Rebates?

The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.

What is your experience with such offer?
Did they pay you as promised?
Deny your rebate?
Ignore your rebate?

(My experiences have been hit and miss.)
14 answers Last reply
More about rebates

    P T wrote:

    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    I have never had a problem (but keep copies of everything, and then
    check by phone/online as soon as they are due!).

    I realize my experience is not the experience of others....

    P T wrote:
    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    I've only one positive experience and am waiting on another rebate.
    We'll see if it gets here.

    I read a few years ago a claim that rebates are a psychological ploy, as
    85% of customers who buy products under rebate never manage to send them in.
    I live in Connecticut, which has an interesting law: prices in
    advertisements must be the *before rebate* prices, with the rebates listed
    separately. Even so, I still buy things under rebate.

    If the rebate is sizeable (>$20US), I have used certified mail to maintain a
    record of the transaction. (It's intended to be a polite form of mild
    intimidation. Cost is about $2, plus a trip to the post office.)

    On a couple of occasions, I've received notification (by a post card or,
    more recently, by email) that a rebate was rejected. I took the trouble of
    finding telephone contact information. When I called, the rebate was
    reinstated. I was not told why the rebate was rejected in the first place.

    Most sellers seem to use rebate fulfillment firms rather than doing rebates
    in-house. You'll be dealing with the fulfillment company rather than the
    maker or seller, if there's a problem. I doubt that the people who work for
    such companies are highly paid.

    I can only recall one rebate that I've sent in the last five years that I
    didn't receive. I probably would have gotten that one if I had followed
    through on it - I was distracted by changing jobs, states, and time zones.

    Only you can decide whether your cost savings are worth the potential
    aggarvation.

    Bob Knowlden

    Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote

    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    Out of maybe two or three rebate requests, I sent one ($20) for purchasing
    a Zoom modem and never got the rebate.

    I look to see if the product I am looking at has a rebate. If so, I move on
    to the next item.

    Rebate offers disclaim responsibility. They are not responsible if your
    rebate request form gets lost in the mail. They are not responsible if
    their staff misplaces your rebate request form. They just aren't
    responsible. Therefore they are illegitimate offers, IMO, not worth wasting
    time considering.

    ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote
    > P T wrote:

    >> The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    >> hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >> What is your experience with such offer?
    >> Did they pay you as promised?
    >> Deny your rebate?
    >> Ignore your rebate?
    >> (My experiences have been hit and miss.)
    >
    > I have never had a problem

    I guess you're just blessed [sarcasm].

    > (but keep copies of everything, and then
    > check by phone/online as soon as they are due!).

    Doesn't matter if they lose your request. They aren't responsible.

    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    Rebates are a pain in the ass. I send them in because I can't
    afford to ignore them, and because I'm cheap, but I can see why
    someone with lots of money wouldn't bother. They make the rebate
    forms microscopic so that you have to fit a jeweler's loop to your
    eye to fill in your name and address. Then they force you to jump
    through hoops copying receipts, cutting out proof of purchase, and
    giving them your e-mail address. Out of about a dozen claims over
    the last few years, I've been stiffed a couple of times. It is
    worth the annoyance for me when buying something such as a large
    harddrive or DVD drive, since the savings can be upwards of $80.

    I'm waiting for an upgrade rebate now from Symantic for Drive
    Image 7. Supposed to get back $30 US. Everything is jake with what
    I sent in except the rebate form itself. It's a generic form, not
    attached to any store, and good until early 2005, but according to
    the printed instructions I was supposed to send in the actual form
    itself, and I didn't have it, so I copied it off the Internet and
    printed it up, double sided. It's identical to the original form,
    same text, same size, but whether the bastards will reject it
    because it was reproduced, I don't know.

    john doe wrote:

    > ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote
    > > P T wrote:
    >
    > >> The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > >> hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    > >> What is your experience with such offer?
    > >> Did they pay you as promised?
    > >> Deny your rebate?
    > >> Ignore your rebate?
    > >> (My experiences have been hit and miss.)
    > >
    > > I have never had a problem
    >
    > I guess you're just blessed [sarcasm].
    >
    > > (but keep copies of everything, and then
    > > check by phone/online as soon as they are due!).
    >
    > Doesn't matter if they lose your request. They aren't responsible.

    I follow the directions...to the letter. I keep copies of what I send. I
    call, email or check online when the processing time has run out. As a
    result, I've never had one lost or rejected (22 fulfilled since 1998;
    average value: $28. High single item: 150. Low: $5).

    Retailers are counting on you (1) not sending the stuff in, and (2) not
    doing it correctly in order to minimize the total redemption rate (which
    is, not surprisingly, directly related to the size of the rebate). With
    normal redemption rates, they still give up less revenue than with an
    across the board discount...which is why rebates are so prevalent a
    tactic in a market where the margins are already razor thin.

    But: I never choose a product just because it has a rebate. It can be a
    tie-breaker between two equally capable products, but it is never the
    principal requirement.

    I know others have had bad experiences. Mine have been good. I assume
    this is not because the rebate fullfillment organizations are
    fundamentally honest, but because I am fundamentally organized in my
    approach to them.

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:02:05 -0500, Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote:

    >The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    >hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    >What is your experience with such offer?
    >Did they pay you as promised?
    >Deny your rebate?
    >Ignore your rebate?
    >
    >(My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    If I spot an item on sale at those retailers I generally jot down the
    data of manufacturer and model, price, rebate, etc. When I get home I
    compare that against what I find at NewEgg. Most of the time I find
    the online price to be cheaper than what the bottom line would have
    been locally counting the rebates. Much rather wait two days for the
    package to arrive instead of six months for a questionable rebate.

    For those that read Computer Shopper they have an article regarding
    this same subject.

    Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote in message news:<14643-415B30DD-96@storefull-3136.bay.webtv.net>...

    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    The best place for information about rebates and solving rebate
    problems is www.fatwallet.com , in the "Rebate Tracking" forum.

    Based on hundreds of submissions I've made, 75% of the rebates came
    through with no problem, meaning that the check arrived no more than
    thirty days late. Of the rest, half were late, and half required
    contacting the rebate processor and sometimes resubmitting the
    information.

    Keep copies of not only the receipt and proof of purchase (usually the
    UPC bar code) but also the rebate form (rebate processors sometimes
    have different terms & conditions on file than what the forms say),
    the advertisement showing the rebate offer, and any e-mails or letters
    from the processing company. Start checking with the rebate processor
    two weeks after submitting, and check at least every month thereafter,
    even though they normally tell you to wait at least eight weeks,
    because if you wait too long and don't get your money, they may claim
    that there's nothing they can do. If your rebate doesn't show up at
    their website, phone because you may get different information by
    phone than by Internet. And if it still doesn't show up, speak with a
    live person because they may be able to access information not
    available otherwise.

    According to someone who sued over a rebate in small claims court, the
    court clerk told him that the store is responsible for fulfilling the
    rebate, at least if they advertised the offer. Most stores are good
    about helping customers when a rebate doesn't go through, even if it's
    the manufacturer's, but I've found that Best Buy is the exception.
    They're usually reliable at delivering the checks, but if something
    goes wrong they'll go into Brad Anderson Cult Mode and simply deny,
    deny, deny, even if you prove to them that they made a mistake (I had
    a rebate form with a misprinted eligibility date). Best Buy is one of
    the most dishonest national store chains in existence.

    The best rebate processors are Young America (Minnesota), another
    company in St. Cloud, Minnesota, a company in Clinton, Iowa, and
    Parago (Texas, Florida). People have reported problems with a company
    in Walled Lake, Michigan and with one of the processors in Arizona
    (Continental Promotions, which also has an address in Niagara Falls,
    New York), although I've been having good luck with the other AZ
    company, Global Fulfillment (submission status online in 3-10 days,
    but when a late July submission didn't show up, I resubmitted by
    toll-free fax and got the check in a week). Many people think that
    TCA Fulfillment, in New Rochelle, New York, is the worst processor,
    and a few years ago most of my submissions became "lost", including a
    resubmission. If you have problems with them, try contacting user
    "tcacares" in the Fatwallet.com rebate forum because he's the company
    president.

    P T wrote:

    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    Personally I have stopped buying anything from these stores that
    require a rebate. I refuse to jump through the rebate hoop. I buy online
    from Newegg or others. Prices are better even after the rebate scams.

    Bob

    Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote in message news:<14643-415B30DD-96@storefull-3136.bay.webtv.net>...
    > The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    > hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >
    > What is your experience with such offer?
    > Did they pay you as promised?
    > Deny your rebate?
    > Ignore your rebate?
    >
    > (My experiences have been hit and miss.)

    I have been lucky to have received all the rebates that I have used
    in the past (more than 20). In my experience, Amazon.com rebates have
    been quick (on time) and with no hassles. You check their online rebate
    status check and keep track of your rebate as it goes thru several
    processing steps. I have bought cell phones from Amazon with $200
    rebates and I got it within 4 weeks. I always follow these steps :

    - Make a copy of the receipt, the UPC code, the rebate form and
    everything else that you are sending for a rebate

    - Send in the rebate forms as soon as you can (once you are happy
    with your purchase - note that most stores wont entertain return
    of the product with the UPC code cut out for rebates).

    - If the deadline for rebates is 2/3 weeks away and you have already
    submitted your rebate forms a few days back, call the rebate processing
    number or email asking if they received it. Most companies take a long
    time to process after they receive your rebate forms. If it is not the
    case, then you still have time to send another request. I had an incident
    where the rebate processors honoured a copy of my UPC code.

    - From time to time go check on the rebate status, make calls or check
    online. If everything goes fine. you will see your rebate processing
    jumping (slowly) forward to different stages.

    - Most rebate forms have a "allow 8-10 weeks of processing clause". Once
    it is around or beyond 8 weeks, keep calling them to follow up.

    In some cases I felt that the processing was done but until I called up,
    they never bothered to send the rebate checks.

    It takes some pain, but I maintain a rebate folder and remind myself to
    track the rebates in a bi-weekly basis.

    Overall with patience and these rebates, you get a lot of products for
    free. (Check ecost.com - 10 pack DVD-R discs free after rebate)..
    (yeah yeah I am a cheap guy)

    "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message > Two
    retailers, CVS and Costco, handle rebates the right way: You
    > simply register for them at their websites, using the serial numbers
    > off the receipts. I don't know why everybody doesn't do this because
    > unique receipt numbers make fraud difficult, and online processing is
    > cheaper for them.

    Just curious. Do you get a check or a store credit that you have to use at
    their store?

    ..

    "Andrew" <sde@oppo.com> wrote in message news:<jNC7d.11607$pN6.4172@fed1read06>...

    > "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > Two retailers, CVS and Costco, handle rebates the right way:
    > You simply register for them at their websites, using the serial
    > numbers off the receipts. I don't know why everybody doesn't do
    > this because unique receipt numbers make fraud difficult, and
    > online processing is cheaper for them.
    >
    > Just curious. Do you get a check or a store credit that you have
    > to use at their store?

    I don't know about CVS, but the Costco rebates are cash. I hate
    rebates paid in the form of gift cards. >:(

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:28:13 GMT, john doe
    <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

    >Petepenguin@webtv.net (P T) wrote
    >
    >> The ads from Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., always have memory,
    >> hds, etc., at killer prices, after a rebate.
    >> What is your experience with such offer?
    >> Did they pay you as promised?
    >> Deny your rebate?
    >> Ignore your rebate?
    >> (My experiences have been hit and miss.)
    >
    >Out of maybe two or three rebate requests, I sent one ($20) for purchasing
    >a Zoom modem and never got the rebate.
    >
    >I look to see if the product I am looking at has a rebate. If so, I move on
    >to the next item.
    >
    >Rebate offers disclaim responsibility. They are not responsible if your
    >rebate request form gets lost in the mail. They are not responsible if
    >their staff misplaces your rebate request form. They just aren't
    >responsible. Therefore they are illegitimate offers, IMO, not worth wasting
    >time considering.

    I have never had a problem with not receiving my rebates. I have
    filed about 30 of them. I make sure I scan copies of all documents
    and then mail them off. Once I called and said I had not received 2
    $5 game vouchers from EB, they said they went out over a month before.
    I told them I had copies of my forms and UPCs. They said it wasn't a
    problem and sent me two. I got them 3 days later. One other rebate
    to mention was the time BestBuy posted an incorrect rebate form on
    their website. It was for $70 instead of $50. It was only there for
    a day before they realized it and replaced it with the correct amount.
    They however honored my submission for the higher value.

    A friend of mine filled out a $50 rebate for a hard drive about a week
    past the date stated on the form. His rebate was processed anyway and
    he got his rebate promptly.

    I think the key is keeping copies of everything and making sure to
    follow-up if you don't hear back within the stated timeframe. I
    wonder if you ever tried to follow up on the Zoom rebate or just blew
    it off.

Homebuilt Hardware Memory Systems