modules.

    The first module start having errors at test 3 of the standard test, i
    repeated the test many times and got errors in the same place. I took that
    module out and tested the other one, i started having errors at test 6.

    I tried changing the voltage from 2.5v - 2.8v, still errors. I relaxed the
    memory timings and still got errors.

    Thus i am at a loss, i contacted Corsair and they gave me an RMA number,
    it's possible that it was just a bad batch or something....i asked them to
    test the modules and replace them if nesscary.

    > I am running a 3.2GHz CPU, Northwood, when installing the new memory i
    > set everything to default...no overclocking. My motherboard is a
    > Gigabyte GA-8KNXP revision 2.1 with the latest FJ bios. Antec 550W
    > PSU, leadtek 6800GT at default settings. Two Western Digital Raptors
    > 74GB running in RAID 0, Audigy 2 ZS.

    It's been a long long time since I built with Intel, but that rig sounds
    nice ;-)

    > I set the voltage to 2.8v, thus increasing by +.3v from the default
    > 2.5v, i set the memory to detect by SPD data. When it booted up i got
    > memory timings by SPD of 2.5-2-2-5.
    >
    > Then i started the Memtest86+ runs, i am using the latest 1.26
    > version. Right away on test 3 i got errors. Tried everything, changing
    > the modules to different DIMM slots, i tried the modules in both dual
    > channel mode and as individual modules.
    >
    > The first module start having errors at test 3 of the standard test, i
    > repeated the test many times and got errors in the same place. I took
    > that module out and tested the other one, i started having errors at
    > test 6.

    Looks like you tested them as fully as possible, I was going to ask if
    you were getting the same error for the same dimm in different slots.

    > I tried changing the voltage from 2.5v - 2.8v, still errors. I relaxed
    > the memory timings and still got errors.

    They should run fine at default voltage for stock speed and timings,
    something is definately wrong.

    > Thus i am at a loss, i contacted Corsair and they gave me an RMA
    > number, it's possible that it was just a bad batch or something....i
    > asked them to test the modules and replace them if nesscary.

    Best course of action really, you tested them correctly, but it does
    seem odd that two modules would both be defective. Have you looked
    through google groups searching on that mobo / memory combination,
    perhaps someone else has had the same problem as yourself.

    Hope you get it going, (then you can look at overclocking it :o).

    --
    Apollo

    Richard,

    Don't ever assume that a Gigabyte board is correctly reading the SPD on the
    modules. I've read multiple reviews, and I have personal experience with
    two Gigabyte boards, where the instituted timings are divergent from the
    SPD. Even the latest Gigabyte board I used, supposedly their top of the
    line, wouldn't allow manula settings and gave me 2.5 4 4 15(!) at some
    frequencies, but never anywhere near the SPD of 2 3 2 5. Set the timings
    manually.

    Start at 2.5 3 3 7 (if it can't go this low, then I'd return them out of
    principle) with the same 2.8 voltage, at the rated frequency, and work your
    way down, one number at a time, until you get errors; then move the number
    up one to its error free state. If you're still getting errors, it is
    possible that you got TWO defective sticks, but unlikely.

    "Dave" <AuctionREMOVETHISproinc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Richard,
    >
    > Don't ever assume that a Gigabyte board is correctly reading the SPD on
    > the modules. I've read multiple reviews, and I have personal experience
    > with two Gigabyte boards, where the instituted timings are divergent from
    > the SPD. Even the latest Gigabyte board I used, supposedly their top of
    > the line, wouldn't allow manula settings and gave me 2.5 4 4 15(!) at some
    > frequencies, but never anywhere near the SPD of 2 3 2 5. Set the timings
    > manually.
    >
    > Start at 2.5 3 3 7 (if it can't go this low, then I'd return them out of
    > principle) with the same 2.8 voltage, at the rated frequency, and work
    > your way down, one number at a time, until you get errors; then move the
    > number up one to its error free state. If you're still getting errors, it
    > is possible that you got TWO defective sticks, but unlikely.

    It is possible, thing is....right now i have 1GB of Corsair PC3200LLPT
    2-3-2-6, i have manually set the timings on these modules to 2-3-2-5 and
    they work perfect!

    Have tested many times with the Windows memory diagnostic and Mestest86+ and
    they pass all tests, every time.

    Even these modules gave me 2.5-3-2-6 by SPD, so i changed them to 2-3-2-5.
    My 1GB of XL modules gave me 2.5.-2-2-5 by SPD at 2.8v

    my PC booted with the XL modules, no problem there, the issue was within
    memtest86 and the errors i received from the diagnostic utiltity. Thus i
    have returned the XL modules to Corsair for testing and possible
    replacement.

    "Dave" <AuctionREMOVETHISproinc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Don't ever assume that a Gigabyte board is correctly reading the SPD on
    > the modules. I've read multiple reviews, and I have personal experience
    > with two Gigabyte boards, where the instituted timings are divergent from
    > the SPD. Even the latest Gigabyte board I used, supposedly their top of
    > the line, wouldn't allow manula settings and gave me 2.5 4 4 15(!) at some
    > frequencies, but never anywhere near the SPD of 2 3 2 5. Set the timings
    > manually.

    Where do you get the specs for a given model. I have four sticks of
    Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 and have never seen any references to
    specifications for setting the modules manually. I have them set to SPD now
    and all is stable.

Homebuilt Systems