Phone Diaries: More Time With the Samsung Galaxy S III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Complaining about Touchwiz is pretty pointless. There are so many alternatives out there. I personally use NOVA Launcher. High customization and efficiency. Problem solved. Yes the S3 is a really great phone.

But you also have got to consider bang for buck. It's nearly $700. The Nexus I believe could have been had for around $300 a while back. Nexus is still a great phone.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Oh and that's coming from an S3 owner. It's an excellent phone, one of the best, if not the best. But it's not the phone to end all phones that it's made out to be.

I'm satisfied with it. I wish I could get quad core with LTE however. Battery life could always be better. Lots of things to always tweak and improve. That's the most fun part!

G

@Cinergy

And it will only get better with the 920 and windows 8 now it has dual core and a HD screen

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I did touch the Lumia 900... its a rather bulky feel compared the the SGS3. The newer Lumia phones are glossy, but with the same material. The 820 looks pretty damn good and is an upgrade from the L800/900 easily.

Oh... I can run WP7 like interface on my Android phone... so I'll stick with Android.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Well, if android OS has some trojans you don't want to count what windows have..
And i will stick to android for mobiles for another reason too, they are easier to customize and they do their job pretty well and pretty fast even at 150euro cost phone :)

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]Android belongs to the past. Try Lumia 900 and you don't want to touch that pos phone again. That's what happened to me.[/citation]
Most people want indeed the most robust, stable and easy to use system out of the box and that's exactly the experience that Windows Phones provides although the system may look a bit limited to some of us. I imagine that many business users that are now running Blackberries (cause they have to) or iPhones (most of the time without the support of their company's IT dpt) will want to switch to Windows as it is now becoming a mature platform.
Only for the geeks of us, Android phones may remain unbeatable for a while as we can play with different ROMS and customize everything the way we want it (at least if that particular model saw significant sales). But let's be honest: security wise and technicaly, it is not the best platform out there.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]Android belongs to the past. Try Lumia 900 and you don't want to touch that pos phone again. That's what happened to me.[/citation]
...except that most people won't want to leave their apps behind and switch to an ecosystem with 1/100th the number of apps and services. (did you forget about that?)

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
One thing samsung did right with the TouchWiz launcher is how smooth it is. hardware acceleration done right.
Even my old SGS2 with TW4 launcher is as smooth as my JBeaned nexus 7, if not smoother.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]lol and then the iPhone 5 will come out and smoke everything on the market including that POS phone.[/citation]
You typed 'phone' where you meant to type 'seels'

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]lol and then the iPhone 5 will come out and smoke everything on the market including that POS phone.[/citation]

Of course it will, it is a phone made by the mighty Lord Steve J. wait, isn't LSJ dead already? Wake up man.
Of course it will, it got bigger screen. Comes with growth hormone to make your current hands bigger, so your hands will fit perfectly onto the phone. (get it? your hands will fit the phone, instead the other way around.) Welcome to 2010, Galaxy S has that same screen size.
Of course it will, it will take care of you, just like your mom did. Siri, please change my diaper, and may I call you mom?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]Most people want indeed the most robust, stable and easy to use system out of the box and that's exactly the experience that Windows Phones provides although the system may look a bit limited to some of us. I imagine that many business users that are now running Blackberries ~ will want to switch to Windows as it is now becoming a mature platform.[/citation] I don't agree. Where is it mature? Most of the features shown on the Lumia 820/920 have been available for Android for quite some time. The Camera on the Lumia 820/920 is perhaps the best in the world.

But for apps, stability, security... its either not there or unknown. With WP7 owning 1% of the market, at best, is not impressive. Android and iOS have proven that the world DOES NOT NEED MICROSOFT.

The WP8 phone doesn't make it Windows Compatible. That is kind of like saying you can swap out parts between a Chevy Volt and the Chevy Camero. What few people who love WP7 will love WP8.

If people LOVE Windows 8, then *THAT WILL* translate into WP8 sales...
If people HATE Windows 8, then the WP8 market will move a bit better than WP7... but the confidence isn't there. When WP9 comes out, does that mean WP8 becomes dead like WP7 and WP6 of the past?

The success of WP8 and Windows 8 Tablets will all depend on the public reception and perception of Windows8 on the desktop. Since there is not a single living human being I have meant in person who has tried/used Windows8 and loved it or liked it.... that is not a good sign. (Yes, I know some people love Win8).

iPhone5 = will murder the Nokia Lumia x20 phones. Galaxy3 phone sales will tamper off... we'll see a galaxy 4 phone around May - since its updated yearly. RIM may come out with their BB10 phone... and will go out in a wimper.

Niche biz will continue to buy the W8-x86 tablets + some fanboys, as most people are just not going to drop $1200 for a tablet to check facebook and browse the web when a $400 tablet will do.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Oh and that's coming from an S3 owner. It's an excellent phone, one of the best, if not the best. But it's not the phone to end all phones that it's made out to be.I'm satisfied with it. I wish I could get quad core with LTE however. Battery life could always be better. Lots of things to always tweak and improve. That's the most fun part![/citation]

I am not trying to be pretentious in anyway, but I ask everyone who says they need "quad core" in their phone the same question? Why do you need quad core phone? No game or app is to much for current quad core processors. Do you do protein folding on your phone? or just to brag?

Status
Not open for further replies.