Nero & Sony DVD Writer Problem - HELP!!!

Hi,

I'm new but hope that someone will take pity on me and help me out
with this problem. My brother is a computer engineering student and I
usually can rely on him for things like this but he is clueless when
it comes to DVD burning etc.

I have just bought an OEM Sony DVD Writer (DW22) so I am trying to use
it with Nero 6. All I am trying to do is a direct copy of a video DVD
(not copyrighted or anything like that). It all burns sucessfuly but
when I try and play the disc I get a 'Disc Not Formatted' message -
'the disc may be corrupt or in a format windows does not recognise'.
It will also not play on my normal household DVD Player - on that I
just get a 'disc error' message.

This is doing a direct copy with my other DVD drive as the source.
When I try and do a copy with just the DVD writer drive acting as the
source and th burner the message 'can only copy title 1 to DVD'
appears and although I can get to the menu screen with the completed
disc I cannot get any further.

Any help greatly appreciated.

>Hi,
>
>I'm new but hope that someone will take pity on me and help me out
>with this problem. My brother is a computer engineering student and I
>usually can rely on him for things like this but he is clueless when
>it comes to DVD burning etc.
>
>I have just bought an OEM Sony DVD Writer (DW22) so I am trying to use
>it with Nero 6. All I am trying to do is a direct copy of a video DVD
>(not copyrighted or anything like that). It all burns sucessfuly but
>when I try and play the disc I get a 'Disc Not Formatted' message -
>'the disc may be corrupt or in a format windows does not recognise'.
>It will also not play on my normal household DVD Player - on that I
>just get a 'disc error' message.
>
>This is doing a direct copy with my other DVD drive as the source.
>When I try and do a copy with just the DVD writer drive acting as the
>source and th burner the message 'can only copy title 1 to DVD'
>appears and although I can get to the menu screen with the completed
>disc I cannot get any further.
>
>Any help greatly appreciated.

I had this with an I/O Magic drive, Nero 6 Ultra, and Sony 4X discs.
Nero would auto detect them at 8x. Would burn them and say it worked.
Only they didn't work in any drive. Choosing 4X or less fixed it. If
that doesn't help use the other media type. If you're using -R try +R
or vise versa.

I read somewhere else that I should try disabling IMAPI in the system
settings, anyone else hear of this?

AndrewJ <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote

> I had this with an I/O Magic drive, Nero 6 Ultra, and Sony 4X discs.
> Nero would auto detect them at 8x. Would burn them and say it worked.
> Only they didn't work in any drive. Choosing 4X or less fixed it. If
> that doesn't help use the other media type.

Is there a special measure for DVD burning, or is it the same as CD? I
cannot imagine burning many gigabytes of data at 4x.

>Is there a special measure for DVD burning, or is it the same as CD? I
>cannot imagine burning many gigabytes of data at 4x.

Yes, 1X DVD is egual to about 7X CDR. DVD 8X takes about 6 minutes to
burn over 4GB of data.

"AndrewJ" <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm new but hope that someone will take pity on me and help me out
> >with this problem. My brother is a computer engineering student and I
> >usually can rely on him for things like this but he is clueless when
> >it comes to DVD burning etc.
> >
> >I have just bought an OEM Sony DVD Writer (DW22) so I am trying to use
> >it with Nero 6. All I am trying to do is a direct copy of a video DVD
> >(not copyrighted or anything like that). It all burns sucessfuly but
> >when I try and play the disc I get a 'Disc Not Formatted' message -
> >'the disc may be corrupt or in a format windows does not recognise'.
> >It will also not play on my normal household DVD Player - on that I
> >just get a 'disc error' message.
> >
> >This is doing a direct copy with my other DVD drive as the source.
> >When I try and do a copy with just the DVD writer drive acting as the
> >source and th burner the message 'can only copy title 1 to DVD'
> >appears and although I can get to the menu screen with the completed
> >disc I cannot get any further.
> >
> >Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> I had this with an I/O Magic drive, Nero 6 Ultra, and Sony 4X discs.
> Nero would auto detect them at 8x. Would burn them and say it worked.
> Only they didn't work in any drive. Choosing 4X or less fixed it. If
> that doesn't help use the other media type. If you're using -R try +R
> or vise versa.

DVDShrink is a very good program for copying DVDs, and its free!
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

ME

john doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>AndrewJ <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> I had this with an I/O Magic drive, Nero 6 Ultra, and Sony 4X discs.
>> Nero would auto detect them at 8x. Would burn them and say it worked.
>> Only they didn't work in any drive. Choosing 4X or less fixed it. If
>> that doesn't help use the other media type.
>
>Is there a special measure for DVD burning, or is it the same as CD? I
>cannot imagine burning many gigabytes of data at 4x.

Not special just different in the same way that a DVD is different from a
CD.

http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa4.htm

Hope this helps

Andy

"Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote
> john doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
>>AndrewJ <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I had this with an I/O Magic drive, Nero 6 Ultra, and Sony 4X discs.
>>> Nero would auto detect them at 8x. Would burn them and say it worked.
>>> Only they didn't work in any drive. Choosing 4X or less fixed it. If
>>> that doesn't help use the other media type.
>>
>>Is there a special measure for DVD burning, or is it the same as CD? I
>>cannot imagine burning many gigabytes of data at 4x.
>
> Not special just different in the same way that a DVD is different from a
> CD.

Semantically speaking, maybe "different" is a better word. But you knew
what I meant.