Sign in with
Your question

WoW

Last response: in Video Games
November 26, 2004 7:30:02 PM

Just to tell everybody that World Of Warcraft is a damn good MMORPG!

In fact, it's the first MMO that I really enjoy! I wish I could return in the past, when I was 16 and had too much time to spend on Computers games...

Now, I'm 28 and have en 9 months old daughter that need me around her! I do really love her!

So, if anyone is playing WoW, you can mail me back! We could trade and/or play together sometimes!

Have a good week-end all!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

More about : wow

November 27, 2004 8:00:29 PM

With the exception of the first two days, I would agree. Lucky for me the wife and kids are gone this weekend so I'm getting plenty of game time. Most of the classes I've played so far (all to level 10 except Shaman,during first stress test and open beta) have been extremely fun. I've got 6 characters made (mostly Horde) and have yet to decide who my "main" is going to be (Troll Rogue? Undead Priest? Troll Mage(PvP)? or Dwarf Paladin?). Anyways, the game isn't too ground breaking yet it is highly addictive (taking away my CoH time).
November 29, 2004 10:50:08 AM

Blizzard really knows how to make GREAT games.

<b>"Keep It Simple And Fun"</b>

I don't have much time to spend on gaming, I actually stick with 1 character. A Human Paladin, I play in a small Guild with a few co-workers and friends. I do really enjoy every minutes of the games, except when I have to do those long corpse run!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>
Related resources
November 29, 2004 1:23:30 PM

Guys, thanks for your posts about this title. Just yesterday my wife was asking what I would like for Christmas and I continue to be inexplicably drawn to this title. Before using a gift choice on WoW I have a few questions because ever since UO I am very leery of MMORPGs. Some of it is due to forking over $15 a month for something I already would have paid about $50 for. However, I like the Warcraft universe even though I didn't care for the actual games. Plus, the graphics are IMO beautiful. So my questions about the game are based on what I hated about UO.

1. I know the risk is inherent to every online game, but has this been overrun and ruined by the d00dz?

2. What I like about WoW v UO is the presence of actual quests. Is the game worth getting based on this feature? I have always looked for an MMORPG that feels somewhat like a single player game. Will I be disappointed here?

3. I have read the big thing with WoW is being part of the Horde or the other group, which fight each other. Does this game degenerate into a PvP slugfest?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrandtP on 11/29/04 12:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 29, 2004 2:32:21 PM

First thing I want to tell you, is that I'm not a power gamer. I'm a father who likes to spend good time playing PC games to relax and have fun.

<b>1. I know the risk is inherent to every online game, but has this been overrun and ruined by the d00dz?</b>

Only time will tell! I hope Blizzard promptly correct anu bugs or abuse that could plague the game. Blizzard do everything they can to not ruin gaming experience, if the gaming experience is not good, you will not continue to subscribe and Blizzard don't want this.

One of my co-worker suggested me to play on Role-Playing server to insure a better RPG experience. I personnaly agree with him, but since my little guild is on a "normal" server, I do not play on RP server.

<b>2. What I like about WoW v UO is the presence of actual quests. Is the game worth getting based on this feature? I have always looked for an MMORPG that feels somewhat like a single player game. Will I be disappointed here?</b>

You will not be diesapointed at all, WoW is a Quest fest! You might even find that you get too much of them! I sometimes get a bit confused when I get 5 to 10 quests that sends me everywhere on the map to get/kill/explore...

In WoW, you always have an objective, and theorically you can get your character to level 60 in solo by questing. This would probably be very HARD and LONG, but it's theorically possible.

I have a level 10 Paladin and I must admit, that I start to have difficulty when it comes to soloing vs monstars that work in small group.

<b>3. I have read the big thing with WoW is being part of the Hoard or the other group, which fight each other. Does this game degenerate into a PvP slugfest?</b>

PvP is possible in WoW, but not mandatory, in low-level is nearly inexistant. You can duel other people for fun! However in higher level, you can get the opportunity to explore enemy territory and fight the opposing faction.

there is something very in the PvP rules... I don't know all the details, but i'll try to epxlain it to you...

For example an Orc player of level 24 go to the newbie "human" zone. Which is nearly impossible, since NPC guards are usually level 50+. If he can get there and starts to kill low level human player, the player will start to get a BAD BEHAVIOR reputation. When the player will return in is own territory, NPC will hunt him, because he "dishonor" the Horde by doing "cheesy" kills. In the long run, a plyer will ruin is character if he behaves badly.

Another important thing to know, is that you can't be attacked by the other faction, unless you initiate the attack...

I don't know eveything about PvP since I'm "newbie" to the game, I haven't played the beta for weeks like others!

Overall, World Of Warcraft is an incredible game, that blends well everything I like in Blizzard games...

- Good story line through Questing
- Fast action (Near Diablo 2 speed, minus the "vs 10's enemies at a time")
- Amazing cartoonish graphics
- Gorgeous and big world! (I played for 10 hours my Paladin, and I'm still in the "newbie" zone)
- Near-Zero Grinding... You don't need to roam in the world to kill hundreds of beast without reasons, just to get EXP.
- Variety in gameplay with each class (And over this, each class have it's own place, not every class are made equal or similar)
- Easy to understand and use UI (if you get the game, install the CosmosUI add-on, which is very very good!)

The only problem I found yet, is the fact that sometimes it can get a bit confusing to roam through 5 to 10 quests (max. 20) at a given time. It can get a bit confusing when you are use to a more "linear" system. But, on the other this ensure the player, that there is ALWAYS things to do).

Blizzard always made incredible games, I bought all Blizzard title since WarCraft II blindly and I never got disapointed. I'm pretty my actual 3 months subscription will turn into 6 months (or even more).

-
November 29, 2004 3:38:08 PM

Rod, thanks for the information. It sounds like this may be worth getting. It's good to know about the PvP, as I would be buying the game more for the questing than taking on the Horde. What I really wish is for a single player CRPG set in the Warcraft world.

I forgot one other thing I hated about UO. That is, no matter where you went it was always packed to the brim with other players. Lonely, out of the way ruins were always teeming with players. Obviously the cities will be, but when you wander the wilderness are you ever alone?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrandtP on 11/29/04 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 29, 2004 4:28:09 PM

Quote:
What I really wish is for a single player CRPG set in the Warcraft world.

I would really like to see a game like that in the future. But, as I mentioned about WoW, you can do lot of "solo" stuff. And if you buy the game someday, I'll be glad to help you questing when you will need more power to get through tough quests. I'm a casual gamer, and the other Guild member I play with respect this! They often travel back to me to help, which is really appreciated! In exchange, I gave them potions that I make with my Herbalist/Alchimist professions.

I personnaly consider WoW a very potent CRPG with the addition of the MMO ambiance and community.

Quote:
That is, no matter where you went it was always packed to the brim with other players. Lonely, out of the way ruins were always teeming with players. Obviously the cities will be, but when you wander the wilderness are you ever alone?

For my first week experience, I find the world correctly crowded. I never feel like we are too much in a specific area. I only waited in 2 occasions for a "Quest Boss" spawning, and on both occasion I waited less than 2 minutes.

Blizzard dynamically adjust monsters spawning with the number of players in a specific area. So, you never get overwhelmed by monsters and on the other hand you never have to wait for the monsters to spawn.

And to make everyone is not waiting in queue to kill boss. Some area are "instanced". This mean that each group entering a specific part of the game world are in their own "copy" of this sector. By doing this, many people can do the same quests without the annoying "wait for the spawn and hit the boss first to get the Kill". I did not entered "instance" yet, since they are in higher level regions.

Actually, on my server, I felt that there was not enough player in the Capital City. Yes, I encountered many players in Stormwind, but I would have liked to see more people in the city. Maybe, Blizzard scaled these city a bit too large considering the player base.

But, I really liked the fact, that there is a lot of NPC roaming around... You can find nomad merchants on the road between 2 cities which can sold you basics items that are usefull when you are in the wilderness and don't want to go back to the nearest city to get food/healing potions. I also saw in Stormwind a teacher with about 10 kids around, this was very funny, kind of a living world!

-
November 30, 2004 1:57:02 PM

The best review I have read yet about WoW, not only because they gave 9.5/10 for the game. They explain the gameplay/feel really well!

<A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/review.h..." target="_new">http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/review.h...;/A>

-
December 3, 2004 7:50:53 AM

About finding the game crowded -

Honestly, just pick a different server. I started on Garona on launch day, but eventually found that I was getting too much lag. I moved to one of the new servers Blizzard just implemented (Dunemaul) and honestly find it a bit empty.

Crowding is only happening because people are stubbornly sticking to a few servers.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
December 3, 2004 1:06:25 PM

Alright, I'm convinced. I may go pick this gem up today. I wanted to get playing before Christmas as I'm sure the servers will be very crowded during that time.
December 6, 2004 12:18:40 PM

When you will get the game, tell us about your experience. I had lot of fun last night, I teamed with a Night Elf Druid in WestFall to do some quest, this was good. Pally and Druid work pretty well together!

-
December 6, 2004 5:06:31 PM

I am in Eredar :( 

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature
!