USB ADSL Modem

I upgraded from 256 to 512 with tiscali, when downloading a file i get
around 60kbps, but wen browsing internet pages my speed struggles to reach
25kbps.
I'm using a Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem, i got the updated driver, but wen
installing it asks me to pick which one from these

--

Its aaaareight..

"Timmy Malet" <THeeAndMEE@SPAMCENTRALSTATION.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded from 256 to 512 with tiscali, when downloading a file i get
> around 60kbps, but wen browsing internet pages my speed struggles to reach
> 25kbps.
> I'm using a Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem, i got the updated driver, but wen
> installing it asks me to pick which one from these
>
> --
>
> Its aaaareight..

It sounds to me like there's no problem here. Theoretically, your maximum
download speed is about ~51kbps. You've already found out that your
connection will do faster than that, as you are getting 60kbps. If the
speed drops when browsing Internet pages, the problem is not local. I think
changing the driver is likely to do more harm than good, as your connection
is already maxed out, speed-wise. -Dave

Timmy Malet wrote:
> I upgraded from 256 to 512 with tiscali, when downloading a file i get
> around 60kbps, but wen browsing internet pages my speed struggles to
> reach 25kbps.
> I'm using a Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem, i got the updated driver, but
> wen installing it asks me to pick which one from these

as i was saying, to pick one from these:
PPPoA VCMLX 8/35
PPPoA VCMLX 8/48
PPPoA VCMLX 0/33
PPPoA VCMLX 0/35
PPPoA VCMLX 0/38
PPPoA VCMLX 1/32
PPPoA VCMLX 1/33
PPPoE LLC 0/33
PPPoE LLC 0/35
PPPoE LLC 1/32
PPPoE LLC 8/32
PPPoE LLC 8/35
RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/100
RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/101
RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/33

I've tried a few an none except the one i point to seem to work, and it only
works at low speeds like b4, i don't know what to do.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
--

Its aaaareight..

Dee

Timmy Malet wrote:

> Timmy Malet wrote:
>
>>I upgraded from 256 to 512 with tiscali, when downloading a file i get
>>around 60kbps, but wen browsing internet pages my speed struggles to
>>reach 25kbps.
>>I'm using a Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem, i got the updated driver, but
>>wen installing it asks me to pick which one from these
>

> as i was saying, to pick one from these:
> PPPoA VCMLX 8/35
> PPPoA VCMLX 8/48
> PPPoA VCMLX 0/33
> PPPoA VCMLX 0/35
> PPPoA VCMLX 0/38
> PPPoA VCMLX 1/32
> PPPoA VCMLX 1/33
> PPPoE LLC 0/33
> PPPoE LLC 0/35
> PPPoE LLC 1/32
> PPPoE LLC 8/32
> PPPoE LLC 8/35
> RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/100
> RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/101
> RFC1483 Bridge LLC 0/33
>
> I've tried a few an none except the one i point to seem to work, and it only
> works at low speeds like b4, i don't know what to do.
> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks
> --
>
> Its aaaareight..

Call your DSL provider Tech Support. They know more about your
situation than most anyone here would.

Dave C. wrote:
> "Timmy Malet" <THeeAndMEE@SPAMCENTRALSTATION.com> wrote in message
>> I upgraded from 256 to 512 with tiscali, when downloading a file i
>> get around 60kbps, but wen browsing internet pages my speed
>> struggles to reach 25kbps.
>> I'm using a Sagem Fast 800 ADSL modem, i got the updated driver, but
>> wen installing it asks me to pick which one from these
>>
>> --
>>
>> Its aaaareight..
>>

> It sounds to me like there's no problem here. Theoretically, your
> maximum download speed is about ~51kbps. You've already found out
> that your connection will do faster than that, as you are getting
> 60kbps. If the speed drops when browsing Internet pages, the problem
> is not local. I think changing the driver is likely to do more harm
> than good, as your connection is already maxed out, speed-wise. -Dave

Yes but logic says it should load pages faster using 512 than 256, to me its

Its aaaareight..

>> It sounds to me like there's no problem here. Theoretically, your
>> maximum download speed is about ~51kbps. You've already found out
>> that your connection will do faster than that, as you are getting
>> 60kbps. If the speed drops when browsing Internet pages, the problem
>> is not local. I think changing the driver is likely to do more harm
>> than good, as your connection is already maxed out, speed-wise. -Dave
>
> Yes but logic says it should load pages faster using 512 than 256, to me
> its

Not necessarily. If you are browsing web pages, your speed is somewhat
dependent on UPLOAD speed. I'm guessing the UPLOAD speed was unchanged when
going from 256 to 512, right? To understand what I'm talking about, I
recently had two DSL connections. #1 was ADSL, 128 up/1.5M down. #2 was
SDSL 1M up/1M down. #2 was actually faster, although #1 had theoretically
faster download speeds. -Dave

> Yes but logic says it should load pages faster using 512 than 256, to me
> its

Not true Timmy, downloading files will always be faster then downloading web
pages. And it's not down to your downstream, it's the other end of the
connection that matters.

Your downstream means someone else's upstream, generally web pages don't
need to load at 60kbps unless they have a massive amount of flash or
graphics.

A normal web page won't need to load as fast as 60kbps downstream. You're
doing well, i also have 512/128 here in Ireland and we average 50-53kbps
downstream.

You're doing very well at 60.