file transfer times with SD card

August 14, 2004 3:34:30 PM

I have an HP 128MB SD card, and a speed utility (Pocket Mechanic) reports
its rating as 0.05MB/sec on an HP1940 w/WM2003.

Everytime I try to transfer a 115MB movie file to the card using my desktop
(via an internal USB2.0 card reader), it freezes the whole system. I
calculated a transfer time of about 40-60 minutes, but even after 2 hours,
the system remains frozen. (i.e. W2K says "50 seconds remaining, no
application can be opened, and Ctrl-Alt-Del just gives a blank screen, not
even the Windows Task Manager).

Any advice as to what the problem is would be appreciated!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 14, 2004 9:04:44 PM

"PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP 128MB SD card, and a speed utility (Pocket Mechanic) reports
> its rating as 0.05MB/sec on an HP1940 w/WM2003.
>
> Everytime I try to transfer a 115MB movie file to the card using my
desktop
> (via an internal USB2.0 card reader), it freezes the whole system. I
> calculated a transfer time of about 40-60 minutes, but even after 2 hours,
> the system remains frozen. (i.e. W2K says "50 seconds remaining, no
> application can be opened, and Ctrl-Alt-Del just gives a blank screen, not
> even the Windows Task Manager).
>
> Any advice as to what the problem is would be appreciated!

Get a card reader connected to your PC and copy it to the card, then put the
card into your machine. The card readers aren't too expensive now.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 14, 2004 11:37:31 PM

<< Glances at OP's line : "via an internal USB2.0 card reader"

So his Card Reader seems to be borked.
Alan's right though, a new one should be under $15-20

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:04:44 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>"PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an HP 128MB SD card, and a speed utility (Pocket Mechanic) reports
>> its rating as 0.05MB/sec on an HP1940 w/WM2003.
>>
>> Everytime I try to transfer a 115MB movie file to the card using my
>desktop
>> (via an internal USB2.0 card reader), it freezes the whole system. I
>> calculated a transfer time of about 40-60 minutes, but even after 2 hours,
>> the system remains frozen. (i.e. W2K says "50 seconds remaining, no
>> application can be opened, and Ctrl-Alt-Del just gives a blank screen, not
>> even the Windows Task Manager).
>>
>> Any advice as to what the problem is would be appreciated!
>>

>Get a card reader connected to your PC and copy it to the card, then put the
>card into your machine. The card readers aren't too expensive now.

Related resources
August 14, 2004 11:37:32 PM

thanks to both for the advice, but I am using a Card Reader (6-in-1) with
the SD card - and experiencing this freezing problem. My Card Reader works
great with compact flash media, fast and no freezing. So I'm not sure where
the problem lies.

any additional advice is appreciated.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> << Glances at OP's line : "via an internal USB2.0 card reader"
>
> So his Card Reader seems to be borked.
> Alan's right though, a new one should be under $15-20
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:04:44 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >"PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have an HP 128MB SD card, and a speed utility (Pocket Mechanic)
reports
> >> its rating as 0.05MB/sec on an HP1940 w/WM2003.
> >>
> >> Everytime I try to transfer a 115MB movie file to the card using my
> >desktop
> >> (via an internal USB2.0 card reader), it freezes the whole system. I
> >> calculated a transfer time of about 40-60 minutes, but even after 2
hours,
> >> the system remains frozen. (i.e. W2K says "50 seconds remaining, no
> >> application can be opened, and Ctrl-Alt-Del just gives a blank screen,
not
> >> even the Windows Task Manager).
> >>
> >> Any advice as to what the problem is would be appreciated!
> >>

> >Get a card reader connected to your PC and copy it to the card, then put
the
> >card into your machine. The card readers aren't too expensive now.

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 12:54:19 PM

look at your makers website- there may be help or updated drivers for your
reader.

try the card in a different reader- does a friend have one?- to see if the
problem is the same. If it is then suspect the card or its format, if no
issue then suspect your reader/drivers.

> thanks to both for the advice, but I am using a Card Reader (6-in-1) with
> the SD card - and experiencing this freezing problem. My Card Reader
works
> great with compact flash media, fast and no freezing. So I'm not sure
where
> the problem lies.
>
> any additional advice is appreciated.
>

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > << Glances at OP's line : "via an internal USB2.0 card reader"
> >
> > So his Card Reader seems to be borked.
> > Alan's right though, a new one should be under $15-20
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
> >
> > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:04:44 +0100, "AlanS"
> > <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > >"PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> reports

> > >desktop
> hours,
> not

> > >Get a card reader connected to your PC and copy it to the card, then
put
> the
> > >card into your machine. The card readers aren't too expensive now.

August 15, 2004 2:43:34 PM

I just tested my Lexar 256MB SD card (40X), which until now was used
exclusively in my HP1940. Transfer of a 48MB video file to the Lexar SD
card took around 10 seconds, so the card reader's driver "should" be ok.
Seems like the problem may be with the HP SD card itself?

Some more benchmark results:

- Lexar 256MB SD ("40X"): 1.75MB/sec reading, 11.9X
- HP 128MB SD: 0.05MB/sec reading, 0.4X

The HP SD was brand new, came free in the mail from HP with my iPaq 1940
purchase. It's part number is: 253475-822 , and the exact info is here:
http://www.compusmart.com/product.asp?CatalogID=0&Suppl...
entSegment=Handheld+Devices It's barely used, maybe less then 10 attempted
writes to it.

On Google, I couldn't find info on the speed rating of the HP SD card. Does
anyone know if the 0.4X in the reading benchmark is "normal"? (seems
terribly slow to me).

I don't know if it helps, but I can transfer a 15MB PowerPoint file to the
HP SD card via the card reader (takes a while), but when I remove the SD
card and then re-insert it later (i.e, next day, etc.), it takes 3-5 minutes
to "read" the contents of the HP SD card.

I'll try the SD card in a different card reader at work tomorrow.

thanks again for the advice!

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> look at your makers website- there may be help or updated drivers for your
> reader.
>
> try the card in a different reader- does a friend have one?- to see if the
> problem is the same. If it is then suspect the card or its format, if no
> issue then suspect your reader/drivers.
>

> "PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > thanks to both for the advice, but I am using a Card Reader (6-in-1)
with
> > the SD card - and experiencing this freezing problem. My Card Reader
> works
> > great with compact flash media, fast and no freezing. So I'm not sure
> where
> > the problem lies.
> >
> > any additional advice is appreciated.
> >

> > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > << Glances at OP's line : "via an internal USB2.0 card reader"
> > >
> > > So his Card Reader seems to be borked.
> > > Alan's right though, a new one should be under $15-20
> > >
> > > Cheers - Neil

> > reports

> > hours,
> screen,
> > not

> put
> > the

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 5:04:23 PM

looks like it's the card. At least it was free. Why not email HP and ask
them about the speed readings you got?

> I just tested my Lexar 256MB SD card (40X), which until now was used
> exclusively in my HP1940. Transfer of a 48MB video file to the Lexar SD
> card took around 10 seconds, so the card reader's driver "should" be ok.
> Seems like the problem may be with the HP SD card itself?
>
> Some more benchmark results:
>
> - Lexar 256MB SD ("40X"): 1.75MB/sec reading, 11.9X
> - HP 128MB SD: 0.05MB/sec reading, 0.4X
>
> The HP SD was brand new, came free in the mail from HP with my iPaq 1940
> purchase. It's part number is: 253475-822 , and the exact info is here:

http://www.compusmart.com/product.asp?CatalogID=0&Suppl...
> entSegment=Handheld+Devices It's barely used, maybe less then 10
attempted
> writes to it.
>
> On Google, I couldn't find info on the speed rating of the HP SD card.
Does
> anyone know if the 0.4X in the reading benchmark is "normal"? (seems
> terribly slow to me).
>
> I don't know if it helps, but I can transfer a 15MB PowerPoint file to the
> HP SD card via the card reader (takes a while), but when I remove the SD
> card and then re-insert it later (i.e, next day, etc.), it takes 3-5
minutes
> to "read" the contents of the HP SD card.
>
> I'll try the SD card in a different card reader at work tomorrow.
>
> thanks again for the advice!
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> > look at your makers website- there may be help or updated drivers for
your
> > reader.
> >
> > try the card in a different reader- does a friend have one?- to see if
the
> > problem is the same. If it is then suspect the card or its format, if no
> > issue then suspect your reader/drivers.
> >

> > "PS" <psbnez@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > thanks to both for the advice, but I am using a Card Reader (6-in-1)
> with
> > > the SD card - and experiencing this freezing problem. My Card Reader
> > works
> > > great with compact flash media, fast and no freezing. So I'm not sure
> > where
> > > the problem lies.
> > >
> > > any additional advice is appreciated.
> > >

> > > "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > > reports

> > > hours,
> no
> > screen,
> > > not

> > put
> > > the

August 16, 2004 11:40:37 PM

oddly, the HP SD card worked fine on my laptop at work with a different card
reader (~1 minute to transfer a 120MB file).

So I completely re-installed the driver for the card reader on my desktop at
home (where the problem was occuring), and now the HP SD card is working
fine too (~1 minute to transfer the same 120MB file).

thanks again for all the advice!

!