Chris Sawyer's Locomotion - Should I get it?

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

So what's the consensus on Locomotion? Now that it's available for pre-order
should I:
(a) get it now and be one of the first to play it
(b) wait a while for the bugs to be worked out
(c) wait a while for the price to come down or
(d) forget about it and go play another game of TTD

Any votes?

Matthew
13 answers Last reply
More about chris sawyer locomotion
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Matthew Clark wrote on Sat, 24 Jul 2004 04:00:03 GMT:
    > So what's the consensus on Locomotion? Now that it's available for pre-order
    > should I:
    > (a) get it now and be one of the first to play it
    > (b) wait a while for the bugs to be worked out
    > (c) wait a while for the price to come down or
    > (d) forget about it and go play another game of TTD
    >
    > Any votes?

    Abstain pending further information.

    It has some good ideas, perhaps a more complex economy, more varied
    vehicle types (trams spring to mind), but also some things that are much
    more simplified than in TTD, for example no servicing depots. The
    graphics seem a bit dull, though that's not much of an issue for me.

    Still, I'll wait for the demo and make up my mind then.

    --
    Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
    ---------------------------------+---------------------------------------

    "Matthew Clark" <clarkbhm@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >So what's the consensus on Locomotion? Now that it's available for pre-order
    >should I:
    >(a) get it now and be one of the first to play it
    >(b) wait a while for the bugs to be worked out
    >(c) wait a while for the price to come down or
    >(d) forget about it and go play another game of TTD
    >
    >Any votes?

    Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!

    It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.

    A quantum leap ahead of TTD, I would say.

    Tony
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    TP wrote:

    > Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!

    > It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    > building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.

    I think I would add a "planning stage" for the railroad. Sometimes it's
    hard to get the turning endpoint right on the first try and
    building/demolishing the track costs money...

    > A quantum leap ahead of TTD, I would say.

    IMO the demo lacks time-controls (at least pause, slow, normal, fast)

    And a "free play" should be possible on a random map, just as in the TTD.

    Different location could be nice, too.

    Or may be the last part will appear in Locomotion DeLuxe? ;)

    Jo'Asia

    --
    english-signature
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Jo'Asia wrote on Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:04:16 +0200:
    > TP wrote:
    >
    > > Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!
    >
    > > It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    > > building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.
    >
    > I think I would add a "planning stage" for the railroad. Sometimes it's
    > hard to get the turning endpoint right on the first try and
    > building/demolishing the track costs money...

    Yeah that would be useful.

    > > A quantum leap ahead of TTD, I would say.
    >
    > IMO the demo lacks time-controls (at least pause, slow, normal, fast)

    In your opinion? Did you look at the bottom-right corner of the screen?

    > And a "free play" should be possible on a random map, just as in the TTD.

    According to Gamespot, the game will have random scenarios in addition to
    the "challenge" scenarios.

    > Different location could be nice, too.

    Location for what?

    --
    Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
    ---------------------------------+---------------------------------------
    Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
    Play Hockey, not Baseball. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Josef Drexler wrote:

    >> IMO the demo lacks time-controls (at least pause, slow, normal, fast)

    > In your opinion? Did you look at the bottom-right corner of the screen?

    Hm. It's possible I did not :)

    >> Different location could be nice, too.

    > Location for what?

    Just as in TTD - desert/tropical, mountain, Mars, every one with different
    set of industries, cargos and wagons/cars etc.

    Jo'Asia

    --
    english-signature
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:49:56 +0100, TP <tp@nospam.net> wrote:

    >Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!
    >
    >It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    >building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.

    In what way?? In TTD, you could build a 6x4 station with one click.
    With Locomotion, it takes FORTY-EIGHT clicks! I still haven't figured
    out how to make a working double-track. One of my problems is that I
    haven't figured out how to make a one-way signal.

    In a multi-station layout, I've tried merging the tracks, but the
    result always looks like a drunk put it together and didn't bother to
    actually connect the tracks.

    The rail graphics look cartoonish and sloppy. You can no longer
    simply drag yourself a long rail line. You've got to click forever to
    get it done.

    >A quantum leap ahead of TTD, I would say.

    It should have been named Transport Tycoon Desuxe.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Arcfus Barcwinkle" <arcfus@whodere.yank> schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:49:56 +0100, TP <tp@nospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!
    > >
    > >It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    > >building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.
    >
    > In what way?? In TTD, you could build a 6x4 station with one click.
    > With Locomotion, it takes FORTY-EIGHT clicks! I still haven't figured
    > out how to make a working double-track. One of my problems is that I
    > haven't figured out how to make a one-way signal.
    >
    > In a multi-station layout, I've tried merging the tracks, but the
    > result always looks like a drunk put it together and didn't bother to
    > actually connect the tracks.
    >
    > The rail graphics look cartoonish and sloppy. You can no longer
    > simply drag yourself a long rail line. You've got to click forever to
    > get it done.
    >
    > >A quantum leap ahead of TTD, I would say.
    >
    > It should have been named Transport Tycoon Desuxe.

    I think that Locoblowtion would be a more suitable term for that description.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Arcfus Barcwinkle wrote on Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:41:16 -0400:
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:49:56 +0100, TP <tp@nospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Having tried the demo, I want Locomotion and I want it now!
    > >
    > >It still has all the charm of TTD, but the RCT-style interface for
    > >building railroad track, structures and stations is outstanding.
    >
    > In what way?? In TTD, you could build a 6x4 station with one click.

    Now you couldn't... only 5x4 ;)

    > With Locomotion, it takes FORTY-EIGHT clicks! I still haven't figured
    > out how to make a working double-track.

    That's one of the disadvantages of the flexibility of not having to make
    rectangular stations. Me, I'd rather have the flexibility.

    > One of my problems is that I
    > haven't figured out how to make a one-way signal.

    Just click the one-way signal icon in the signal construction window.

    > In a multi-station layout, I've tried merging the tracks, but the
    > result always looks like a drunk put it together and didn't bother to
    > actually connect the tracks.

    It takes some practise, but you'll get better at it I'm sure.

    --
    Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
    ---------------------------------+---------------------------------------
    Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
    Use tape&glue, no paperweights | Don't remove the "nospam" part.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    "Josef Drexler" <nospam0804@joesbox.cjb.net> wrote in message
    >> In a multi-station layout, I've tried merging the tracks, but the
    >> result always looks like a drunk put it together and didn't bother to
    >> actually connect the tracks.
    >
    > It takes some practise, but you'll get better at it I'm sure.

    Can you make proper double track stations with an overall roof, or are you
    stuck with what looks like 40 odd seperate blocks joined together?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Michael Rodgers wrote on Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:51:14 +0100:
    > "Josef Drexler" <nospam0804@joesbox.cjb.net> wrote in message
    > >> In a multi-station layout, I've tried merging the tracks, but the
    > >> result always looks like a drunk put it together and didn't bother to
    > >> actually connect the tracks.
    > >
    > > It takes some practise, but you'll get better at it I'm sure.
    >
    > Can you make proper double track stations with an overall roof, or are you
    > stuck with what looks like 40 odd seperate blocks joined together?

    They combine to make a nice looking roof, it's all automatic.

    --
    Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
    ---------------------------------+---------------------------------------
    Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
    Stop flipping pancakes. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    hello All:

    I have played the demo and have played the full version of the game called
    Locomotion, it is magor leap in graphics
    from TTD times and better looking vehicles
    as well, I state this I play this for 9 hours
    every day Just like playing the game.

    Czar Aleksander
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    you should'nt get it, it is an Atari 'last drag' at the once-impressive TDD
    franchise.
    ~Ben

    Where will Micro$oft try to drag you today?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

    Benji147461027 wrote on 21 Sep 2004 16:23:26 GMT:
    > you should'nt get it, it is an Atari 'last drag' at the once-impressive TDD
    > franchise.

    What a wonderful argument. Anything that someone tries to make money
    from means it's bad? Good grief. Especially since Locomotion is so much
    less expensive than most other new games.

    And it's TTD, not TDD unless you're talking about a telecommunications
    device for the deaf.

    But really, the demo is a very good indicator of the game. If you like
    the demo, you'll like the game. If you don't like the demo, play it
    another couple of times until you do, it's apparently an aquired taste
    for some :)

    --
    Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
    Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
    Play Chess, not Basketball. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.

Games Bug Video Games