Cannot share printer or files but have wireless internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 5, 2005 3:23:03 PM

I have a belkin wireless G router 802.11g which is connected to my desktop
(the host computer) my laptop is fitted with an intergrated WLAN 802.11. My
laptop shows an excellent signal from the router and I can access the
internet from both computers. The problem is that although I have completed
the NETWORK SETUP WIZARD on both computers and have SHARING enabled on my
printer and files I cannot view the files or find the priter on my laptop.
When I ADD printer on the laptop it searches and finds my network but does
not list the printer name.
Do I need a WIRELESS DESKTOP NETWORK CARD fitting to my desktop computer or
am I missing something else? Please help!
July 5, 2005 9:19:02 PM

i have a similar problem over here, i have a laptop that uses a wireless
connection with a Linksys wrt54gs router, and i can connect to the internet
without any problem. my problem occurs when i try to connect (filesharing and
printersharing) with the other computers that have a wired connection with
the same router. I also executed the required steps in the Network wizard
setup on all the computers, but nothing seems to work. Is this because i am
trying to combine both wireless and wired connections for networking or is
there another solution to this issue?

Thank you very much in advance

Bruno

"tombraider" wrote:

> I have a belkin wireless G router 802.11g which is connected to my desktop
> (the host computer) my laptop is fitted with an intergrated WLAN 802.11. My
> laptop shows an excellent signal from the router and I can access the
> internet from both computers. The problem is that although I have completed
> the NETWORK SETUP WIZARD on both computers and have SHARING enabled on my
> printer and files I cannot view the files or find the priter on my laptop.
> When I ADD printer on the laptop it searches and finds my network but does
> not list the printer name.
> Do I need a WIRELESS DESKTOP NETWORK CARD fitting to my desktop computer or
> am I missing something else? Please help!
July 6, 2005 12:37:03 AM

No, to both of you, because I have a wireless adapter in my laptop and a
onboard nic in my desktop. I had the same problem, could only share the
internet. What I did was turn off my firewalls (zonealarm), ping both pcs
back and forth. pinged by name and ip address. Magic!!~ Once I was able to
print, everything else fell into place. In my case it was the firewall and
much browsing, pinging, etc. Computer browser service was on and started,
that's another. wish I could say more, but that is what I did to get the
sharing and printing working.
good luck
Frank L

"bruno" <bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a similar problem over here, i have a laptop that uses a wireless
> connection with a Linksys wrt54gs router, and i can connect to the
> internet
> without any problem. my problem occurs when i try to connect (filesharing
> and
> printersharing) with the other computers that have a wired connection with
> the same router. I also executed the required steps in the Network wizard
> setup on all the computers, but nothing seems to work. Is this because i
> am
> trying to combine both wireless and wired connections for networking or is
> there another solution to this issue?
>
> Thank you very much in advance
>
> Bruno
>
> "tombraider" wrote:
>
>> I have a belkin wireless G router 802.11g which is connected to my
>> desktop
>> (the host computer) my laptop is fitted with an intergrated WLAN 802.11.
>> My
>> laptop shows an excellent signal from the router and I can access the
>> internet from both computers. The problem is that although I have
>> completed
>> the NETWORK SETUP WIZARD on both computers and have SHARING enabled on my
>> printer and files I cannot view the files or find the priter on my
>> laptop.
>> When I ADD printer on the laptop it searches and finds my network but
>> does
>> not list the printer name.
>> Do I need a WIRELESS DESKTOP NETWORK CARD fitting to my desktop computer
>> or
>> am I missing something else? Please help!
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2005 3:23:02 PM

I'll try that thanks Frank. How do you 'PING' both a PC?

"Frank" wrote:

> No, to both of you, because I have a wireless adapter in my laptop and a
> onboard nic in my desktop. I had the same problem, could only share the
> internet. What I did was turn off my firewalls (zonealarm), ping both pcs
> back and forth. pinged by name and ip address. Magic!!~ Once I was able to
> print, everything else fell into place. In my case it was the firewall and
> much browsing, pinging, etc. Computer browser service was on and started,
> that's another. wish I could say more, but that is what I did to get the
> sharing and printing working.
> good luck
> Frank L
>
> "bruno" <bruno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have a similar problem over here, i have a laptop that uses a wireless
> > connection with a Linksys wrt54gs router, and i can connect to the
> > internet
> > without any problem. my problem occurs when i try to connect (filesharing
> > and
> > printersharing) with the other computers that have a wired connection with
> > the same router. I also executed the required steps in the Network wizard
> > setup on all the computers, but nothing seems to work. Is this because i
> > am
> > trying to combine both wireless and wired connections for networking or is
> > there another solution to this issue?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance
> >
> > Bruno
> >
> > "tombraider" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a belkin wireless G router 802.11g which is connected to my
> >> desktop
> >> (the host computer) my laptop is fitted with an intergrated WLAN 802.11.
> >> My
> >> laptop shows an excellent signal from the router and I can access the
> >> internet from both computers. The problem is that although I have
> >> completed
> >> the NETWORK SETUP WIZARD on both computers and have SHARING enabled on my
> >> printer and files I cannot view the files or find the priter on my
> >> laptop.
> >> When I ADD printer on the laptop it searches and finds my network but
> >> does
> >> not list the printer name.
> >> Do I need a WIRELESS DESKTOP NETWORK CARD fitting to my desktop computer
> >> or
> >> am I missing something else? Please help!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2005 3:46:09 PM

That was it Frank! I turned off my firewalls and went through the home
network setup again.... I've got wireless shared files and printer! Thanks
for your help

!